Forum Index » Gear Swap » Titanium Firefly Wood Stove w/Flexport, Titanium Cookset-Snow Peak 700ml w/ Caldera Cone ,12-10 stove, Ultralight Lid, and Caddy

Display Avatars Sort By:
robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Titanium Firefly Wood Stove w/Flexport SOLD SOLD SOLD-Titanium Cookset-Snow Peak 700ml w/ Caldera Cone SOLD on 03/10/2014 22:53:47 MDT Print View

Firefly titanium wood stove with Flexport and additional side that I have been using as a floor to protect the surface a bit under the stove. The flex port is very handy if you want to feed in longer sticks. I had no trouble keeping this little stove going for over a hour on a couple of occasions. It has only been used to burn wood 5-6 times and includes the standard light soot on the inside. The stove also includes the raised titanium pot supports, but the originals worked best for me. The nice thing about this stove is that all the sides nest together when you take it apart. It is easy to avoid the soot when you put it in the carry bag(included) 2.68oz on my scale with the flexport, 2.51oz with standard side. SOLD SOLD SOLD Firefly Stove

Titanium Cookset-SOLD SOLD SOLD--- Snow peak 700ml Titanium mug with lightweight aluminum strainer lid w/wooden lid top. Mug is without a single dent that I could see, but the outside has darkened with use(which seems to speed up the cooktime). The wooden lid top keeps you from burning yourself and is much lighter than the original stainless steel lid. The Caldera Cone has plenty of marks and small dings but is perfectly usable and fits the mug perfectly. Includes a cut down Smartwater bottle to use as an ultralight caddy for the cone(.92oz)The 12-10 stove has been used 2-3 times and is in great shape. The complete cookset weighs 5.68oz on my scale without the caddy. SOLD SOLD SOLDCaldera Cone with 12/10 stove and caddy

Edited by mtnbob123 on 03/20/2014 10:23:36 MDT.

John Jonas
(hjuan99) - MLife
caldera on 03/10/2014 23:12:08 MDT Print View

This is an aluminum cone, correct?

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Caldera Cone on 03/10/2014 23:30:11 MDT Print View

Yes, this is the Aluminum Caldera Cone with a titanium 700ml pot and a lightweight aluminum lid, and a 12-10 stove.

BTW if you need a fast response to a question you can email me at rovoorhees@spart7.org
Otherwise I usually am not home until after 7pm EST

Edited by mtnbob123 on 03/11/2014 08:55:17 MDT.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Caldera Cone Cookset SOLD Firefly Stove SOLD!!! on 03/11/2014 18:55:39 MDT Print View

Caldera Cone Cookset is sold.
Firefly Titanium Woodstove with Flex Port and extra side SOLD

Edited by mtnbob123 on 03/11/2014 22:17:21 MDT.

D S
(smoke) - F
Issues with Condition of Cook Set on 03/19/2014 11:28:43 MDT Print View

Titanium Cookset-SOLD SOLD SOLD--- Snow peak 700ml Titanium mug with lightweight aluminum strainer lid w/wooden lid top. Mug is without a single dent that I could see, but the outside has darkened with use(which seems to speed up the cooktime). The wooden lid top keeps you from burning yourself and is much lighter than the original stainless steel lid. The Caldera Cone has plenty marks and small dings but is perfectly usable and fits the mug perfectly. Includes a cut down Smartwater bottle to use as an ultralight caddy for the cone(.92oz)The 12-10 stove has been used 2-3 times and is in great shape. The complete cookset weighs 5.68oz on my scale without the caddy. SOLD SOLD SOLD

I bought this and think it was misrepresented in text and selective pics. Notice how the text specifically says the mug is "without a single dent" and the pic kinda covers that area. Also the text says the 12-10 "is in great shape" The pic shows the good side/angle of the 12-10. The black residue on both pieces indicate they have been this way for a while. I have not used either piece. The box was undamaged. Please refer to my actual pics as received.

Actual as received

12-10 as received

I asked the seller for refund to include return ship and he refuses. He did offer to refund if returned on my dime, which is unacceptable to me.

Also,see this - http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/88883/index.html

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
dent on 03/19/2014 12:11:56 MDT Print View

"Mug is without a single dent that I could see..."

... when I put something in front of the spot where the dent is.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Issues with Condition of Cook Set on 03/19/2014 12:29:50 MDT Print View

Agree that it was misrepresented in the original for sale post. Seller should do the right thing and refund your money and pay shipping back to him, IMO.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Hmmm... on 03/19/2014 14:07:12 MDT Print View

That is a very well used cook kit. I sure hope you didn't pay much for it. Pretty ballsy to even re-sell it in that condition, IMHO.

D S
(smoke) - F
I'd be OK IF- on 03/19/2014 14:12:06 MDT Print View

While used, I'd be OK with it IF it was in the condition advertised!

John Jonas
(hjuan99) - MLife
firefly on 03/19/2014 14:15:45 MDT Print View

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I bought the firefly and it was in the condition shown in the picture (the opposite side didn't have a dent in it or something). Just like in the picture it had soot on it but nothing else appeared "off" with it.

John Jonas
(hjuan99) - MLife
shipping? on 03/19/2014 15:11:07 MDT Print View

And...just as an aside question...I'm not saying who is or isn't right here, but how much would shipping be anyway? The stove/pot was like 6 oz...so you could send it first class USPS. Even with delivery confirmation, wouldn't shipping be like $2?

D S
(smoke) - F
Shipping on 03/19/2014 17:21:21 MDT Print View

Shipping is $5.60 Priority. But that's not the point! This all could have been avoided if the seller would have been up-front. I would never have bought it to begin with.

L Lanian
(Lanian) - F

Locale: California, U.S.A.
Priority vs first class on 03/19/2014 17:31:21 MDT Print View

Well, that's priority shipping.
First class is anything under 13oz, and usually runs ~$2.50

D S
(smoke) - F
Shipping on 03/19/2014 17:36:43 MDT Print View

Yes, but 1st Class offers no insurance and no tracking.

Why should I have to lose 1 red cent on this deal?

And I wouldn't dare ship it with no tracking, as all he's got to say is that he never got it!

Edited by smoke on 03/19/2014 17:38:23 MDT.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: Issues with Condition of Cook Set on 03/19/2014 22:32:47 MDT Print View

I agree. While both of these has been used a lot, he should definitely have pointed out these dents. I mean, plenty of other people would have been happy to use them, I know if it was what I wanted, I would have bought these pieces at a good price. The dents mean nothing to me, but its the principle.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
response on 03/20/2014 09:17:23 MDT Print View

I would like to see a response from the seller on this thread.

It seems hinky to me.

But if the items are functional and were bought for a price that was acceptable for the condition they are in, then outing the seller should be enough recompense. What was the price paid? Were they dirt cheap or just slightly less than new?

Edited by klackamas on 03/20/2014 10:19:00 MDT.

D S
(smoke) - F
Price on 03/20/2014 09:43:52 MDT Print View

If it makes any difference, I paid $45 shipped (original asking price was $50 shipped) for the cook-set. I did consider that to be an OK price if the items met the description. The cone is the old aluminum one without the reinforced dovetail. The items are functional I guess (haven't used), but I don't consider it to be a great deal, considering the condition. Notice I said nothing about the condition of the cone, as I think it was properly described.

I expect the seller to sit back and wait for the talk to die down. Once this moves off the front page, it's pretty much forgotten.

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Two Sides to Every Story on 03/20/2014 10:07:30 MDT Print View

This will be the only time I reply to this unwarranted character attack. My record speaks for itself. I stand by the original description and pictures. They speak for themselves. The cup was well used but had no dents when I shipped it out, and the stove was far from pretty but didn't look like it did after DS got to it. Regardless, I offered a full refund if items were returned at his cost of a few dollars, but after the constant barrage of nasty emails, I will no longer accept anything from D S or ever deal with him again. If anyone would like pictures of the items sold from different angles, taken at the same time, PM me I will be glad to send them, but I will not continue this on here.

P.S. Since this posting I have been contacted by four BPL members telling me that they had similar experiences with Dean Smoak, and after his repeated abuse have actually let him keep items just to get him off their back. I will do no such thing. I have been buying and selling on here for over two years and have never had anything but good reviews and good experiences with BPL members. This is obviously not the case with Dean, who is happy to use threats of "shaming" me in the BPL forum as his weapon of choice. I hope you do not give him the chance to do the same to you.

Edited by mtnbob123 on 03/20/2014 23:04:34 MDT.

D S
(smoke) - F
BS on 03/20/2014 10:16:14 MDT Print View

The above is BS. Why would I damage the items?

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Everyone cool it! on 03/20/2014 10:56:31 MDT Print View

Dean is an abrasive dude! But, he's a good dude.

He and I had a challenge (my fault for poorly describing something) and we had a discussion, but ultimately, if both parties represent themselves fairly and come to fair terms, Dean is happy to acquiesce and make a compromise.

He compromised, he was polite, and I would and have done business with him since then.

As I see it, Dean is picky about the condition of the items, which is his right as the buyer. Since it's "just a few dollars" I think it's fair for the OP to pay it because the items DO look like they were misrepresented. It would be good form for the original seller to compensate Dean fully and take care of his sale.

This is not a big deal, and an opportunity to avoid conflict by taking responsibility for the items you're selling.

So, as I see it, Dean shouldn't have to pay return shipping and everyone needs to calm down. Accusations of "Character attacks" and "BS" are way out of line- this is a friendly forum and everyone just wants to help eachother. Keep the drama in emails if you feel the need to fight.