Sea To Summit Spark SP1 Sleeping Bag... Anyone with experience yet?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jesse Reeves
(JesseR.)

Locale: Reno, NV
Sea To Summit Spark SPI Sleeping Bag... Anyone with experience yet? on 03/29/2014 14:12:48 MDT Print View

I stumbled across this bag a few weeks ago when browsing for quilts or ultra-packable summer bags. And now that REI has their coupon code out, I'm thinking of adding to my collection as an even lighter Summer alternative to my Western Mountaineering Summerlite... Also having had success in layering my Summerlite with a really thin Lafuma 50 degree bag, I'm thinking that combining the Summerlite with the Spark SP1 would give me a sub 2lb combo that would be comfortable to freezing and perhaps beyond.
It's listed at 12.3oz and appears to pack down to about half the size of the Summerlite! I've found only the generic pictures and descriptions, but no real world reviews on it yet.
So, has anyone gotten to crawl into one of these yet?!

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/188

Edited by JesseR. on 03/30/2014 18:04:09 MDT.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: Sea To Summit Spark SP1 Sleeping Bag... Anyone with experience yet? on 03/29/2014 17:20:31 MDT Print View

For summer temps do you really need a full sleeping bag? These temps are the best opportunity to try a quilt. The spark isn't bad (I haven't seen it in person but I have seen previous S2S bags-they are well made) but its expensive.

A quilt, even a summer one, can be layered over the top of a sleeping bag. Just use straps to keep it in place.

Chris Brinlee Jr
(panicproduct) - F
Re: Sea To Summit Spark SP1 Sleeping Bag... Anyone with experience yet? on 03/30/2014 15:43:22 MDT Print View

I just took the plunge and used my store credits + Backcountry Tax Time 20% off coupon to order the Spark SP1.

I have a GoLite Z30 Quilt which weighs about 20oz, but the SP1 weighs half a pound less and is much more compactable. For $240 in store credits, after the discount, I figured it was worth a shot. Plus I love the color scheme. I'll post a review on www.chrisbrinleejr.com once I get it.

Jesse Reeves
(JesseR.)

Same boat.... on 03/30/2014 18:03:30 MDT Print View

Chris, Thanks for the info... I'm thinking of doing the same as you with my REI coupon, plus I have some dividend that will get spent on something... With the 20% off, tax and shipping included, the price is $260. Although I just checked REI and it's now showing a backordered status... So apparently I wasn't alone in my thoughts... Might hold out as the coupon code lasts for a couple weeks to see if the status changes at all.
I'm definitely not opposed to trying a quilt, but there doesn't seem to be much of a weight/cost savings in going that route compared to this bag. The most comparable quilt looks to be the JacksRBetter Shenandoah, and is 2 ounces heavier, only $40 cheaper, and doesn't look to be as small when compressed.

Chris Brinlee Jr
(panicproduct) - F
S2S Spark SP1 - First Impressions on 04/28/2014 17:49:53 MDT Print View

I finally had the chance to take this baby out, here are my first impressions:
http://www.chrisbrinleejr.com/summitup/2014/4/28/sea-to-summit-spark-sp1-first-impressions

More detailed review will come once it gets warmer and I have more chances to use it.

Edited by panicproduct on 04/28/2014 17:50:27 MDT.

Jesse Reeves
(JesseR.)

One night down... on 05/22/2014 18:54:07 MDT Print View

I've gotten out and spent a night in the new bag myself. I didn't push it's limits to much, as it was in the mid 40s for the low. With that said, I sleep well in only a short sleeve base layer and some capilene 1 tights and a light weight beanie. This being on an older Neoair pad with a pretty low R-value, and I slept on top of my bivy rather than inside of it. So my takeaway from this is that I can easily push it comfortably to the upper 30's with some layers that I always pack anyways(i.e. Down jacket). This more than covers the range that I was hoping for, as at that point I could opt for my WM Summerlite. Any colder than that, and I plan on experimenting, as the two bags layer nicely inside of each other. I can't imagine this not taking me to the teens if needed.

This bag is just insanely small when packed. The pictures don't do it justice! It fits anywhere you need it to, and allowed me to trim my overnight bike packing kit down to a size that two years ago I couldn't have imagined getting away with!