Forum Index » Gear Swap » F.S. Customized Zimmerbuilt Pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
F.S HMG and Zimmerbuilt Packs on 03/23/2014 18:09:05 MDT Print View

Time to get rid of a couple redundant packs in my closet.

First up is a customized HMG Porter 3400.

Porter

I had two modifications made on this pack.

-The fabric used is the heavier 150 d hybrid Cuban rather then the 50 d used on most HMG packs. This is the fabric now used on the Porter 4400.

-Plastic frame sheet. This is a new feature on the HMG Porter 4400 only, I had it put in mine. It boast carrying capacity with heavy duty loads.

The pack has only been outside once or twice on "try out" walks. Nothing changed since the factory.

Torso length is Long (21 inches)

Its a great pack I just don't need two heavy hauler packs and my Exped fits me just a bit better.

Asking $265

Next I'm selling a Zimmerbuilt pack with a custom hipbelt that Chris made to my specifications. Great pack I just don't need it now.

Here are the pictures Chris took of it, his are much better then the ones I took.

The pack was 28 oz when Chris weighed it. I added a foam back pad so its probably right around 30 oz now. The material is Xpac. The orange is the lighter VX07 while everything else is VX21.
There is a Gossamer Gear style removable frame, I had Chris modify the hipbelt design so the belt would be sewn on right next to the frame. I tested it with 30-35 pounds and its pretty comfortable at that weight. The really isn't room to put more then that in there. Main pack volume is around 2200 cubic inches for the main compartment.
I carried it on 5 short trips totaling about 100 miles. It has some scuffs but functionally its sound, no rips, worn spots or busted seams anywhere.

The torso length is 21 inches.

Asking $150 shipped

Edit
Black pack traded, other two still available.

Edited by Cameron on 04/14/2014 16:21:42 MDT.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
F.S. Customized Zimmerbuilt Pack on 03/24/2014 17:04:52 MDT Print View

Excellent value on an excellent pack BUMP.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

New Packs for Sale on 03/31/2014 19:35:19 MDT Print View

Totally updated the post with new packs for sale.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: F.S HMG and Zimmerbuilt Packs on 03/31/2014 20:37:54 MDT Print View

Luke - is that you in the pic with the second Zimmer pack? if so, that torso length does not look too short.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Torso Length on 03/31/2014 20:47:42 MDT Print View

I had the hipbelt sort of hiked up tall at that point. It took the weight off my shoulders but it didn't anchor as well and dug into my stomach a bit. I hike most of the day with it to try it out and was pretty sure I need another inch or so to really make the pack work to its full potential.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Torso Length on 03/31/2014 20:50:38 MDT Print View

Gotcha - sweet looking pack. Of course, I need another pack like I need another hole in the head....

Philip Tschersich
(Philip.AK) - F

Locale: Kodiak Alaska
Porter on 03/31/2014 23:48:17 MDT Print View

HMG sizes usually run small, med, large, and tall. Not sure I have heard of 'long'. I guess you mean large? There is usually a size tag sewn in under the Velcro at the top of the collar.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Porter on 04/01/2014 08:05:16 MDT Print View

Good catch Philip the Porter is size Large, not sure why I said "Long"

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Prices Lowered on HMG Porter and Zimmerbuilt Packs on 04/01/2014 17:36:54 MDT Print View

Lowered the prices a bit.

Now HMG Porter for $270

Zimmerbuilt Orange Pack for $165

Zimmerbuilt Black and Red Pack for $250

Edited by Cameron on 04/01/2014 17:37:38 MDT.

Roman Vazhnov
(joarr) - MLife

Locale: Russia
Re: F.S HMG and Zimmerbuilt Packs on 04/02/2014 13:36:51 MDT Print View

Luke, can you show plastic frame sheet for HMG?

Edited by joarr on 04/02/2014 13:40:10 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Plastic Frame Sheet on 04/02/2014 15:09:42 MDT Print View

The plastic frame sheet is sewn into the pack so its non-removable. The pack has twin aluminium stays that can be removed and bent to fit your own back. Between the frame stays the plastic frame sheet is sewn it to prevent torso collapse with really big loads.

Roman Vazhnov
(joarr) - MLife

Locale: Russia
Re: Plastic Frame Sheet on 04/02/2014 23:30:14 MDT Print View

Thank you. So it is narrow, just between stays? What is the weight of it? Sorry, can't find detailed info.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Plastic Frame Sheet on 04/03/2014 05:30:43 MDT Print View

Yes my understanding is its just between the stays. All HMG Porters have a foam pad across the whole back of the pack. Its really hard to tell the difference between those with the plastic and those without. If you look at the BPL review of this pack there is a picture where it is overloaded (68 pounds) and its sagging a lot. The plastic is meant to help with that. There were a couple other changes made since the article. The hipbelt was strengthened and the compression strap seams were reinforced. HMG says it can now carry60 pounds. I think that is a bit much but 45-50 seems doable assuming it fits right.

I weighed it with a cheap scale and got 38 oz. I personally think its a tad lighter because the larger 4400 Porter is also 38oz.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Bump on 04/03/2014 16:56:58 MDT Print View

I'd be willing to give someone a nice discount if they were interested in any two of these packs. Its would save the expense and hassle of a mailing.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

HMG Porter and Zimmerbuilt Packs FS on 04/07/2014 19:20:47 MDT Print View

I dropped the price on the Zimmerbuilt packs but not the Porter. I can use the HMG Porter but the Zimmerbuilt packs really need a new home.

Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Re: HMG Porter and Zimmerbuilt Packs FS on 04/07/2014 22:44:19 MDT Print View

What is the hipbelt size on the orange zimmer?

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re HMG Porter and Zimmerbuilt FS on 04/07/2014 23:01:53 MDT Print View

I'm about a 32 and it fits me perfectly. From measuring the belt I'd guess you could squeeze it down to about 27 inches. The webbing is removable so you could put longer pieces on and make it as big as you wanted. I'd guess the current setup would work to about 36-38 inches.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

HMG vs Zimmerbuilt on 04/08/2014 08:28:35 MDT Print View

They're still there.

I'd prefer to sell the Zimmerbuilts first and fund a new pack. I don't think I'll drop the price on the HMG unless the Zimmerbuilts sell first, I can still use the HMG although I'd prefer to switch to a smaller pack for desert trips.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Two for one deal on 04/09/2014 10:29:09 MDT Print View

Still there

$295 for both Zimmerbuilt packs

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Price Drop on 04/10/2014 10:14:28 MDT Print View

Price dropped on Zimmerbuilt black/red pack and Porter.