If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 04/10/2014 18:43:13 MDT Print View

I use a hammock which is far far far more comfortable than any chair :) ... it's literally just as comfortable as my office chair. Maybe more as I can sleep on it.

The ONE downside is that I don't eat in it... I'm afraid of spills which would mean having to pick up camp or in the worst case, having to throw out my hammock due to some permanent odor.

It would be nice to have a 'chair' hammock that's literally just enough material to sit in..

John Holmes
(pastyj) - F

Locale: North Central Florida
Re: If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add? on 04/10/2014 18:56:57 MDT Print View

I recently found myself in the same situation...after many years, I finally had trimmed both my pack and big arse down. Realized I could afford a few small luxuries. Here is how I splurged.
1. A larger tent - the Zpacks Duplex is a palace for 1, especially in the rain :) I actually saved 4 ounces going for this so...maybe it doesn't count.
2. An Xlite Large. Can't believe I made due for years with the regular size which really was just too small for me.
3. A Helinox Chair One. I don't always pack it, but on certain trips it is so damned luxurious I can barely stand it. Downside is having to fight off my hiking mates who didn't bring a chair.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
additions on 04/10/2014 19:02:30 MDT Print View

I wouldnt add anything because I perceive I have "room to". I take what I need. Ive never found myself longing for any luxuries.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add? on 04/10/2014 19:45:23 MDT Print View

The in thing, a hatchet.

not.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: fitness... on 04/10/2014 20:20:35 MDT Print View

Kevin,

"going to do a writeup for the forum on how to easily trim up"

I'd like that.

I could use some info and motivation.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Taller Tent plus Chair on 04/10/2014 20:24:51 MDT Print View

Previous posts from others clarified it for me: chair plus a tent I can stand up in

Good idea for a post. Thought provoking.

Thanks.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Lux gear on 04/10/2014 20:41:22 MDT Print View

For sure, my #1 choice would be a DSLR and an ultra wide lens, and a big fatty knife, 8oz of 12 year scotch, a large xtherm... Am I over yet?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 04/10/2014 20:53:23 MDT Print View

"It would be nice to have a 'chair' hammock that's literally just enough material to sit in."

hammock chair

Bushman Hammock Chair at Arrowhead Equipment. Scroll down.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Re: Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 04/10/2014 21:08:02 MDT Print View

My god, you have beautiful legs.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 04/10/2014 21:12:01 MDT Print View

Clean your glasses Matt.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 04/10/2014 21:13:05 MDT Print View

"My god, you have beautiful legs."

Why thank you, only that's not me. Pic from the Arrowhead site.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 04/10/2014 21:18:18 MDT Print View

I need to stop putting off the bifocals.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Re: Re: Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 04/10/2014 21:21:55 MDT Print View

Actually.. I think that nails it. I hadn't seen THAT design of hammock-chair before ... though I've seen others. If I use the material to double as a stuff sack / pillow then I'm game and can do this without much more weight.

I can re-use my hammock straps but that would mean that I can't use the chair / hammock at the same time.

Gordon Gray
(GordonG) - F

Locale: Front Range, CO
couch? on 04/10/2014 22:27:22 MDT Print View

I wouldn't mind that hammock chair instead of my couch in my tv room. It looks perfect.

kristen buckland
(buckie06) - F

Locale: Colorado
shoes on 04/10/2014 22:37:33 MDT Print View

more protective camp shoes. I use dinky flip-flops :(

And a lounging around hammock.

Owen McMurrey
(OwenM) - F - M

Locale: SE US
Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 04/11/2014 03:32:58 MDT Print View

I always have free pounds, as my pack weight has dropped another 4# since reaching the point that I don't even notice my pack any more. Further lightening and simplifying everything remains an ongoing process that is kind of a hobby unto itself rather than fulfilling any real need as far as backpacking goes.

A knife and saw for fire when I want one are really the only extra gear I'll add unless combining activities, but sometimes I'll take a couple pints of my favorite sweet tea, or some apples and packages of that Jif chocolate silk for snacks.
For short overnighters where I play a lot, having light gear sometimes means being able to bring wetsocks and watershoes, even wetsuit pants, or heavier pack and rope with gear for rappels without feeling weighed down. I don't really keep track of pack weight any more, but doubt it broke 30# either time I carried a 150' 11mm static line to rap waterfalls this past summer.

Edited by OwenM on 04/11/2014 03:34:14 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 04/11/2014 05:50:24 MDT Print View

My kit is dialed in. I don't need to add or subtract gear. Don't need to buy more.

If I want luxury I go camping with with my wife in my camper.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: "If you had 2 more lbs for free, what gear would you add?" on 04/11/2014 07:33:40 MDT Print View

OOOOOO.....a chair. yes, a chair. It is so very uncomfortable for me to sit on the ground - i really, really need something to lean back on and frequently the tree or rock just doesn't cut it.

And beer.

A chair and an crisp IPA, or good stout (when the weather is chilly) would literally make my life perfect. Who needs personal protection and safety?! Blech. Beer.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
The benefits of a LW newbie on 04/11/2014 10:05:21 MDT Print View

I'm not close to UL - trying but not there - but am by comparison to my scout troop brethren certainly LW. Had one scoutmaster ask if I was sure I had everything I needed since I was packed in a 65L REI Flash with not a single thing hanging on the outside "beverly hillbillies" style. even had a bit of room to spare. I'm not sure what he'd have asked if I showed up with a setup like many here use!

Some of that is preference (I still use a double wall shelter - albeit typically a fairly light one - Big Agnes SL1 - which I'm just used to and the move to a single wall shelter like a tarptent doesn't save enough weight to justify the cost ... yet ... full tarp is tough for a guy just starting to backpack a year or so ago), some of that is situational since I backpack with scouts so I do tend to carry a bit more than I might otherwise carry - a slightly bigger FAK, often a bit of extra food, etc... as one of the adults on a trip we are the last safety net, although it is expected that scouts exhaust other scout resources before turning to us. On a different note - I do often take a chair (Alite Monarch 1.5lbs roughly) as we tend to get to camp early to mid afternoon since we accomodate a range of ages and abilities so distances don't go beyond 5 miles each way that often. Since scouts are supposed to help scouts as an adult there is a fair amount of potential downtime so a chair becomes less of a luxury and more of a necessity.

If I added anything it would be a SPOT for personal use (the Troop already carries one on all trips).

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
A marmot on 04/11/2014 12:17:29 MDT Print View

If I had room to carry 2lbs, I'd use it to catch and carry home my own pet Marmot.