Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Scrap pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
George Tate Hunt
(TrippleSpill)
Scrap pack on 04/04/2014 10:26:40 MDT Print View

I had some leftover material in my stash, from making shelters, hammocks, and other gear, and decided to construct a new lightweight pack for my upcoming AT section hike. It is made of silnylon, ripstop nylon, and X-Pac VX. The X-Pac is used on the side panels and bottom for a little extra abrasion resistance, Sil for the front and back, ripstop and mesh for the back pocket, ripstop for the side pockets. Has two nylon webbing compression straps on both sides, and the top lid is sil, with a water proof zipper with an ample storage compartment. Drawstring closure. I made the hip belt and shoulder straps, but not the belt pouches. Those were swapped from another pack.

Pic_o1

Front

Side

side02

pocket

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Scrap pack on 04/04/2014 12:57:30 MDT Print View

At least you won't have to worry about some other backpacker grabbing yours by mistake. It is quite unique.

--B.G.--

George Tate Hunt
(TrippleSpill)
Ha! on 04/04/2014 15:03:36 MDT Print View

True. My southern mom used the term "unique" when she meant ugly. Good thing I don't mind being unique. :)

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Scrap pack on 04/06/2014 19:16:26 MDT Print View

Looks good. And quite practical as well. Seems like it'll be a good performer for something like sectioning the AT.

Gordon Gray
(GordonG) - F

Locale: Front Range, CO
right on on 04/07/2014 11:12:14 MDT Print View

Dude, good job. Must of been a fun project.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Scrap pack on 04/07/2014 12:51:12 MDT Print View

Very cool.

Reminds me of this song.

CADILLACSONG

Edited by lyrad1 on 04/07/2014 12:53:23 MDT.

George Tate Hunt
(TrippleSpill)
Thanks, on 04/11/2014 08:10:07 MDT Print View

Thanks for the feedback, Just had it out on a day hike yesterday, and it is as comfortable as a luxury sedan. Have to throw it on the scale, but a feels like test says around a pound. :)