Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece?

Display Avatars Sort By:
michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 09:21:47 MDT Print View

I currently have a 16oz (was 19) fleece liner that I cut the zipper off. I was planning on sewing up the footbox and trimming it to get a lower weight.

I thought about ordering 2 yards of pertex quantum 20d at .9oz sq/yd. This would help wind not rip though the fleece as easily and it is much needed because I was cold before using just the fleece.

Should I stay with the fleece? My gut says find something lighter but I will lose the loft. With a pertex shell I should be okay as I'm gUessing I will see a significant warmth gain.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 09:30:51 MDT Print View

Warmth to weight of fleece is 1/4 synthetic.

Fleece bag will be heavy and not warm. Maybe good down to 60 F if you wear a base layer. 2.5 oz Apex would be good down to maybe 40 F and weigh less.

Fleece is good for hat or gloves that have a small area so they don't weigh much, or for a shirt or vest exercising in really cold weather because it doesn't add much warmth so you won't sweat.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 09:36:52 MDT Print View

If I used fleece I could use an apex outer shell.

If I used syn. Apex I would need to use an outer and an inner. I couldn't use pertex as the inner because it is too clammy.

I would have to use silk or cotton? Using apex I am using 3 layers of material. I need to find something light and comfortable against skin.

Edited by M.L on 03/12/2014 09:38:41 MDT.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 09:38:44 MDT Print View

Yep, the 2.5oz Apex quilt I made is good (for me) into the 40's, weighs 16.5oz, and packs much, much smaller than a fleece blanket. I just used 1.1oz ripstop nylon so you could save a little weight using lighter fabrics.

You said hot weather though. Around here it doesn't get below 70 degrees in the summer and even a fleece blanket is too hot. I've just used a bag liner for the times I was dumb enough to go out in that kind of weather. I always thought a piece of silk sewn in the shape of a quilt would be ideal for that kind of weather.

Adam

Edited by aroth87 on 03/12/2014 09:39:25 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 09:43:19 MDT Print View

Maybe I could use silk as the inside fabric with the lightest apex layer on top and pertex shell?

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 09:50:46 MDT Print View

What temperature range are you wanting to use it for? That might help clear up some confusion.

Adam

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 09:54:25 MDT Print View

I need to take it down to 60. I will have a jacket and a poncho vbl if it's not enough.

Avg. Night temp about 70 though.

I would like to be under 10oz, and have a comfy non sticky next to skin surface. Possible?

Edited by M.L on 03/12/2014 09:58:49 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 10:00:14 MDT Print View

you could get a 2.1oz Apex quilt in a 10oz Package.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 10:15:00 MDT Print View

True, but I am worried because ul fabric is super sweaty in the heat. Some sort of wicking material would be nice...

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 10:17:31 MDT Print View

Just use insulated jacket? Maybe have just a layer of Pertex or whatever on the outside to prevent drafts?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 10:18:58 MDT Print View

I use Nobul1 against skin and it feels okay, but I'm not too picky about being clammy

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 10:29:02 MDT Print View

The Therm-a-Rest Tech Blanket is a good model. It has a drawstring and snaps eton form a foot box and more snaps to attach it to your pad. It is too heavy at 21.2 oz, but very compact and simple.

I would make a similar blanket with the lightest non-bearding cloth with a good DWR and the highest performance ~60g synthetic fill. I would add a center head hole to allow use as a serape in camp. It would basically be a Nano Puff blanket.

A 100g version wouldn't bother me and would get more use.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 14:04:44 MDT Print View

I think I might use silk and sew some .9oz pertex on top, it should be about 7 ounces.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 14:17:22 MDT Print View

Get a military surplus poncho liner and modify it into a quilt. The material was designed for use in tropical climates and isn't very clammy imo. Perfect for 60-70 temps.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Re: Re: Re: let's make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece? on 03/12/2014 14:51:30 MDT Print View

I use a 2.5 oz climashield apex quilt with a silk shell for warm weather. Nice and breathable and great against the skin. Weighs about 9oz. Silk from dharma trading.

Benjamin Evison
(benevision)
down "blanket" and silk liner on 03/12/2014 14:57:46 MDT Print View

I made a micro-baffled down quilt with some left-over 850+ down between two layers of nobul-1 (stitched through baffles with about 2cm (.8") loft.

Because I perspire a lot I also use a very light Thai silk liner from eBay (make sure its 100% silk - they call sweaty synthetic blends silk too!). On hot Australian summer nights the silk is perfect alone...

The quilt weighs 214g (7.5oz) and the silk liner 116g although that could be cut down quite a bit.

This setup is certainly comfortable to 15°C (60F) but I've had it down to 10°C (50°F) with all my [summer] clothes on.

I like the lightness of the quilt so much I take it travelling as well in preference to guest-room blankets or duvets.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: down "blanket" and silk liner on 03/12/2014 15:39:25 MDT Print View

Thanks for the great ideas! How many yards should I order? Is 2 yards okay thats 6 feet, it comes in 59inches wide?

Do I need 3 yards?

Rick .
(overheadview) - F

Locale: NYC
Silk and M90T on 03/12/2014 15:48:59 MDT Print View

Here's a source for silk, think I pulled it off of here and haven't ordered yet. http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/silk-habotai-fabrics.html

I'd throw M90T into your against-skin options, I love the fabric against the skin. Though I haven't used it in 70f temps. You may need only that and a shell with the lightest insulation. M90T doesn't breathe as well as pertex quantum but feels fabulous (T=taffeta coating). Though my liner/shell weighted 9oz with M90T and Quantum (and baffles and drawstring) on my quilt before sewing. So you'd be close to 8 without any insulation. Its breathable but wind resistant, with a dwr though, so that may help depending on shelter type.

If you'd wear longsleeve/long underwear baselayers anyway the feeling against the skin is somewhat moot. (that's an if, I might but I don't think everyone would)

60-70 is the temp your house is mostlikely, what do you use on your bed? I think a silk/pertex "quilt" would be really nice at the right temp range.

I ordered from Quest some wicking material, the remnant piece I got was ~4oz/sq yd (sewed wicking buffs out of a small remnant to try it). That might be an option, it's just like raw baselayer material. A shell would be optional if you have a closed shelter.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re: Silk and M90T on 03/12/2014 16:03:52 MDT Print View

Silk Habotai 5mm and 55in wide is that the best / lightest?

Should I order 2 yards or 3? If I get two yards of silk I can jut food that in half and build a whole quilt with 2 yards? I think I will/could use something non silk for the shell for ind resistance. If I can do this with some cheap climashield or similar I think that is the way to go. Much better than fleece.

If you were to build one yourself what website and exact materials would you buy? This will be the second time I have ever used a sewing machine so sorry for the dunceness ;)

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Re: Silk and M90T on 03/12/2014 16:39:27 MDT Print View

I'd go 3 yds to be safe. If you're not doing it flat without a sewn footbox you'll need a few extra inches. 5mm Habatai is what I've used from Dharma. It's definitely pretty airy (which is nice for summer desert nights) but if you're wanting some wind resistance something else might be a good idea for the outer shell. If I were going that route I'd go with nobul 1 from tigoat. Lighter, more breathable, and cheaper than M90. http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Fabric.html