Locale: Rocky Mountains
Concerning the Wilderness Serape on 03/25/2014 12:37:48 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Concerning the Wilderness Serape

carlos fernandez rivas
(pitagorin) - MLife

Locale: Galicia -Spain
options on 03/26/2014 05:11:48 MDT Print View

If someone is interested in this concept there are some "tactical brands" trying to improve the classic "poncho liner" as hill people gear, kifaru (woobie),snugpak (poncho liner) and others.....

But there is a small brand with incredible designers (782 gear)they designed real UL "tactical gear" (smokin series) .. they produce one under 10oz poncho liner with hood.... the smoke kloke ...

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Scerape on 03/26/2014 08:53:27 MDT Print View

Very similiar to the JRB Sierra Sieries of quilts... The current models of the original JRB No Sniveller quilt, cica 2004.

Nice concept.

Pan

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Jacks-R-Better has been doing this for years on 03/26/2014 10:36:56 MDT Print View

As John so modestly mentioned, the Jack-R-Better folks have had this concept for the last 10 years using down. Their line of quilts offering a Velcro head hole work great. Yes it lacks the advantages of the synthetic insulation mentioned above, but it is a lighter system. Your sleeping quilt is your coat is your Serape.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Concerning the Wilderness Serape on 03/26/2014 11:36:10 MDT Print View

The HPG Wilderness Serape is far more versatile than the No Sniveller so they're only slightly comparable items in my opinion. Zippered edges, cinch cord for hitching it up around the waist, and full hood on the HPG. That being said, JRB deserves much praise for popularizing the DIY woobie mod design and introducing it to the UL crowd many years ago.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Concerning the Wilderness Serape on 03/26/2014 12:06:40 MDT Print View

I have a Therm-a-Rest Tech Blanket that can fill the same niche. It has a drawstring to form a foot box and snaps to mate it with a sleeping pad to use as a quilt.

It is compact but too heavy when compared with UL quilt desings. With lighter cloth and higher quality fill, it would make a good summer quilt or cold season supplement. I would definitely add a head hole to allow use as summer camp insulation.

It works very well as a warm weather top quilt in a hammock.

Tony Ronco
(tr-browsing) - MLife
RE: JRB slightly comparable item on 03/26/2014 15:22:52 MDT Print View

RE: JRB vs. HPG

HPG "slightly comparable item ... Zippered edges, cinch cord for hitching it up around the waist, and full hood"

FWIW - in addition to being much lighter, the JRB has the advantage of being modular in that it can be fitted with a full hood and it can be fitted with arms, and it is easy to have a waist tie ... so, the JRB may be more comparable than what a first glance would indicate ... just saying ;-)

BPL review of the JRB Hood
JRB hood Photo of the waist tie from the JRB website:
JRB serape

Edited by tr-browsing on 03/26/2014 15:55:56 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Concerning the Wilderness Serape on 03/26/2014 15:41:54 MDT Print View

Tony's photos very clearly show that if you want to dress up as a giant turtle in the back country then JRB quilts are the gold standard:).

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Concerning the Wilderness Serape on 03/26/2014 18:49:33 MDT Print View

The serape concept is just like the cape rain gear/shelter combo. It is not a fashion statement, but it makes sense to use your sleep insulation in camp rather than carry another pound of insulation to keep you warm for the relatively short period of camp time until you are ready to sleep.

David Olsen
(bivysack.com) - F - M

Locale: Channeled Scablands
Older than Jack on 03/26/2014 20:21:48 MDT Print View

Nessmuk had a blanket bag of mackinac wool in the 1800's. Poncho liners have been around since Vietnam. Clint Eastwood, the epitome of wild, helped sell a lot of Sears ponchos (as far as I know no relation to Nessmuk) back in the day.

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
Re: Older than Jack on 03/26/2014 21:01:20 MDT Print View

Clint Eastwood, the epitome of wild...

...and apparently for $320 it can still be yours...

http://hollywoodprop.com/spaghettiponchos.htm

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Concerning the Wilderness Serape on 03/27/2014 01:21:40 MDT Print View

Very interesting article. In particular having a synthetic top quilt really makes sense to me for certain tough conditions and then using it to supplement a lighter jacket is smart.

I wore my JRB quilt a few times, before I decided it was much too narrow for me and handed it on the my youngest boy. Most of the time I like to have a synthetic jacket with me, so a wearable down quilt wasn't that useful for me personally.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Concerning the Wilderness Serape on 03/27/2014 21:45:08 MDT Print View

JRB vs Chenault Serape

JRB has great products ... great enough for me to make an MYOG sniveler knockoff (albeit with synthetic insulation)

But as a serape alternative?

Consider that you'll be using the work horse of your sleep system as outerwear ... in marginal conditions.

Consider that down is less damp/wet weather tolerant than synthetic

Consider than the JRB sniveler offers 2.5 inches of down insulation ... much more insulation than the Chenault Serape ... much more than most would want to have at even moderate activity unless you are talking weather much colder than the quilt would handle as a sleep system ... even if augmented by clothing (unless you are packing down pants and parka)

Consider that all the sniveler photos I've seen are in fair weather

Consider that Dave (and others) are not one to stay home just because weather is far from ideal.

Consider Dave's suggested use of "going to get water on a cold morning" ... I won't be squatting at the edge of an icy stream with a down quilt dangling.

Two great ideas ... but suitable for different applications.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Scerape on 03/28/2014 11:42:04 MDT Print View

Integral Designs had a similar design for years:

http://www.fellfab.com/military/poncho-liner-blanket/