Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Alternatives to overpriced urethane seam sealers?
Display Avatars Sort By:
zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
Alternatives to overpriced urethane seam sealers? on 04/08/2014 14:53:11 MDT Print View

Does any one have a recommendation for an urethane seam sealer from a non-outdoor oriented company? I'm having trouble finding something similar to the DIY silicone sealer, but for urethane.

James Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
Overpriced? on 04/08/2014 16:34:51 MDT Print View

You can buy urethane adhesives in bulk if you really need a lot, but it really isn't going to save over a 6-9 $ container of seam grip which usually includes a brush or two. Buying a lot does not make sense unless you need it all at once as the stuff has a tendency to dry in the container unless you remove all the air.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Alternatives to overpriced urethane seam sealers? on 04/08/2014 17:07:58 MDT Print View

Shoe Goo is basically the same as Seam Grip if that's what you're looking for. Quite a bit cheaper.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
RE: Alternatives to overpriced urethane seam sealers? on 04/08/2014 18:53:58 MDT Print View

Don't some people here also use auto/RV silicone windshield sealer (diluted w/mineral spirits)?

I don't recall the brand, but I got some at WallyWorld that worked great for sealing a tent window I sewed on...

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Thanks on 04/08/2014 21:58:02 MDT Print View

Thanks for the replies!

@Jim I agree, I don't want to buy a 5 gal pail of the stuff.

@Brendan Thanks, I didn't know about shoe goo. Do you think white gas would be ok to dilute it?

@Valerie I want to seam seal a PU coated 2006 REI Quarterdome. From what I've been reading, an urethane sealer is recommended. I haven't found people claiming silicone sealer works on PU coated fabrics, but it may very well work, especially on the non-coated side of the fabric.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Thanks on 04/09/2014 03:44:25 MDT Print View

@Valerie....the silicone sealer you are referring to is Permatex flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer. No need to thin it. I've used it on my tarptent straight out of the tube. Works great. Around $3 in an auto goods store.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Thanks on 04/09/2014 04:05:15 MDT Print View

> Permatex flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer. No need to thin it.
Yup, undiluted, good stuff.

Cheers

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Alternatives to overpriced urethane seam sealers? on 04/09/2014 04:08:55 MDT Print View

Silicone should no be used with PU coated fabrics (only on siliconised nylon/silnylon) as polyurethane polymer (Seam Grip) should not be used on silnylon.
Think of diesel in diesel engines and gas/petrol in gas/petrol engines.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Amazing Goop on 04/14/2014 21:44:11 MDT Print View

I ended up buying Amazing Goop (the plumbing variety). I made a slurry with white gas and used it on the fly seams and some boot seams.
Thanks everyone for the help!