Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Does anyone comb their fleece or pile?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Min M
(lark) - M

Locale: Southern BC
Does anyone comb their fleece or pile? on 03/18/2014 23:59:20 MDT Print View

I have a pair of mitts made out of Polartec Thermal Pro fleece that have started looking a bit matted in high wear areas. I tried combing out a small patch with sewing pins, resulting in the patch looking more like the unmatted parts of the glove.

Does combing restore most of the insulating properties of the fleece? Would it be better to get new mitts?

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Does anyone comb their fleece or pile? on 03/19/2014 00:40:17 MDT Print View

In the early 80's Patagonia pile garments got very pilly with use. They could be restored to date-worthy clothing (well, in Berkeley) by shaving the pills off.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Does anyone comb their fleece or pile? on 03/19/2014 06:57:50 MDT Print View

Don't trash 'em yet.

Try David's shaving technique - using a sweater shaver first.

Stephen Komae
(skomae) - MLife

Locale: northeastern US
Wash on 03/19/2014 07:49:25 MDT Print View

Did you try washing and drying it? I find that when my fleece gets matted it's only a matter of a simple laundry cycle to bring it back.

Patrick M.
(patrat)
wire brush on 03/19/2014 09:13:31 MDT Print View

I have read that the nap is created in the first place using a wire brush. I have been thinking about trying this on my fleece to freshen it up.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Does anyone comb their fleece or pile? on 03/19/2014 09:45:33 MDT Print View

Use a cat hair brush. Works perfectly.

Min M
(lark) - M

Locale: Southern BC
Re: Does anyone comb their fleece or pile? on 03/19/2014 15:56:22 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the suggestions. Interesting how the nap is created.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Hmmm... on 03/19/2014 17:04:54 MDT Print View

I brush my 300 weight pile jacket once in a while and it purrs in appreciation.