Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
I wish I had...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Dirksen
(NamelessWay) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
I wish I had... on 03/08/2014 13:41:29 MST Print View

Just wondering from those that have recently gone.

Was there something you "wished" you had with you, the last time you were at Philmont?

Binoculars? A chair? Something like that?

Tony Ronco
(tr-browsing) - MLife
Re: I wish I had... on 03/08/2014 15:42:28 MST Print View

We went last summer (Aug)when it was raining a lot ... This may seem unusual, but I wish I took my umbrella with me - it would have provided much better ventilation options than the hood of my rain shell.

I also could have made good use have having a portable "rain shadow" from on & off precipitation we encountered.

I left it behind because of the weight ... doh!
YMMV

John Myers
(dallas) - F - MLife

Locale: North Texas
Re: I wish I had... on 03/08/2014 16:43:08 MST Print View

I can't think of anything I whish I had taken. My 2 luxuries are a Slinglight chair and Golite mylar umbrella. I can say for sure that if I didn't take them, I would have wished I had. I use both of those a lot, and am always glad to have them.

I got a lot of grief from my crew for having a chair and hiking with my umbrella for shade, but our last trek had a lot mileage in the northern burn area with no shade at all. So I used it a lot.

I'm old and have come to the point where I'm going to do it the way I want to no matter what anyone says. And I do like sitting in a comfortable chair and hiking in the shade. :)

Edited by dallas on 03/08/2014 16:43:52 MST.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
nope on 03/09/2014 18:18:04 MDT Print View

Not a single thing, and my gear weighed all of 8 lbs. 12 with a generous 4 lb share of crew gear.

Bruce Mueller
(brucemueller) - M

Locale: Midwest
Foamy knee pad on 03/09/2014 18:40:18 MDT Print View

When we go back this year, I'm going to lighten up in a number of ways, but I'll gladly spend a couple of ounces for a little closed cell foamy kneeling pad (like from the garden department). While we were always able to find a nice place to sit and socialize, on some days, a little bit of seat cushion would be a small slice of heaven. I chided one of my overpacked advisors on his pad last time around, but came to realize that it would have been a worthwhile addition.

IWGBTP!

B.

Joseph Jacaruso
(CaptainJac) - MLife

Locale: Southeast
Re: nope on 09/01/2014 14:59:24 MDT Print View

Would you mind sharing your gear list?

Gerry Brucia
(taedawood) - MLife

Locale: Louisiana, USA
Glad that I had... on 11/20/2014 11:52:44 MST Print View

When I last went to Philmont, at the last minute I threw in an old (1926) hardcover copy of Dickens' "Great Expectations". I was so glad I had it. Hiking with a group of young adults (the other adult just 21 years old) I quickly grew tired of adolescent company and embraced some wonderful reading. If I go again in 2016, I will gladly take the extra pound or less for a book or kindle.