November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Types of Spinnaker fabric?
Display Avatars Sort By:
David McCollum
(kb9ivb) - F

Locale: Indiana
Types of Spinnaker fabric? on 08/03/2007 11:16:50 MDT Print View

In Jay Ham's 5 part article, he used spinnaker cloth, but did not specify a type. I have found a sailing supply shop and have discovered that there are an amazing assortment of fabrics used for spinnacker sails. Some is as light as .5 oz/sailors yard. Does anyone know what particular weight I should use?

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
Types of Spinnaker fabric? on 08/03/2007 12:56:55 MDT Print View has the best avialable to DYI''s the same type I use and is very similar to the ones other makers use to. It's a silicone based coating.

Beware the online kite store type spinnaker touted as .5oz/sq/sm/yd - they are not coated with the same stuff or at all and will not be waterproof enough for a tarp. Those are also listed at the raw / untreated weights and are at min .9-1.0 oz / sq/yd. and no where near as waterproof as the Spinntexx at thru-hiker.

Yeah...I know... it's exciting to think it could be waterproof AND sub .7oz AND not expensive....

Graham Williams
(crackers) - F
spinnaker cloth on 08/06/2007 11:20:37 MDT Print View

Ditto Ron's comments, with one addition.

Most lightweight sail cloth is extremely rigid. It will make a ton of noise in the woods and isn't really good at what you're looking for...

Edited by crackers on 08/06/2007 11:21:20 MDT.