Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » MYOG The Prospector

Display Avatars Sort By:
Darren Graff
(Packfan) - M

Locale: Sierra Nevadas
MYOG The Prospector on 03/21/2014 17:56:16 MDT Print View

Work in progress! Weight so far 22 oz. with stay. I think under 2 lbs is possible. We'll see. Anyone have ideas for a removable hip belt? I've never done the hydration ports. Need to put them on the side panels . Any ideas on these?PackPackPackPack

Edited by Packfan on 03/21/2014 22:05:35 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
The Prospector on 03/22/2014 09:19:29 MDT Print View

No shortage of storage options on this one. Looks good. No recommendations on a hipbelt but hydro port is easy. Just make sure you overlap the fabric so the hole isn't exposed to let rain in.

Darren Graff
(Packfan) - M

MYOG on 03/23/2014 14:24:34 MDT Print View

Thanks Sam, I'll probably practice on some scraps for the hydration ports. On the hip belt I think I'm just trying to figure out a way to make it without binding or ribbon going around the perimeter. Maybe sew it inside out, but don't sew the area where the pack covers the hip belt. Insert the foam, tuck in the seams where the foam was inserted with the raw edges inside and sew closed. Hope this makes sense. Just trying to make the hip belt like the shoulder straps, with no binding. This will be good to figure this out for future packs or to share with others. Any help with making a removable hip belt with out perimeter binding would be great. Maybe I should post that question.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

MYOG The Prospector on 03/24/2014 10:37:04 MDT Print View

Sorry I'm not of more help. Trying to describe these things in detail with words typed into a forum isn't something I feel like tackling. Start a folder on your computer called "pack ideas" and inside it save bookmarks and photos of each and every cool idea you find. Use that for reference when you're tacking and basting scrap fabric to test ideas and then once you're feeling confident put it together into the real thing.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
hipbelt on 03/24/2014 11:07:17 MDT Print View

Darren, I make my hipbelt exactly as you described. I leave a few inches in the center unsewn so I can turn the hipbelt right side out then put the foam in and seal up. I then sew on velcro to the center of the belt and the belt straps, etc. You could sew on the strap while sewing the inside out step, but will still want to do some reinforcing at the ends once you turn it back right side out... Hope that makes sense.

Is that 300x400 cross dyed ripstop you used there? Looks pretty nice. Got any drain holes in your pockets?

Darren Graff
(Packfan) - M

MYOG on 03/24/2014 16:16:04 MDT Print View

That's a great idea Sam. Thanks, that should help things be more organized for quick reference later.
Glad to here I'm on the right track And E. Your hip belts look great. That diamond rip stop I got down in LA at Noah Lamport at Christmas time. I think he said it was 70D. Weighs about 2.5 oz. Yd. So that's probably right. I think it's double coated too. It's a little tackey so I lined the panels with white silnylon. I haven't put in drain holes yet. Hopefully I can do that still. They have some small grommets down at Mill End Fabrics I'll try. Do you heat up a Small nail for the hole?

Edited by Packfan on 03/24/2014 16:30:46 MDT.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

drain on 03/24/2014 20:28:41 MDT Print View

A small heated nail would probably be the best, or a cheap soldering iron from radio shack would do the trick.

Darren Graff
(Packfan) - M

Hip belt on 03/27/2014 11:21:43 MDT Print View

I decided to add thin plastic to the hip belt. It was one of those thin cutting boards that come in a three pack.Cut
Closing up the hip belt was a little challenging. I couldn't get it under the presser foot. Hand stitch? Nope remove it and go shoe machine style. Watch your fingers.<Sewimg src="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1395940306_101748.jpg" alt="Sew" width="550" height="413">
I didn't get the look I was trying to achieve. It is fully functional and you won't see the seam with the hip belt attached to the pack. This hip belt looks tactical.Sew
Only removable hip belt pockets remain. Water proof zipper came in from quest outfitters yesterday.
I'll fix pics later. Gob bless

Darren Graff
(Packfan) - M

MYOG on 03/27/2014 22:08:09 MDT Print View

pakcpackpackThe prospector is done! Final weight with pad,stay and removable hip belt pockets. 36 oz.

Edited by Packfan on 03/27/2014 22:23:59 MDT.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

wow on 03/28/2014 02:27:30 MDT Print View

That is a most excellent pack! It's so fun making these projects. I'm excited to see what you come up with next! I'm excited to start my next pack once I get back from NZ.

Thanks for posting in progress pictures. I always find those most helpful, and try to do the same for my projects. The process is as important/rewarding as the end product and it's great to see it all evolve and come together.

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 03/28/2014 02:30:07 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

MYOG The Prospector on 03/28/2014 10:18:21 MDT Print View

Mighty fine work!

Darren Graff
(Packfan) - M

MYOG The Prospector on 03/28/2014 17:00:04 MDT Print View

Thanks gents,have a cold one for me. And E ridding the Tasman glaicier is on my bucket list. Should be a great trip.