Forum Index » Other Activities » Car camping stove

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Car camping stove on 08/07/2007 13:14:52 MDT Print View

I'm thinking of getting something like a Coleman 2 burner stove for car camping. It will be used for cooking rice (for a larger group), pancakes, eggs etc.

Looks like there are lots of models for under $100 and some down in the $40 range.

I'm wondering which would be better, the kind that takes white gas/unleaded or the type that use propane cartridges. Strictly for summer use so don't expect to use in cold temps.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
"Car camping stove" on 08/07/2007 13:32:51 MDT Print View

If you are only going to use it for summer, I would go with propane. It is easier to control and cleaner burning.
On the other hand it is more expensive to buy the canisters, and if you run out you can not syphon some from your car.
I would still go propane and keep an extra canister.

Alan Wenker
(justmeagain) - F
coleman two burner stoves on 08/07/2007 13:36:43 MDT Print View

Propane is easy to use, white gas is fun to use plus white gas is more economical and you don't have all the small bottles to throw out.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
propane, definitely propane on 08/07/2007 15:35:03 MDT Print View

an addional benefit is that, if you're doing a lot of car camping / have a pickup you can get an adaptor to use the big propane tank from your grill at home rather than the smaller canisters... if you really go crazy, get a propane 'tree' and put a lantern right on top...