Paradox Unaweep
Display Avatars Sort By:
kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
Unaweep Photos on 03/17/2014 08:36:34 MDT Print View

Hi everyone.

Max thanks for the offer we might take you up on it ;)

The Unaweep is optimized for 26 inch frame, but will work on a 28 , it will just be sort of a partial bag / like old externals. It will work on a 24 as well. It basically, just sort of slides up the frame and anchors via hold down straps. At 24 it covers the entire frame, at 26 it has a small gap at the bottom and at 28 the gap increases to about 4 inches.

Regarding bag sizing, a 3900 would be a nice size and we can consider it if we know there are enough orders to do a production run. With the Unaweep, and I am being real honest from a production standpoint, we are trying to bring down price by offering a more standardized options. Customizing each bag, increases cut / sew / management and delivery time. Being more standardized, reduces those and allows us to offer it at a lower price point and once past the first production run, faster lead times, perhaps shipping within a few days for standardized variations vs 4 to 8 weeks for more customized stuff. Heck, we would even be willing to a do a Cuben 3900 run , if there was enough to support a small production run.

So here is what to do, regarding desiring of pack bags. Please send us an email at info@seekoutside.com , use the subject line of Unaweep Feature Request. State the sizing and fabric and zipper or no zipper orientation you would like , as well as anything else. We will take these comments, and see if there is a very common thread, and if so add it into our production. We also, may respond back wanting more details. Sound good ?

Now, we added a couple ounces back in on the Unaweep to increase the overall robustness of the design. These packs are still used for heavy loads, and we would rather build them to give many many years of reliable service , even if it adds an ounce or two. We know how we can strip a few ounces and be more inline with UL production methods, but we prefer to strike a balance of long term durability.

Here is the official word on packbag sizing as well. The 4800 is officially, 4950 CI with 3 rolls at 33 inch height. This does not include Water bottle Pockets which ad 500 CI. When rolled down to frame height on a 26 inch frame it is 3900 interior volume.

While on the subject, how do you feel about other colors, like blue , etc. Any particular color you love ?

Here is a link with some more photos
UnaweepUnaweepopentop

Nathan Coleman
(RockChucker30) - M
3900 on 03/25/2014 08:15:34 MDT Print View

We've added a 3900 ci size option to the Unaweep line.

Unaweep 3900

Rob Lee
(roblee) - MLife

Locale: Southern High Plains
Unaweep on 06/13/2014 14:29:48 MDT Print View

I just became aware of these packs. Interesting design.Hope to see Dave C's report soon. Couple more ques:

What is the shape of the bottom of the water bottle pocket? Flat, like the bottom of a gator-aid bottle or tapered so a bottle won't rest fully at bottom of pocket?

Will the roll top buckles clip to each other, dry bag style?

If you want the pack to sit upright on the ground is it best to have the 26' frame?

Is the load sling permanent? How does it attach to each side of the pack? Is it important to keep the bag from sagging? Could you use the sling to attach an item to the bottom of the pack?

Some of the pics suggest the bottom side compression strap (both with and without the Talon)may interfere with the bottle pocket. Can you elaborate please.

Any additional colors yet? many pics of red, but it seems not an option now. Thanks

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Re: Unaweep on 06/13/2014 15:10:02 MDT Print View

Rob, here are some photos and numbers from the 3900 Unaweep in VX42: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2014/05/05/paradox-unaweep/

I really, really like it. Aside from a 25ish liter frameless pack for day stuff and short summer trips, the Unaweep checks all boxes. It's heavier than the numerous 40-50 liter light internal-frame packs I have, but carries anything less than a perfect load so much better that it's hard to not bring the Unaweep. Two weeks ago I brought one of my homemade packs along on a trip to save a bit of weight. I had right around 30 pounds to start, half of which was packrafting stuff and snowshoes (strapped to the back). It didn't take long for me to regret not bringing the Unaweep.

To answer your questions:

-The side pockets are a piece of fabric wider (front to back) than the sidepanel, sewn with pleats in the bottom. They don't cradle things quite like a shaped, three dimensional pocket. They still easily fit a nalgene when the pack is full. The upside of this design is that they lay flat when not in use, and are faster and simpler (cheaper) to sew.

-The rolltop buckles clip to each other. I always use it like this.

-Probably. I don't think a 24 inch frame would be an issue in this respect, a 28 inch frame might stick down a bit from the packbag if the pack is really crammed full.

-The load sling is a rectangular piece of cordura sewn into the bottom seam. It wraps up over the bottom and attaches to either the bottom side compression straps or the buckles on the bottom of one of the talons. I prefer to use it with a talon. You can use it to compress the bottom of the pack if you have a small load, or hold something like a sleeping pad underneath a full bag. I like to stash small game shot in the field here. It also provides a double bottom over most of the base, enhancing abrasion resistance.

Rob Lee
(roblee) - MLife

Unaweep on 06/13/2014 15:19:34 MDT Print View

Found Dave's review on his site after posting the above. He had some nice views that answered most of my ques. One thing I noticed was the height of the bottle pocket. It would be great if they were high enough to go above the shoulder of a nalgene to prevent it from falling out. Lookin' to treat myself so I get hung up on minutia to justify the expense.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Unaweep Question on 06/13/2014 16:03:27 MDT Print View

DaveC, Is the shoulder harness on the Unaweep removable?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Re: Unaweep on 06/13/2014 16:21:02 MDT Print View

If you can wreck hard enough to shake a 1L nalgene out of a tightly cinched Unaweep side pocket, loosing your bottle will not be amongst your most pressing problems.

Valerie, the harness attaches and adjusts via two 1" ladderlocks. Removal is dead easy.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Thanks, DaveC on 06/13/2014 16:51:51 MDT Print View

Thanks, Dave.

I'm considering the Unaweep since the Fusion 65 didn't work out for me, and I have widely varying loads (up to 8L of water if I'm caching, plus a week's food and gear!).

The Unaweep's shoulder harness looks a mite "beefy" and masculine, so it may require that I re-purpose the Osprey harness I modified to fit the Fusion...

Eli Palmer
(Wonkbro) - M

Locale: Kamuela, Hawaii
Unaweep Fabric on 06/13/2014 17:25:43 MDT Print View

I'm thinking about getting the pack for the PCT.

Been emailing back and fourth with a consumer sales rep. The red color pack is VX07. I prefer this color to all the other ones. It all together weighs 2lb 11oz.

It also comes in Ranger Green Cuben 2.92, for $50 more. I don't like the color, but it only weighs 2lb 8oz. $50 to save three oz is pretty good.

Does anyone know the durability/abrasion resistance differences between the two fabrics?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Re: Thanks, DaveC on 06/13/2014 17:35:20 MDT Print View

The foam in the current version is (for me) a great balance between being soft and supportive. In any case, adding two lengths of 1 inch webbing would be dead easy.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Re: Unaweep Fabric on 06/13/2014 17:39:18 MDT Print View

They're only charging 50 bucks extra for hybrid cuben over VX07?! That is a bargain considering the difference in wholesale prices.

Durability is probably comparable between the two, with cuben maybe a bit better. For majority trail hiking, VX07 or hybrid cuben would both be fine. If you do a lot of bushwacking or canyon hiking I'd recommend a heavier fabric

Rob Lee
(roblee) - MLife

Paradox Unaweep on 06/13/2014 20:11:44 MDT Print View

Dave,
Thanks for thoughtful and speedy replies. You have created some buzz about this pack and company. Such a glowing review by someone as active as you really makes me think Paradox is 1)lucky to have your input and 2) really on to something. There is a lot to like about this design. I hate to buy a "new" model when it first comes out, thinking that it will take a couple versions to make it all it can be. I was surprised to read on your site how quickly this was developed even giving that it is only a modification of their original design. Looking forward to more input from other users. Since you have a conduit to them I noticed on your 3rd picture that the upper LL attachment seemed to be pulling hard on the stitching. Maybe something to consider along with the width of that attachment location I saw mentioned on another thread.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Re: Paradox Unaweep on 06/13/2014 21:22:10 MDT Print View

Thanks Rob. I obviously think they're pretty awesome, but I'm one not unbiased person so take that as you will.

I do think the load lifters could be a slightly better spot. My other request is for a big honkin' webbing haul handle, but apparently that isn't a universal demand so they're holding off. In my book the harness, suspension, and bag shape are dialed; with the rest being details.

One of the cool things about companies like Seek Outside and Mountain Laurel Designs, who run the whole product cycle out of what is effectively one location, is that innovation and development happens fast and doesn't get watered down. It's a lot more fun to talk directly with the director/COO/head designer than to run feedback through someone at a hired PR firm.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
timelines on 06/16/2014 12:29:31 MDT Print View

Hi Rob

The Unaweep development itself was not as fast as it had seemed. It was primarily Angie's (co owner of seek outside) concept that she had had been playing with for a while. Since she is so involved with production, she gets the production aspect very well and has a great working relationship with our head seamstress that does all prototyping. Together they did most of the leg work for it to work using the Paradox suspension components and many of the same construction techniques that had been extensively tested. The frame itself, I had been using the UL frame for a year, we just did not offer it initially, because we wanted to do further testing with it.

Regarding both packs, I'm sure there will be some updates and enhancements as time progresses. It is a natural part of who we are, always trying to refine and improve. Most people say the packs fit great, and carry very well so I doubt we will change a lot. We may add a feature here, or change how it is presented to provide better value or service, but I suspect most changes to be very minor.