Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Pattern for MYOG Hip Belt Pocket/Pouch?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick .
(overheadview) - F

Locale: NYC
Re: Magnets and Flaps. on 03/06/2014 12:31:42 MST Print View

Delmar, I hear you on the checking compass more than normal (though I think it's a bit less for me!) I got one of these to try, REI had it for less than $1 tossed onto another order.

amazon link for first one I saw, there are plenty. REI looks to be out. http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Pin-On-Ball-Compass/dp/B00DFZYU62/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394133415&sr=8-3&keywords=ball+compass

It is NOT for orienteering! Orienteering happens with a Suunto kept with the maps. I clipped it to a shoulder strap, to be able to glance down when trail turns etc, and I update my mental direction. Seems reasonably usable, just walking around a few mins. I'll keep an eye on it the first few trips to make sure it consistently points correctly.

Having your orientation at all times helps more than just staying un-lost, I will often make a mental note for the next leg, like: the trail will turn s-sw, 1/2mi after that we need to keep eyes peeled for water, (and estimating moving time). Something to occupy the brain and another data point for keeping located.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Pattern for MYOG Hip Belt Pocket/Pouch on 03/06/2014 18:43:44 MST Print View

Made these for myself today. Put together a 'how I did it' for anyone interested. (Pattern is at bottom of PDF)

belt pouch -front view

belt pouch - rear view

Edited by Lancem on 03/06/2014 19:38:31 MST.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re Tiny Trail Compass on 03/06/2014 19:53:35 MST Print View

chest compass

Rick and Delmar, similar to the pin-on compass, I use this clip-on to keep oriented on trails (again, NOT for orienteering). I put it on the tail of my chest strap, so it's always handy and easy to read. The Amazon link below has them at 12 for $10.26, meaning if they develop a leak, etc, they are cheap and easy to replace. I can also hand them out to young hikers when we take kids from our church hiking. No declination adjustment, but what can you expect for under a dollar?! To make sure it doesn't come off unexpectedly, I put a drop of quick glue on the clip.

http://www.amazon.com/221C1-Clip-Watch-Band-Compass/dp/B00313Q51Q/ref=pd_sim_hi_15?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VZ0WV3QXDHV43XE5C7M

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: Pattern for MYOG Hip Belt Pocket/Pouch? on 03/06/2014 19:57:30 MST Print View

Delmar, the whole sewing thing, along with pattern making, is a lot easier if you were brought up by a mom and grandma who were professional "sewists", or tailors, as we call them! Before I hit my teenage years, my mom refused to make me any more packs, bags, etc, and made me sew my own. A belt pocket is pretty easy, depending on what you want. Shoot me a PM with size, attachment, etc, and I can either make the pocket, or make a pattern for you.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Pattern for MYOG Hip Belt Pocket/Pouch on 03/06/2014 20:13:58 MST Print View

Lance's pattern has possibilities. I recommend that you scale up the pattern to be 100% size. That would be tricky for those whose printer prints only on letter size paper.

--B.G.--

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Re: Re: Pattern for MYOG Hip Belt Pocket/Pouch on 03/06/2014 20:49:11 MST Print View

I like Lance's pattern especially because it makes the pocket from a single piece of material, which saves a lot of piecing and sewing. The only change I'd make is to add maybe 1.5" to the top, to make a fold-over cover for the zipper. That would do two things: protect the pocket from rain (just a bit!) and give a little more support to the ends of the zipper. I might also sew on some velcro hook under the elastic, and hand stitch velcro loop patches on the hip belt to keep the pocket from sliding or rolling under with movement.

Have you seen McHale's large hip belt pockets? The pack end is attache by a bungie, which allows you to pull it out away from the belt to more easily see what's in it. Very clever! Plus it's big enough to hold a Tom Harrison or other map, plus a Suunto.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Lance Rocks. on 03/06/2014 21:36:32 MST Print View

Lance, you rock. Thank you very much.

EDIT: Just read it over, very excellent and detailed instruction. This would also allow me to have a "fanny pack" for no extra weight. Just take it off the hip belt and thread it on my pants belt, for short hikes away from camp.

Ha, for a GG Vapor Trail I see! I need mine for a GG Crown, which is sorta kinda the progeny of the Vapor Trail.

Edited by Bolster on 03/06/2014 21:46:18 MST.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
sweeeeet on 03/07/2014 08:50:52 MST Print View

Yay Lance! That is perfect! I'm going to be making a pack for my fiance and another one for myself in the coming weeks. Hers will be made using X-Pac VX21 and mine will be VX07.

Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Pattern for MYOG Hip Belt Pocket/Pouch - Modification on 03/07/2014 14:26:21 MST Print View

I retrofitted another loop for an additional attachment point. I think Stephen's suggestion to use Velcro would also work. Pouch weighs 25 grams as shown.

belt pouch attachment loop

belt pouch bungie

Also edited the 'how I did it' tutorial for typos and added a full size pattern to the end of the PDF file. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Lancem on 03/07/2014 14:48:50 MST.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
hip belt pockets on 03/07/2014 19:18:17 MST Print View

Delmar,
I have a couple small ones that I stripped off a Bean's AT 55 (2011 model) pack.
Rectangular shape with horizontal top zips. You could have them free.

But am not sure how you would sew them to the belt. Am not familiar with your pack and belt, though.

Anyway, if you want them, PM me. But you must furnish an email address for reply in the PM, as BPL has not been able to figure out why my PM only works in receive mode.

Be Well,
Sam

Cameron Wilson
(CJW)
Re: hip belt pockets on 03/08/2014 07:52:03 MST Print View

I picked up a couple waist packs at wally world last night in the camping section that measure 5.5x8x3. They cost $6 each. I'm going to see if I can attach one to the front of my vapor trail so I have an exterior pocket the other to the waist belt. It might be a bit large for the waist belt but for $6 I'm willing to give it a shot. They're a little heavy as is but once I get the belt and buckle off of them they should be pretty reasonable.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Re: hip belt pockets on 03/08/2014 10:40:04 MST Print View

Generous offer, Sam, thank you. Let me see where my own ham-handed attempts at MYOG turn out...if I'm not capable, I may have to shoot you an email for a bailout. Thanks!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Pattern for MYOG Hip Belt Pocket/Pouch - Modification on 03/08/2014 16:20:26 MST Print View

I sewed mine without the last modification, the extra attachment points. I used spinnaker fabric since that is fairly waterproof, and the color goes with my current backpacks. You end up with a lot of weight in the heavy elastic loops on the back. I went with the strongest elastic that I could find since I did not want this thing flopping around on the hip belt.

Weight 0.55 ounces.

--B.G.--

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Photos Bob! on 03/08/2014 19:42:07 MST Print View

Trying to remember Bob, aren't you the guy who (1) does post grammar and spelling corrections but (2) does not post photos? If I'm wrong, post a photo of your creation, it sounds nifty. If I'm right, here's something you might find interesting: "mispellling."