Long Trail Thru Hike Gear List (heavy) needs to be updated for PCT Thru (light!)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Devin Karch
(Darwin13)

Locale: NYC
Long Trail Thru Hike Gear List (heavy) needs to be updated for PCT Thru (light!) on 03/05/2014 17:55:44 MST Print View

My friend Thru Hiked the Long Trail with this gear list. Now he is going to THRU hike the PCT this April. How would you lighten the load?
feel free to leave comments on the other site if you want.

http://thetraillives.com/2014/03/06/long-trail-thru-hike-the-gear/

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Not bad actually on 03/05/2014 20:14:39 MST Print View

Not a bad list actually. The pack, shelter, and quilt look good. We could quibble about specifics but all three are proven designs that are reasonably light.

I would consider hiking in lighter trail runners. I like that a lot better then boots, they wear out faster though so he needs to remember that.

The cook system looks heavy but its sounds like he's aware he could leave some stuff behind.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Where is the PCT list? on 03/06/2014 09:58:40 MST Print View

The intro paragraph says "My pack weight was pretty heavy and I have since updated my entire gear list for my upcoming PCT Thru Hike!"

But the heavy list is what's given.

Since this person has already updated their entire gear list, what's the point of reviewing the older, heavier one??

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding here, but if so, perhaps others are too.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re: Where is the PCT list? on 03/06/2014 17:58:45 MST Print View

This list is what not to bring.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Where is the PCT list? on 03/06/2014 21:19:01 MST Print View

http://thetraillives.com/2014/02/11/pacific-crest-trail-thru-hike-mexico-to-canada-gear-list-socal/

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re: Re: Where is the PCT list? on 03/06/2014 21:49:25 MST Print View

Nice list.

Grab a knife or multi tool, very handy to cut line, kitchen work etc. A knife in the wilderness is crucial.

I wouldn't bring the polycro since you have a sil bivy. If it was acuben bivy then I would keep it.

AJ Groff
(AJGroff)

Locale: Midwest
Cutting back on 03/07/2014 20:14:56 MST Print View

I have a dryducks pancho and cut .2 oz by tearing off the attached storage sack that has a giant cordlock and replacing it with a small cuben ditty. Also 2 oz of dr. broneers seams like a lot. Im just taking .5 oz in a dropper bottle on the PCT.