JMT Gear List - Need to lost 3-5lbs
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"JMT Gear List - Need to lost 3-5lbs" on 03/15/2014 21:09:12 MDT Print View

"How frequently were you doing the balance exercises?"
---------
Andrew, I find that once or twice a week is sufficient for me these days and the session doesn't have to be very long- maybe 15 minutes.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: JMT Gear List - Need to lost 3-5lbs on 03/15/2014 21:20:28 MDT Print View

Why not take the rain kilt and ditch the rain pants? That saves about 9 oz.
Also you can do way better for an insulating layer than the 13 oz atom. I used the montbell ex light down puffy at 5 oz. it was sweet!!

Also I did NOT heed the advice and actually brought a short sleeved shirt. Waste. Total waste. And if you are as white as I am you will never, ever wear it. Too cold at night, too sunny during the day. So either go for another long sleeve for sleeping, or just take the one shirt.

And + a dozen or so about carrying a 5 pound pack.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
volume on 03/16/2014 18:46:07 MDT Print View

" At this point, I'd be happy with a base of 15 with a Bearikade weekender or maybe an expedition. I'm freaking horrible at figuring out how much volume food takes up."

Go to Hobby Lobby if you live near one, they sell little paper mache boxes. Buy one that is about 80-100 in3, or build yourself an exact small one out of thin wood.
Put a days food in it. Set minimum of 140+ cal/oz overall for all meals and snacks. If you stick heavily to peanut butter, olive oil, pepperoni, tortillas, precooked bacon (yum), trail mix, and junk foods, you can get 4000 cal into 80 cubic inches. Plan to eat heavily at TM, RM, VVR the first week to make up for any calorie deficit, and accept the calorie deficit you will run the last week+ to WP.

do this and you can get 8 days food in the weekender, and another day not in it when leaving MTR. 9 days food should be plenty for a light hiker to get to WP.

All food must be repackaged in ziplocks and rolled up tight. Any snack foods need wrapper pierced with needle, expel all air, then put a small piece scotch tape back over the hole if desired.

Edited by livingontheroad on 03/16/2014 18:56:16 MDT.

Jason Mahler
(jrmahler) - M

Locale: Michigan
Pack on 03/23/2014 05:32:59 MDT Print View

I have never used a McHale, so can't compare, but I have carried 28 lbs in an arcblast and it carried like a dream. I know it doesn't seem like it, but the support is great. I have also read that adding the lumbar pad makes it even better. Again, I don't have experience with McHale, but based on my experience and a lot of other reviews I have read, I think it is a low risk swap out. Also, remember that as you eat food, your pack weight drops. I consider this important because I would rather have an uncomfortable pack for a couple days (until you eat enough to make the pack comfortable) than carry an extra 3-4 lbs for the entire trip.

Other points..
-11oz for rain pants seems like a lot for something you will likely rarely wear. I have a pair of Luke's pants that are in the 4oz range and much cheaper. Can't hike in them, but I can't hike in any rain gear without wetting them out from the inside.

-I made the switch to trail runners and can't believe how much better they are. I used to have soaked feet despite avoiding getting the boots wet. Now I don't care and I never get blisters. Just make certain you have good quick dry socks and trail runners that are designed to drain and dry fast.

-2 lbs per day of food is a lot. 1.5 lbs is more typical, but everyone is different.

Edited to add bullet points instead of adding another post.

Edited by jrmahler on 03/23/2014 05:47:20 MDT.

Andrew Martin
(am1982) - M

Locale: PacNW
RE: RE: more updates on 03/25/2014 18:52:11 MDT Print View

I've updated the gear list spreadsheet to make it aesthetically easier to see the sub-category totals and added some italicized and purple text next to gear that would be need to be purchased.

I also added in a section to estimate my consumable weight and calculate total carried. I'm seeing that with an Arc Blast I'd likely be ~30lbs with 7 days of food and 2 liters of water and an 4oz fuel canister. I'm guessing I'd actually need to carry and 8oz fuel canister (is that about 13oz?)

Some changes:

- Possible swap REI eVent rain pants for Montbell Versalight: -7oz
- Possible swap Arcyteyx Atom LT for Cerium LT: -5oz (ugh $$$)
- Possible swap Mchale for 60L Arc Blast: -55oz (!)

Woot! 12lb base weight with all swaps.

Edit: Saw the gear forum thread about my jacket question so no need.

@Jen M: You know, I am indeed pale (can't tan albino power) so yes - might as well ditch that extra short sleeve shirt or swap out for a second long sleeve. Not sure which I'd do since I can see utility in having a sleeping shirt or a swap for when I "wash* up in a lake.

Jason, Jenn, M.B: Ok, you've convinced me to lower my estimate for food to 1.75 PPD (low body fat % = high metabolism). Thanks for your comments. Overall, I believe that I've got a pretty good system to protect me from light rain and wind while hiking, sun on nice days, and use the wind layers and insulation to stay warm at night.

Edited by am1982 on 03/28/2014 13:30:36 MDT.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Rain Pants. on 04/01/2014 03:01:11 MDT Print View

Take a jacket or pocho. Leave the pants and the kilt at home. If you have nylon pants to hike in, they'll dry fast enough for summer in the sierras. I spend bout 30 nights a summer up there and with the exception of a weird wet week a couple of years ago, I have never needed rain pants. If it's that bad, get on your shelter and wait for it to pass. I'd skip the kilt too, but it's a reasonable compromise.

Jason Mahler
(jrmahler) - M

Locale: Michigan
Re: Rain Pants. on 04/05/2014 07:40:16 MDT Print View

I can't stand hiking in rain pants, because they make me sweat like crazy. If it is warm and rainy, I just leave them at home because my pants (Ramparts) dry really quickly. If it is cold and rainy, then I like to put my rain pants on when I stop hiking. What this seems to do is trap the heat from my body inside of the rain pants, which helps to dry out my pants somewhat. This has made it more manageable since without rain pants I would wake up with cold and wet pants to start the next day in, which isn't fun for the first hour.