Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
HELP HELP HELP!!!
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: help help help on 03/04/2014 11:14:55 MST Print View

SMD sells optional poles for their tents. $14/ea--looks like you'll need 2. Link to the Skyscape Scout is here:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html

A 20 (F) degree bag or quilt is about as close to do-everything as you'll get--as Roger said, a true winter bag will be far too warm in the summer. Quilt-style gives you the option of more ventilation in warmer temps, a little less weight for the warmth, maybe a little less money for equivalent quality. I like quilts--some find them fiddly.

Although I don't own one, Enlightened Equipment quilts have a great reputation around here for warmth/weight/quality at a very reasonable cost. The owner is BPL member, and sometimes comments in the forums. Link to their site:

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: help help help on 03/04/2014 13:32:06 MST Print View

> best WEIGHT/SIZE/WARMTH for PRICE ratio.

This is a MYTH. There is no such thing. IT ALL DEPENDS.

Cheers

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
HELP HELP HELP! on 03/04/2014 15:32:15 MST Print View

Reading it again I see that the heating element is not the plug-in coiled type I had in mind...
There are reports of problems with the Jetboil Ti version but have not seen any problem with the Al one.
A mate has one works well.
Multi fuel stoves when used with multi fuels (as in not gas canisters only) need maintenance and a bit (or a lot) of practice to be used effectively.
Possibly gas canisters (that Jet Boil) or an alcohol kit (such as a Caldera cone kit) will be easier to use,
Alcohol is available prom pharmacies and or hardware stores or supermarkets (Alcohol de quemar' and 'metillico)
Some is colored blue (that is part of the denatured bit)

You cannot download directly from a digital camera to a flash drive. You need a computer or tablet (most will need some extra stuff like a card reader added to it) or a Portable Storage Device like this one :
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Foci-PST-251-Picture-Storage/dp/B00378KLFQ
All need batteries .
Alternatively get another few SD cards and a Flash Drive and use someone else computer to download via USB and out to your Flash Drive (some Internet Cafe will let you do that others will not )

As pointed out there is no such thing as a 4 season sleeping bag but for say 32f and up you could get an SB/quilt rated for that and layer up if fully sealed up and cold and open up when warmer.
The Klymit is meant to work with SBs not quilts but I doubt that it will do at lower temps than around 50f anyway.

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
Re: HELP HELP HELP! on 03/04/2014 15:45:52 MST Print View

"Multi fuel stoves when used with multi fuels (as in not gas canisters only) need maintenance and a bit (or a lot) of practice to be used effectively."

What he said.

The very first time i used a Whisperlite, I overflowed the primer pan, lit the picnic table on fire and melted the storage bag. Long time ago, but i still remember it quite vividly.

So whatever you decide on for any of your gear, practice with it first in a safe environment. It's NOT foolish to camp in your own back yard with new gear for a few nights at least. If anything fails, goes wrong, you forget some critical item, or just to tune in your system, you'll only be a few footsteps away from solving any problems.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: HELP HELP HELP! on 03/04/2014 15:53:08 MST Print View

"The very first time i used a Whisperlite, I overflowed the primer pan, lit the picnic table on fire and melted the storage bag. Long time ago, but i still remember it quite vividly."

Glenn, how long did it take for your eyebrows to grow back?

It used to be that you could always identify the owner of an MSR white gas stove, because they would not have any hair on the back of the right hand.

--B.G.--

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
Re: Re: Re: HELP HELP HELP! on 03/04/2014 17:28:32 MST Print View

Yeh, I had my kids with and they were young and impressionable back then, it left an impression alright!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Iodine on 03/04/2014 19:48:14 MST Print View

>"Iodine tablets (cause I can't find any with taste remover incorporated)."

And you won't. Because if the taste remover was in the iodine tablet, the iodine wouldn't work as a disinfectant.

Here's the two part system:

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-9586-Drinking-Water-Treatment/dp/B000FAPJTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393986251&sr=8-1&keywords=iodine+treatment+coghlan%27s

You add the iodine until the desired contact time is reached (longer in cold water). Then (and only then) you add the taste remover.

Increasingly, I've been using a UV Steri-pen, but it does take lithium batteries which can be hard to find and you'll be drinking a LOT of water in the hotter areas.

Whether my primary treatment is a filter or UV, I take iodine as a back-up. And often as a my only treatment option.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re: Re: help help help on 03/05/2014 01:51:41 MST Print View

"> best WEIGHT/SIZE/WARMTH for PRICE ratio.

This is a MYTH. There is no such thing. IT ALL DEPENDS.

Cheers"

Rodger, are you saying that someone who car camps out of their Chevy suburban will have a different idea of the value of a sleeping bag compared to record setter named ulei steck? Sp?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: help help help on 03/05/2014 02:10:35 MST Print View

> are you saying that someone who car camps out of their Chevy suburban will have a
> different idea of the value of a sleeping bag compared to record setter named uli
> steck?

You know, it is just possible that this could be so ...
:-)

Cheers

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: HELP HELP HELP on 03/05/2014 08:36:54 MST Print View

Again...+1 on reading Andrew Skurka's book, just to give you an idea about gear. The reading you have done is excellent in terms of how to travel and where...but if you are NOT going to do mostly hostels then you do need more of an education about gear. Not a lot...but some. You'll figure a lot of it out on the road, and the great thing about these kinds of adventures is learning as you go and being able to adapt to what you find.

However...

If you are seriously considering spending most of your time in a tent and cooking your own food, you NEED some practice. It's one thing to rely on hostels and fellow travelers for education...but if you are on your own in a tent you don't want that to be your education.

So. Any recommendations you get here should NOT substitute for your learning at least a little about how to use it...even if that means a backyard camp out. That was a great suggestion.

Bag: if you are going to be sleeping in hostels at all I would recommend getting a bag and not a quilt. That way you can sleep just about anywhere and not have to worry about sheets and whatever slept in the bed before you. I would go with a 15 degree bag...but here the cheaper you go the heavier and bulkier it will be. Get one with a zipper that goes most of the way down, so when it's hot you can just open it up and drape it over you, kick legs out, or just sleep on top of it.

Tent: excellent idea for the SMD trekker. Just buy a pole from them. The point of these shelters is that you CAN use trekking poles (which is what most of us do), but there are plenty of people who don't use them, so most shelters can be purchased with poles. So...just order a pole with the tent.

As for the stove...if you had a ton of experience I'd recommend the whisperlite international which will literally burn anything. BUT...not a good idea for someone inexperienced. Others may correct me - please! - but when I was in Central and South America I found canisters to be rather plentiful. The easiest stove to use are the canister ones - say, the MSR Pocket Rocket ($35). Not the best stove in the world, but cheap and it works. Then get a cheap aluminum pot to go with it. Something I like the Jetboil can only boil water, and on your travels you'll find dehydrate foods difficult to obtain. You'll need to do some cooking, simmering, etc. so avoid the Jetboil.

Don't worry about an external hard drive - way too easy to lose or damage in your travels. Get a cloud account somewhere (Dropbox, shutterfly, something similar) and just upload in Internet caf├ęs when you can. Buy a 16GB SD card for your camera and just upload whenever you can.

As for socks...darned tough are great socks for hiking; I use balega and thorlos for running.

No idea on a cable lock. Look at travel stores online??

Down puffies can be found cheaply all over the place. Not sure where you live, but Costco has a great one for $50. Or you can wait until you need it and pick it up locally.

Hope that helps....

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
cable locks on 03/06/2014 14:56:16 MST Print View

Pacsafe makes cable locks and my favorite although they are heavy is they make cable nets to put backpacks in that are lockable. Looks like they are out of stock of the cables but you might find a used one on ebay. And all of the above is TSA approved and last forever. I've used mine for ten years.

acsafe.com/wrapsafe-adjustable-cable-lock

http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-85l-backpack-protector

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: HELP HELP HELP!!! on 03/07/2014 07:22:14 MST Print View

Here is a series of articles that include gear lists and how they felt about their gear performance Global Test Main Page