Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 09:58:47 MDT Print View

Hey All,

Been working on this little spreadsheet this morning for something I needed.

Thought I would share it - hopefully it proves useful for somebody out there.

popular_backpacks

(click on image to see a larger size of it)

I am totally up for adding additional packs from other cottage makers, so long as they are not "custom made" backpacks and have a website I can reference the pack details from. Just post a reply or bounce me a PM with the URL to the packs website.

Thanks,
+John Abela

Edited by JohnAbela on 04/07/2014 15:39:05 MDT.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 10:02:57 MDT Print View

I can't really read your list very well it's so small so I cant tell if Elemental Horizons is on the list

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 10:10:37 MDT Print View

Hey Link, if you click on the image it should open it in full size.

The Elemental Horizon packs are not on the list. Cannot think of any time I have ever seen their packs listed as being used by a thru-hiker... which was the purpose of this spreadsheet... so their packs did not even come to mind when I was building the list.

I will head over to their website and see if I can dig up the necessary info to add their pack(s) to the list.

Thanks.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 10:17:14 MDT Print View

"I will head over to their website and see if I can dig up the necessary info to add their pack(s) to the list."

Thanks for all the work, and sharing it with the community, John. You always provide a valuable service and we appreciate it.

Glad to see you're adding Elemental Horizons to the list. I'm not sure why they don't get more notice, Matthew makes great packs. Probably because they're at the high end of weight when you're talking lightweight packs - but they transfer weight to the hips better than any pack I've yet used. Great stuff.

John Baltzell
(jbaltz) - M
Elemental Horizions on 04/06/2014 10:33:25 MDT Print View

Big +1 for Elemental Horizions I have the Kalais, all Dynema, and plan to thru hike the Brooks Range with it. Best hip belt ever.

John

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 10:41:22 MDT Print View

John:

After the Elemental Horizons addition, could you please post a DL link to the spreadsheet?

That way, the user could sort the data by variable of interest.

Thanks.

Bob

P.S. Alas, there are many other "popular" cottage packs out there that are no longer produced, but which are still used/seen a lot on the trails.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 10:45:38 MDT Print View

Ok I have gotten the Elemental Horizons "Aduro SL (medium/large)" the "Kalais (medium)" and "Aquilo (medium)" added to the list.

@bob, once I know all the major packs are listed and all the numbers have been looked at by folks to verify them, I will post a link to the spreadsheet. Past experiences have taught me to wait until everything is checked and rechecked by all the awesome folks here at BPL.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks on 04/06/2014 10:51:17 MDT Print View

You're a good man, John. Thanks for doing this for us.

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Borah Gear Stealth? on 04/06/2014 10:51:49 MDT Print View

Not sure if it meets your thru hiker requirement. I know of at least one report of a Kalais being used for a PCT thru.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 10:58:38 MDT Print View

John,

You should add a cubic inch per ounce bracket.

It seems to be what some people look for, more than ounce per dollar anyway.

Nice sheet..

Ron Moak
(rmoak) - F
Popular (cottage) Backpacks -Elemental Horizons on 04/06/2014 11:09:57 MDT Print View

As another congratulatory shout out to my friend Mathew at Elemental Horizons. In addition to his line of packs, he also designed the new pack being produce by Klymit. It's not a trade secret, but also not well known. So congrats to Mathew!

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 11:32:47 MDT Print View

@Alex, "Borah Gear Stealth"... wow, I did not even know Borah Gear made backpacks. Umm, is this the one?? Any info on when/if/willbe on the market??

@Aaron, hey man - hope you are feeling good after that run! "cubic inch per ounce"... so, would that be taking "cubic inches divided by ounce" ??

So, for example, the Elemental Horizons - Aduro SL (medium/large) is 2014 CI and is 20 ounces... so the result in the column you would like would be "100.7"

Is that what you are after?? If not, explain the math to me and I'll see if I can figure it out.

@Gary/Doug... thank you guys!

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Re: Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 11:49:47 MDT Print View

"@Alex, "Borah Gear Stealth"... wow, I did not even know Borah Gear made backpacks. Umm, is this the one?? Any info on when/if/willbe on the market??"

that is the one, it has been available off and on for several years.

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
STEALTH on 04/06/2014 11:55:38 MDT Print View

If you can find one, buy it. I used one on the JMT last year and it warked exceptionally I sold mine during a weak moment and when I reached out tot John he is thinking it will be back mid summer

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Cost per ounce.....? on 04/06/2014 12:18:02 MDT Print View

What is the point of listing cost per ounce? Seams meaningless. Material used would be much more important.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Cost per ounce.....? on 04/06/2014 12:24:35 MDT Print View

Re: Borah... I think I will leave off the stealth for now. I would probably get all kinds of people whining that it was not available.

Re: "cost per ounce"... the whole "cost per gram/ounces" thing is just one of those odd things I have become famous for doing - even though it provides *very* little real world data. I just keep including it because its fun and reminds me of funny things in the past when I first started doing "cost per gram". (and being the one doing the work, I have to find ways to keep it fun for myself... I do get to have some fun.... right... I hope... ;)

Re: "material"... that would be more work than I am willing to invest. Some of these pack makers got four, five - and sometimes even more - different types of fabric that make up their packs. Insanity to try to document all that and keep it updated with each new revision of their packs.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Re: Re: Cost per ounce.....? W/Wo stay or airbeam, footnotes for real world versus listed on 04/06/2014 12:29:18 MDT Print View

John, thanks so much for putting this together. A very useful resource, and a time saver when friends ask me about lightweight packs out there.

One general note you might want to add to the sheet is that these are numbers provided by the manufacturers and that they may off. For example, the Aquilo volume has been widely reported to be much higher than listed. When real world experience has shown different than a manufacturer's listed data point, you could add as a footnote to that cell of the pack which is referenced in the bottom of the sheet.

Also perhaps add columns for with and without stay or airbeam?

I like the cost/oz or g. Just another fun little metric people can use when planning out their kits and considering where it makes most sense for them to trade $ for weight.

Edited by mountainwalker on 04/06/2014 12:44:04 MDT.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks -Elemental Horizons on 04/06/2014 12:37:25 MDT Print View

Ron do you mean the Klymit Motion 35 and 60?

http://bit.ly/PMrW9x

Nice looking packs.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 12:50:45 MDT Print View

I tried clicking on it when you first posted it and it did not enlarge , but I see that you have since fixed it so thank you.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Popular (cottage) Backpacks - Spreadsheet Details on 04/06/2014 13:14:47 MDT Print View

@EJ: the idea of having a field for whether the pack has a stay inside of it is a good idea. I will try to get that in before I go live with the spreadsheet.

Edited by JohnAbela on 04/07/2014 15:39:35 MDT.