Forum Index » GEAR » If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Smith
(bsmith_90) - F - M

Locale: Epping Forest
2 more pounds on 04/13/2014 12:53:41 MDT Print View

I've asked my girlfriend for a "Perkins" tent for christmas and birthdays every year since we met, still no luck.

I don't know your current system but I'd give pillows a try if I had the spare weight.
I just don't want to throw money at something that I have always managed without in the past.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
2 lbs on 04/13/2014 21:26:59 MDT Print View

Only on BPL can people not fathom carrying an extra 2 lbs, even if it just a "what if" thread. Geez.

Anywho, I'd bring along more microbrews, of course. Wait...I already do that.

...probably a lightweight camping chair. That would nice.

Edited by aaronufl on 04/13/2014 21:30:02 MDT.

David Ayers
(djayers) - F
Re: If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add? on 04/14/2014 10:09:05 MDT Print View

I'm not UL and bring the 'needs' like raingear, comfortable sleep gear, etc. So I'd probably bring some 'toys':
Camera
Book
Rumrunner Flask (with 151) and sugar free Koolaid
Monocular (2 oz)
A few sheets of paper printed with tree/flower ID info
Sit pad (doubles as pillow topper) (3-4 oz)

Ben Smith
(bsmith_90) - F - M

Locale: Epping Forest
table on 04/14/2014 11:20:57 MDT Print View

I just saw a a helinox table on a UK shops online store, maybe I'd take that and one of their nifty little chairs.

Just over 2lb for the two of them.

Nothing wrong with getting your kit down to a nice, low weight then using your old, slightly larger (only slightly heavier) pack and taking some luxuries!

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Congrats! Now go get a warmer bag... on 04/14/2014 12:59:45 MDT Print View

Congratulations on the weight loss, Kevin. You may find that you now need more insulation to keep warm. A couple of years ago I lost 20 lbs. to get back down to my preferred weight (160 lbs.). I found that I chilled easier and needed more insulation when at rest. Maybe a half pound for a warmer sleeping bag and the rest for fresh fruit & veggies in your food bag.

John Holmes
(pastyj) - F

Locale: North Central Florida
Re: Congrats! Now go get a warmer bag... on 04/14/2014 13:08:27 MDT Print View

+1

Was really surprised that after dropping from 260 lbs to 200 how much colder I was when sleeping. Not much difference when hiking, but suddenly had to wear more clothes in my bag. Which is the route I would suggest rather than getting a warmer bag. Clothes are useful 24 hrs a day were as a bag only at rest.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 05/13/2014 20:41:23 MDT Print View

Maybe Doug should add a suntan to his wish list -- no extra weight either :)