Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Better quilt design?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
Better quilt design? on 03/22/2014 08:54:30 MDT Print View

I saw this recently and some of the innovations, like the arm flaps and the hood-like flap with breathing hole seemed pretty useful... I wonder, can this be redesigned with light materials and synthetic insulation into a sub 16 oz 35-40 degree UL quilt? I feel like a MYOG expert might be able to really turn this into something useful... thoughts?

https://www.sierradesigns.com/product/backcountry-quilt-800-2-season

(edited for grammar)

Edited by klags on 03/22/2014 08:55:16 MDT.

Ben Smith
(bsmith_90) - M

Locale: Epping Forest
quilt design on 03/22/2014 09:15:34 MDT Print View

I really like the look of that, I'd be interested to see a cottage company or MYOG version in lighter fabrics.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Better quilt design? on 03/22/2014 09:23:42 MDT Print View

HERE is a 6 page thread on this quilt from last year

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re: Re: Better quilt design? on 03/23/2014 00:09:50 MDT Print View

Thanks for providing the link Link ;)

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
thanks on 03/24/2014 10:46:52 MDT Print View

Thanks for that link, somehow I missed that thread. I'd like to see someone do a MYOG version with some UL fabric and synthetic fill... do you think we could take it down to 16 ounces without losing any features or making it smaller? I don't know much about fabric differences, but with lighter fabric I bet it could be lighter without changes... I could also give up some of that hood/breathing slit space... I like the idea that it can be pulled over your head, but maybe it could be made a little smaller for side or stomach sleepers who don't need that vent area?