Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Overboots as Mukluks: Basecamp Footwear for Ski Mountaineers
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Overboots as Mukluks: Basecamp Footwear for Ski Mountaineers on 03/04/2014 22:19:26 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Overboots as Mukluks: Basecamp Footwear for Ski Mountaineers

Chad Lorenz
(ChadL) - MLife

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho
ski bootie systems on 03/04/2014 22:51:24 MST Print View

Similar to what I just used in the Arizona/Bailey Creek drainages for the last 12 nights with a NOLS group. Warm temps this time around, But a synthetic overbootie on top of the intuition liner finished off with the overbootie is my go-to. This system has worked for me on courses with lots of in-camp time down to -30F.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Basecamp Footwear Option on 03/05/2014 04:22:42 MST Print View

Have used this combination of Felt Pac Boot Liner and Totes Over Boots here in Michigan for extended XC/Snowshoeing winter trips many times with great success. Packs easily and most of all keep the feet warm and dry. (Note: Have a higher version of the Totes that are shown.)

pac

Totes

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Overboots as Mukluks: Basecamp Footwear for Ski Mountaineers on 03/05/2014 08:55:37 MST Print View

"1. Insulation is less resistant to moisture degradation;"

Sorry, shouldn't that read "more resistant?"

I. Chhina
(ichhina) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound, WA
What about using 40 Below's Light Energy Shorty model instead? on 03/05/2014 11:08:24 MST Print View

Ryan:

What do you think about 40 Below's Light Energy Shorty model? Cuts the weight by a third, and if your ski pants have integrated gaiter bottoms (as many do), even deep snow wouldn't get in. Having the full gaiter in the boots seems like overkill on a ski tour.

Also thought about just using a small trash kitchen bag and a rubber band over my ski liner boots, combined with microspikes for traction. Bag will get a little chewed up on a ski tour, so easy to just bring a few.

R B Rhinesmith
(rhinebr) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mts
Forty Below Fresh Track-Ski Boot Overboots? on 03/05/2014 13:38:21 MST Print View

While the the Forty Below Fresh Track Overboots (24 oz for Medium) weigh more than the Forty Below Light Energy TR boots (16 oz for Large), there is a dual function for the Fresh Track Overboots since they are compatible for ski boots (even with Dynafit bindings http://www.wildsnow.com/3743/ski-boot-overboots/) and can be used as a camp boot as described in the article. The product line for Forty Below provides many options. Thanks for sharing this insight.

Historically, I have typically used my Feather Friends Down Booties inside my double mountaineering boot shells (La Sportiva - Spantiks) or ski-mountaineering boot shells (Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain). It allows my boot liners to start drying, gets me into some comfy boots and maintain excellent traction around camp. When using this system with my mountaineering boot shells, I typically leave my gaiters on to minimize the amount of snow from entering the boot and saturating my down booties.

Thanks for getting me rethink and experiment with different systems.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Emergency boots for the car on 03/05/2014 19:55:17 MST Print View

In my car I carry NEOS overshoes with feltpack liners, good CFC insole and a pair of light neoprene diver's socks (the VBL) for winter driving. This is similar to Ken Larson's setup.

If I need them I'll be VERY glad I took 'em.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Mukluks on 03/06/2014 10:59:04 MST Print View

Good article and idea on the ski boot liner mukluks, Ryan.

If weight isn't as much of a factor, such as when using a pulk, more durable but bulkier and heavier systems can be used. (As others have described already.) Here's what I've used in colder weather when snowshoeing. It's what I plan to use when skiing also, as both my camp footwear and when I need to switch to snowhoes due to a terrain-skiing ability mismatch. :)

http://bushcraftscience.blogspot.com/2010/12/footwear-for-really-cold-weather.html

Edited by AndyF on 03/06/2014 11:02:50 MST.