Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Forums Newsletter
Finding romance on the trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Finding romance on the trail on 03/28/2014 23:37:46 MDT Print View

Has anyone here found serious romance or a new relationship on the trail? Tell your story?

I discussed this recently with my usual hiking partner, another single woman. We go out onto the trail and inevitably run into interesting, attractive men, who clearly also share our favorite hobby - backpacking. And we are outnumbered - lots more men than women.

So it should be easy, right? - to meet dating prospects out there on the trail. Yet, neither of us ever took Flirting 101; we're a little boneheaded about how to do this.

I have gone on backpacking trips with men with whom I am already involved. And once I had a relationship with a guy I picked up on Craigslist rideshare and drove to the Grand Canyon - he persuaded me to let him go on my hike with me, and afterwards we met up in our hometowns and a romance budded. But I've never met anyone *on* the trail.

- Elizabeth

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Finding romance on the trail on 03/29/2014 00:09:00 MDT Print View

Ooops, didn't read the op well enough about the "on the trail" part

In my younger days* ...

Successfully via knowing a woman from an urban setting previous to a trip. In my case, about 10 years ago with a woman in the same backpacking club with me when I helped to plan and lead trips. We had gone on a couple trips, started to know each other outside of backpacking (she introduced me to contra), .. but she was the only one to sign up for an AZ trip with me. Romance kind of blossomed after that for several months, until I had to leave the US for a 1-yr job assignment. She decided a long distance relationship wasn't for her and we split up before I departed.

Add: The closest I've came to "on the trail" was in a fairly populated backcountry campsite after returning to the states. A contingent from a large hiking group (big enough to charter a bus and break into smaller interest/ability groups) camped near me and, being friendly but also very single, I struck up 2 separate, very long conversations with a lady meandering towards my tent; talked about the views, the trails, my lightweight gear, etc ... before "Dear Leader" of their group butted in, corralling her back to the group; now passing the group on the way down, he snickered about my trail runners and loudly proclaimed how trad boots were the only way to go - should have given the middle finger salute. He had some bad karma later that day anyways, as the TH road partially washed out and their bus couldn't make it, ... they hiked down to it those same trad boots a couple steep miles, delaying their return to the workweek. So a popular campsite is a good place to talk to a people ...but with women, there is increased male buffoonery in most group settings.

p.s some hikers may be into solitude experience and that needs to be respected too

p.p.s. *now I just hit square dancing night at the Elk's Lodge for the blue haired ladies with big life insurance policies .. and unfortunately, not Katy Perry blue.

ed: add, p.p.s

Edited by hknewman on 04/03/2014 18:37:35 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Finding romance on the trail on 03/29/2014 12:41:23 MDT Print View

What, uhhhh, trails do you hike on? ;-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Finding romance on the trail on 03/29/2014 17:18:54 MDT Print View

I met my husband while hiking. In off-season, in a massive downpour, in the Olympics. Real romantic ;-) Although we met online first through one of the hiking forums, and had made plans to hike - and then only him and I showed up. It wasn't love at first sight, rather we hiked together a number of times and got to know each other. I had my oldest kid, who was 5 at the time, so he had to be special for him to be let into our lives. And yes, said Kid came along on our hikes.

Anyhow, years ago we had a big group of hikers in a loose knit group, and a number of marriages and relationships came out of it, after mine. The real key was hiking with others - after all, what better way to get to know each other than over days of hiking!

Can't say though I ever flirted with guys I met while hiking, when single. It was odd to me....and knowing something about them helped us ladies relax.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
met my wife on a hike on 03/31/2014 14:19:23 MDT Print View

I met my now-wife on a full moon hike I organized for an outdoor group I was active with in the past.

To complete the loop, I proposed on a full moon hike, too.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Finding romance on the trail on 04/02/2014 21:25:02 MDT Print View

It would seem rare for that to happen on the trail since you would have to be pretty forward and there is no certainty you will see them again.

Much more common would seem to be organized groups such as meetup groups. I have seen multiple couples start relationships and get married in the last few years that way. Over Easter weekend another couple are getting married at Grand Canyon.

It would be great to end up with someone who shares your favorite recreation.

Edited by jshann on 04/02/2014 21:26:13 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Finding romance on the trail on 04/02/2014 21:32:58 MDT Print View

Just noticed that Chaff posts no longer show up when you click "recent posts". It used to. You should have posted this under "other activities" for more responses : ).

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Finding romance on the trail on 04/03/2014 15:09:38 MDT Print View

"It would be great to end up with someone who shares your favorite recreation."

Or backpacking, either one would be fine....

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Finding romance on the trail on 04/03/2014 18:24:53 MDT Print View

""It would be great to end up with someone who shares your favorite recreation."

Or backpacking, either one would be fine...."

Laughing out loud....thanks!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Finding romance on the trail on 04/03/2014 20:03:38 MDT Print View

""It would be great to end up with someone who shares your favorite recreation."

Or backpacking, either one would be fine...."

(standing ovation)

Well done sir.