Wild Camping in the US - advice for an Englishman, please!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Size matters on 04/10/2014 15:21:29 MDT Print View

David, definitely! There are the German trains, and then there are the Italian trains that are always late, then there is 1000 feet of shit, and at the bottom of that are all the Amtrak trains that don't run on the east coast corridor between Boston and DC. Really only good if riding on the train is your actual GOAL and you don't have a firm timetable. On the other hand you can rent a car in this country pretty cheaply by comparison, and the gas is cheaper in Texas.

Edited by millonas on 04/10/2014 15:24:41 MDT.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Sam Houston National Forest on 04/10/2014 16:32:44 MDT Print View

Surprised no one has mentioned Sam Houston National Forest. From Austin, it's about a 3 hour drive but if you check the first link out below you can see a map of the Lone Star Trail. The second link is to the National Forest website for Sam Houston National Forest. In summary,

"The 128-mile Lone Star Hiking Trail, a portion of which has gained National Recreation Trail status, winds through the Sam Houston National Forest. The trail, marked with two-inch by four-inch aluminum markers to guide hikers, has recreation areas available at three different points. Except during deer hunting season when camping is restricted to designated camps, primitive camping is allowed off the trail. Potable water is available at Double Lake and Stubblefield recreation areas."

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5209240.pdf

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/about-forest/districts/?cid=fswdev3_008443

I have backpacked several sections of the trail. It's a very thick forest and so visibility is limited to the trees except for the occasional clearing. No elevation gain or loss so the hiking is very easy.

Edited by randalmartin on 04/10/2014 16:34:50 MDT.

alastair humphreys
(alastairhumphreys) - MLife

Locale: UK
Love on 04/11/2014 14:03:07 MDT Print View

I absolutely love this website, guys.
What a treasure trove of information.
Thank you!
(Thank y'all...)

HElinTexas C
(Helintexas) - MLife
Texas on 04/17/2014 20:58:01 MDT Print View

Hey,

There are 2 national parks in Texas....way out west. You can do dispersed camping in some parts of Big Bend NP...but not in the mountains.

There are a number of state parks. Go to the Texas state park website and take a gander.

In central Texas I recommend looking into the Enchanted Rock State park. It has primitive campsites that only cost $5 a nite.

There are also 700,000 acres of (someone mentioned Sam Houston ) under the US Forestry service where you can disperse camp in eastern and northern sections of Texas. Google national forests in Texas.

I would not recommend dispersed camping on private land without permission in Texas. However, if you ask and tell them you are international traveler who likes to camp out, you most likely would get permission. Most people are very hospitable....they just want to know who is on their land. But, at the same time, it might be hard to find out who to ask.

LOL...it is true that you might be met by someone with a weapon if you just set up. I was at my sister's house (she lives out in the country) and a large truck came up in the driveway very late one evening. My brother in law grabbed his weapon and went outside. I was shocked. But my sister said that they get worried because they are so far from help.

Edit: read above posts..and realized that a lot of my info is already covered. Oops.

Edited by Helintexas on 04/17/2014 21:00:54 MDT.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Love on 04/17/2014 23:07:45 MDT Print View

>"(Thank y'all...)"

You may already know this, but "y'all" is singular. And plural.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Love on 04/18/2014 07:37:50 MDT Print View

In the states ya'll is generally a dead give away you are from the south. Kids in northern states and California always think I'm funny when I say that. Once I was unloading a bus full of kids at an outdoor center in California. I said something along the lines of "Okay ya'll come over here." This little 6th grade girl looked up at me all wide eyed and said "Are you a cowboy?" I guess the only time she'd heard someone talk like that was in Western movies.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
re: ...but "y'all" is singular. And plural. on 04/18/2014 08:27:35 MDT Print View

We need a true southern good ol' boy to help us with this. My understanding is that "y'all" is seldom used as singular, but almost always is plural. 2-4 people--Y'all; a room full of people--All y'all. My favorite is the plural possessive--"All y'all's." You gotta love those apostrophes.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: re: ...but "y'all" is singular. And plural. on 04/18/2014 11:00:04 MDT Print View

Gary has it. Ya'll is rarely singular, in fact, I can't think of when it is used in a singular form off the top of my head. I could list 100 other similar "southernisms".

Ryan - local TN redneck

Edited by ViolentGreen on 04/18/2014 11:02:35 MDT.

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Re: re: ...but "y'all" is singular. And plural. on 04/18/2014 11:16:09 MDT Print View

Indeed, all ya'll is the plural at least for large groups. All my family is from Tenn. and Ark.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Wild Camping in the US - advice for an Englishman, please! on 04/18/2014 11:27:04 MDT Print View

This may be the only time I am smarter than David Thomas about something. "Y'all" is definitely plural. I've done 48 years of testing. I've got a pretty high degree of certainty on this one.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

re: 100 other similar "southernisms". on 04/18/2014 12:05:10 MDT Print View

Ryan, it won't really help Alister much, but why don't you list a few for us? In the interest of cultural diffusion, you understand.

Y'all's truly,

"Billy Bob" Dunckel, master of the thread drift

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
re: ...but "y'all" is singular. And plural. on 04/18/2014 12:08:19 MDT Print View

Y'all ain't gonna believe this!!!!

Y'all = you all

Yep, it's plural.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Okay, y'all outvoted me. on 04/18/2014 12:48:33 MDT Print View

I'll retract my statement. Mostly. I remember hearing it used (by Southerners) as a second-person singular pronoun but maybe they meant it in the sense of "you and all you people (from snow country / who can't barbecue / with all your teeth)". H. L. Mencken knew more about the American Langauge than any of us and said, (the plural nature of y'all)

"is a cardinal article of faith in the South. ... Nevertheless, it has been questioned very often, and with a considerable showing of evidence. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, to be sure, you-all indicates a plural, implicit if not explicit, and thus means, when addressed to a single person, 'you and your folks' or the like, but the hundredth time it is impossible to discover any such extension of meaning."
— H. L. Mencken, The American Language: An Inquiry into the Development of English in the United States, 1948, p.337

Since "y'all" is plural, then "all y'all" is, what? More plural?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Okay, y'all outvoted me. on 04/18/2014 13:01:40 MDT Print View

"Since "y'all" is plural, then "all y'all" is, what? More plural?"

All y'all means a whole mess of people, as in "C'mon all y'all."

When I was in the military, I was stationed with many Southerners, so I picked up their dialect temporarily.

--B.G.--

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Y'all listen up, now. on 04/18/2014 13:17:45 MDT Print View

"All y'all" is probably an conjunction of "all of you all." Before making too much fun of "y'all", note that it exists in most other languages. "Y'all" is really a useful word that I think we should adopt as proper. I don't stick up for all things southern, but "y'all" is a good one.

While "y'all" is fine, there are a few things a southerner just wont say:

We don't keep firearms in this house.
Has anybody seen the sideburn trimmer?
You can't feed that to the dog.
I thought Graceland was tacky.
No kids in the back of the pick-up, it's not safe.
Wrasslin's fake.
Honey, did you mail that donation to Greenpeace?
We're vegetarians.
Do you think my hair is too big?
I'll have grapefruit instead of biscuits and gravy.
Honey, these bonsai trees need watering?
Who's Richard Petty?
Give me the small bag of pork rinds.
Deer heads detract from the decor.
Spitting is such a nasty habit.
I just couldn't find a thing at Wal-Mart today.
Trim the fat off that steak.
Cappuccino tastes better than espresso.
The tires on that truck are too big.
I'll have the arugula and radicchio salad.
I've got it all on a floppy disk.
Unsweetened tea tastes better.
Would you like your fish poached or broiled?
My fiancee, Paula Jo, is registered at Tiffany's.
I've got two cases of Zima for the Super Bowl.
Little Debbie snack cakes have too many fat grams.
Checkmate.
She's too old to be wearing that bikini.
Does the salad bar have bean sprouts?
Hey, it's an episode of "Hee Haw" we haven't seen.
I don't have a favorite college team.
I believe you cooked those green beans too long.
Those shorts ought to be a little longer, Darla.
Elvis who?
Be sure to bring my salad dressing on the side.

Now THAT'S thread drift.

Edited by alexdrewreed on 04/18/2014 13:25:35 MDT.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

re: Y'all listen up, now. on 04/18/2014 14:07:26 MDT Print View

That's too funny, Ben!

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Y'all listen up, now. on 04/18/2014 15:31:05 MDT Print View

"Checkmate" -- Out of all of them, that one made me laugh the most for some reason. lol

The South will rise again!

Ryan

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Y'all listen up, now on 04/18/2014 15:44:19 MDT Print View

Ah, I forgot my favorite: "You can't fix that with duct tape."

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
Re: Y'all listen up, now on 04/18/2014 16:32:31 MDT Print View

Seems to me...

Y'all is plural. (Contraction of you all)
As in "Y'all come back now, ya hear?" To a group.

Ya'll is singular. (Contraction of you will)
As in "Ya'll gonna get a lickin' now!"
Or "Ya'll come back now, ya hear?" To a person.

Seems there's also some confusion over what's a "southerner" and what's a "redneck hillbilly".

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
more thread drift on 04/18/2014 16:40:23 MDT Print View

LOL Ben, I have tears running down my face!
This one really hit home to me, being a native Texan that also spent time in GA.
"I believe you cooked those green beans too long." Lot's of ya'll won't get it, but I've lived it. I didn't eat an "al dente" green bean til I left home!