Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this? on 03/11/2014 23:08:51 MDT Print View

"Franco, you are wrong, these systems are incredibly secure, user friendly (with the right molle attachment device), easily compressed, easily balanced, and can be protective of the bag they are carrying."

My comments were about the exact way Rick intended to do his modular pack version, not the general idea nor the Molle frame nor the LuxuryLite one either for that matter.
I happen to have several S2S Ultrasil stuff sacks and no I would not use those outside the pack, matter of fact you need to be carefull with them INSIDE the pack.
(as a reminder Rick is aiming for a 15oz or so pack (frame and bags) and that is why neither Granite Gear nor Kifaru are discussed here...)

Might help to read how Bruce Warren (LuxuryLite) explains the difference between his pack and the Molle frame :
The StackPack is the only ultralight (2.25lbs) external frame backpack on the market. It is not designed to replace the classic external frame load hauler... the 10lb military MOLLE is great for that (scroll to the bottom of this page). The StackPack mission is carrying 30 lbs for ultralight hiking on overnight trips

The point here is that Bruce is not saying "my pack works because it is a modular pack like the Molle" rather (from other comments) because the way he designed his frame and his pockets.

Edited by Franco on 03/12/2014 00:28:26 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Daryl on 03/11/2014 23:09:37 MDT Print View

Sounds like sincere appreciation from Daryl.

He's a good guy... well seems like a good guy from his posts. Never met him.

Nathan W
(werne1nm) - M

Locale: Michigan
Kelty on 03/12/2014 06:12:59 MDT Print View

Kelty just came out with a new "modular" pack

Pk50

Worth a look

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Kelty on 03/12/2014 07:13:25 MDT Print View

That Kelty will be too heavy for the OP. Kelty tried the modular thing before with the Satori series back in the late '90s/ early aughts.

Joe Cameron
(DocOnes6005) - M

Locale: Southeast U.S.
Re: Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this? on 03/12/2014 09:21:13 MDT Print View

I haven't used the MOLLE-USGI medium (external) frame rucksack since initial training. In fact, in 3 tours overseas, I've never seen anyone use it for missions. It sucks for comfort, speed, and mobility. By MOLLE, I meant, more specifically the PALS webbing that is used for attachment of components, since that is one of the problems he specifically mentioned. Most people don't know what 'PALS' means and generally think 'molle' is referring to the webbing (which it doesn't), as you pointed out.

Although, I felt like his 'floating daisy chain' idea would work, I figured it could only be for larger bags. If you had lot of little bags like a ditty bag (personal hygiene), stove bag, cooking utensils, fishing kit (since he canoes, I assume he fishes), etc. you would have to have a different system, like PALS.
I had read the StackPack website. I didn't comment on it because I don't have experience with it. It seems like a generally good idea, but didn't seem to fit Rick's wants. That is why the discussion seemed to continue, right?

I am quite aware that the Kifaru & Granite Gear system are heavy, I carried them. It seems that Rick is willing to make, and be creative with the design of a system. Rick also uses the term 'framesheet' and none of his concepts included an external frame. Which is why I mentioned Kifaru.

I think you are caught up on the idea that I basically said you were wrong and didn't try to look the thoughts I was trying to portray. I, in no way, meant to be offensive. I just feel that Rick's idea could easily work and didn't want him discouraged.
The Kifaru AG Platform Frame And Suspension
http://store.kifaru.net/ag-platform-frame-and-suspension-p134.aspx
has a framesheet that I think (once removed from the heavy cordura) would only weigh in around 8-9 oz. It is also a full length, comfortable and load transferring, which the cut away camelbak is not. You might, now, be able to see how you could swap the cordura for cuben, the nylon webbing for grosgrain, and replace the waist and shoulder straps with mess to get a full attachment system for under 13-15 oz (that was my estimate). That is why I absolutely felt that their system should be discussed. Exact weights of Kifaru's components are unknown, since I couldn't find them online. The weight of that framesheet is only a guess (based on personal handling of it) on my part, but that is why I threw the idea out there.