Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Wild Camping in the US - advice for an Englishman, please!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Even more thread drift on 04/18/2014 18:46:17 MDT Print View

Also it the south you can say anything about anybody as long as you preface it with "Bless his heart"
As in "Bless his heart, he's dumb as a bucket of rocks"

A similar one that seems older is "God love um"

As in "God love um those two aren't the brightest kids in the world"

In Arkansas I heard "carry" in place of "take"
As in "I'm gonna carry my grandma to the doctor tomorrow."

Also among church folk gossiping is frowned upon. Ladies would never sit around and "gossip" about someone's life problems. However saying "We need to pray for..." makes it all okay.
As in "We need to pray for Susie... (insert gossip here)."

A very old phrase in Virginia if your chatting with someone in the driveway and want to invite them in is "Why don't you step on down' Apparently it dates back to buggy days when you'd invite someone to step down off their buggy for a glass of tea.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Even more thread drift on 04/18/2014 23:15:44 MDT Print View

Born Mississippi, raised Houston, lived San Diego, work with Vic from New Orleans.

Southern grammar with a Texan drawl, SoCal vocabulary, peppered with phrases from the yat dialect. Oh, my mother is from England so I spell colour and pronounce Aluminium correctly.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Y'all listen up, now. on 04/18/2014 23:48:43 MDT Print View

When English dropped "thee/thou", "you" became both the singular and plural second person pronoun. We could no longer distinguish between singular or plural with a pronoun in the second person. Southern dialect has addressed this lack with the form "y'all", which is frankly an advancement in English pronouns. We owe a debt to Southern folk for allowing English speakers to once again distinguish between second person pronoun singular "you" and second person plural "y'all".

I lived in Texas for a couple years back in the 80s, realized how useful "y'all" was, and have used it regularly ever since! If all y'all don't use it, you should!

Owen McMurrey
(OwenM) - F - M

Locale: SE US
Y'all on 04/19/2014 00:09:50 MDT Print View

I'd try to explain it, but y'all aren't sophisticated enough to grasp the perambling and permutative nature of our vocabulatin' :D

btw, Southern is always capitalized, we are not "about to" do anything, we're "fixin' to", we drop a lot of g's so words roll off the tongue smoothly, and a Coke is a Coke(so is a Pepsi).

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
object on 04/22/2014 21:18:35 MDT Print View

"Unsweetened tea tastes better."

Born and raised and truly a Texan. I hate sweet tea. During the rationing during WW2, my family gave up sweetening their tea. We never took it back up, so generations of us don't like sweet tea.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re object on 04/22/2014 22:03:02 MDT Print View

I don't know, a Texan that doesn't like sweet tea... what is the world coming too.

Kevin Gurney
(kwgurney) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
"Y'all" in Irish-English (thread drifting to another continent) on 04/23/2014 08:39:37 MDT Print View

I work with Irish folk, and in our Skype chats/emails they use "ye" as the 2nd person plural, as in:

"Are ye ready for the 10am meeting?"

Very cool. So "ye" still exists in English, just not American English. Do Brits/Scots use "ye", or this only an Irish thing?

Joel Stephenson
(fooby) - F

Locale: Northumberland, UK
Re: "Y'all" in Irish-English (thread drifting to another continent) on 04/23/2014 14:38:09 MDT Print View

And I thought getting chased off patch of land by an angry farmer with a stick was bad... How am I going to cope in America where you have bears and guns? Oh well, at least I'll be able to communicate with them now.

alastair humphreys
(alastairhumphreys) - MLife

Locale: UK
Thank you on 04/23/2014 16:07:57 MDT Print View

Thank you all for your help.
I had a great 7 days in Texas.
7 days, 7 different sleeping spots.
A few pics here - http://instagram.com/al_humphreys

highlights were Big Bend (wonderful) and various barbecue meals (equally wonderful!)

Al

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
other Southernisms on 04/24/2014 14:15:47 MDT Print View

I think you uns got the yall form figured out. how about

Yonder comes Aunt Mable

Did you take the trash out? Well I mighta did.

Did you go to town yet? I had already did that.

Can you bring me some salt? I might could do that.

You aint tellin me nothing! (that I don't already know)

the best water I've ever tasted was branch water. (stream or creek or crick water)

me: "I just hiked for 27 days without crossing a road." Southern relative: "Why?"

that is easier said than did.

Edited by rshaver on 04/24/2014 14:25:53 MDT.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Thank you on 04/25/2014 02:45:28 MDT Print View

Yeah, you musta had a good chuckle with the advice in this thread!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiN6ZU0KFlc

Edited by rmjapan on 04/25/2014 04:11:38 MDT.

David Halterman
(poedog)
Merka on 05/08/2014 22:39:11 MDT Print View

Nice Al. The missus and I just completed our first transcontinental and spent 31 days crossing Texas alone, wild camping almost nightly.

As you said before, courtesy, common sense and discretion is all it takes. Even in Texas.

Edited by poedog on 05/08/2014 22:42:19 MDT.