Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts? on 04/14/2014 08:57:27 MDT Print View

I have a pair of MLD Event rain mitt shells, and I'd like to add a extra adjustable bungie style strap that goes around the wrist and not just the upper arm as nicer alternative to using something like rubber bands. I fin this much more comfortable as the mitts don't feel like there are going to slip off.

Any suggestion about how to attach this. I'm thinking that sewing the bungie directly onto the outside is a mistake and I probably should reinforce the area. Anyone with some experience in this type of thing have any advice?

I suppose the "fancy" way to do this would be to sew some kind of tube of material on the outside and run the cord through that. Any idea about what to make the tube out of?

Edited by millonas on 04/14/2014 09:00:07 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts? on 04/14/2014 09:07:13 MDT Print View

I would use velcro with a ladder loop so the strap can double back on itself. OR and others have used that for the wrist adjustment on their mittens.

velcro mitten wrist adjuster

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts? on 04/14/2014 09:24:22 MDT Print View

Yes, this would bet the best, and most comfortable. I was looking for maybe a UL solutions. I have a beautiful pair of more heavy duty gortex Tufbag mitts that weigh twice as much, and they have webbing wrist straps - buckles instead of velcro. Yep, I know, 1st world problem. LOL

I am worried about the abrasion on the outside of the eVent that could result from having a bare bungee rubbing on it, so webbing - maybe lighter weight that picture above - is somewhat attractive for that reason.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
lycra edging strip? on 04/14/2014 11:11:53 MDT Print View

I made a pair of overmitts many years ago. The original plan was to sew a piece of lycra edging strip across the inside of the back of the hand (i.e. inside the mitt) , but in the end, I simply sewed the ends of the strip into the side seams, and didn't bother with attaching the strip any further. It worked just fine.

For a pre-existing mitt, you'd have to open up the side seam, insert the edging strip, and then re-sew and re-seal.

An alternative method might be to try using iron-on seam seal tape to secure the strip to the mitt; use a piece of seam tape either side of the lycra edging strip, at both ends, and iron in place.

I can't guarantee how long the adhesive will last, or how well it will stick (DWR has an effect here). But you wouldn't have to attack the mitt with seam ripper or scissors...

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts? on 04/14/2014 16:36:31 MDT Print View

An ultralight solution might be to make those velcro staps out of tyvek.

Edited by jshann on 04/14/2014 16:37:03 MDT.

David Scheidt
(dscheidt) - F
ultra light on 04/14/2014 18:19:54 MDT Print View

an ultra light way, that doesn't involve a seam ripper, would be a bit of something like tenacious tape to hold on a piece of 'webbing' made from tyvek, with a tiny bit of velcro.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts? on 04/14/2014 18:20:39 MDT Print View

That is an old, old problem, with no good solution.

If you put the mitt outside the sleeve, water will run down the sleeve into the mitt when your arm hangs downwards - strap or no strap.
If you put the mitt inside the sleeve, water will run down the mitt inside your sleeve when your arm points upwards. But your mitt does not need a strap then.

You are gunna get wet!

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts? on 04/14/2014 18:41:01 MDT Print View

"If you put the mitt outside the sleeve, water will run down the sleeve into the mitt when your arm hangs downwards - strap or no strap.
If you put the mitt inside the sleeve, water will run down the mitt inside your sleeve when your arm points upwards. But your mitt does not need a strap then."

The person who understands this well is a skier.

--B.G.--

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts? on 04/14/2014 19:40:47 MDT Print View

some athletic shoelaces are tubular, and have pretty much the right softness you might be look'n for.

you can find WAYYYY more than you ever wanted to know about shoelaces at http://www.shoelacesexpress.com

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts? on 04/14/2014 19:57:28 MDT Print View

@roger, yes I'm aware of the mitt catch 22. In this case I just feel like they are going to fall off without elastic behind the wrist. They are an integral part of my hand insulation as well, and in fact probably will get used most for that in non-rainy conditions.

I'm leaning towards just attaching the bungie/shoelace and linelock at one point only - that way it is basically a rubberband that you can't loose. Making some kind of guide tube sounds like a major pain, as well as being a $100 solution to a two-bit problem.

@peter I like the idea about the shoe laces - if I can find some "soft and fuzzy" ones maybe that would minimize any potential abrasion. I will add that website to the one that has like a 1000 different ways to tie your shoes? :-O I'll check it out:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

Makes me feel like I am woefully ignorant of the ancient and esoteric art of tying my shoes

Edited by millonas on 04/14/2014 20:04:33 MDT.

Kelly G
(KellyDT) - F
How about on 04/15/2014 03:31:00 MDT Print View

...fabric-covered elastic hair ties? I don't know about connecting them, but they are soft and about the right size. Very light, and multi-purpose, if not sewn or glued to the mitt.

Kelly

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts? on 04/20/2014 10:37:45 MDT Print View

What I have done on a few pair of shells is to use flat elastic, and simply stretch the shell and elastic tight and sew a line down the middle of the elastic. Works fine, but downside is you have a new seam to seal. So for my new shells I'm planning to just use a loop of elastic stitched on at one spot so I have just a few stitches to seal.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts? on 04/20/2014 11:14:18 MDT Print View

I'm currently leaning towards getting some of the double sides Velcro straps that can be bought from zpacks (hooks on on side, loops on the other), and sewing them to one point on the wrist. Finally sealed on the inside with seamgrip. This seem like a very low-work solution, as well as pretty light and adjustable.