Backpacking solo
Display Avatars Sort By:
M B
(livingontheroad) - M
solo on 06/17/2014 19:04:27 MDT Print View

I prefer solo , except for compared to being with my son.

You meet more people, talk to them more, see more wildlife, do things at your own pace, etc.

Joe Annese
(dirtbaghiker) - M
Do it on 06/19/2014 10:02:27 MDT Print View

Really. Just do it. Stop contemplating so much and go. If you got the basics down..do simple over nighters of say 10 to 15 miles. The only way to learn some things is to do it hands on. You can read all you want..but by actually doing it you can master it. Pack your bag and go. Have fun.

Brandon M
(s2bmay) - F

Locale: DC
2 on 08/04/2014 17:06:35 MDT Print View

Going by Nick's numbers, I'm firmly in the number 2 camp. I enjoy the opportunity to hike and backpack with other individuals, but unfortunately I know very few people who share my interest. For most of my friends, the outdoors means car camping, and while there's nothing wrong with a cooler full of beer and night around the fire, like most on this site I prefer higher mileage days in the backcountry. As a result, I've had to get comfortable with solo, which to be honest I've really started to enjoy as well. As others have mentioned, it can take a couple trips alone to get comfortable with being solo in the backcountry, and it's good to start with areas/trails you're familiar with. The more solo trips I go on, the more I find myself looking forward to the time alone. It also means less people to complain when I want to stop and fish.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
first solo trip - JMT! on 08/05/2014 11:45:23 MDT Print View

I've wanted to try a solo trip for years...and I've always chickened out at the last minute, or something comes up to derail my plans. Since I did the JMT with a good friend last year, it seemed like a great hike to make my first solo adventure! (familiar trail/surroundings, easy logistics, good distance, etc)

It's crowded enough so I won't be ALONE, yet I can hike by myself, nap when I want, read with my feet in a stream when I want, camp when I want, and get up and start hiking when I want. Yet if I feel nervous, or lonely, I won't have to wait too long - if at all - for company. And I imagine I should be able to set up my tent within sight of other people any time I want...

I'm really excited - like a kid before Christmas! Can you tell I'm bored at work??

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: first solo trip - JMT! on 08/06/2014 09:41:10 MDT Print View

Thumbs Up

People who are bored at work, plan very good for adventure.