Backpacking Light Stealth NANO Ultralight Backpacking Tarp
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Gilmore
(chrisjgilmore) - F - MLife

Locale: New Almaden
Backpacking Light Stealth NANO Ultralight Backpacking Tarp on 03/02/2014 21:40:58 MST Print View

Does anyone know of a good substitute for the Backpacking Light Stealth NANO Ultralight Backpacking Tarp? I've posted in a couple of previous threads where I'm looking for a 5 oz Tarp. I found a great Bug shelter for underneath it Bear Paw Wilderness Minimalist Bivy @ 7.5 oz. for a total shelter weight about of about 15 oz once I add stakes and a pole or two.

Any ideas?

Christopher Gilmore

Backpacking Light Stealth NANO Ultralight Backpacking Tarp on 03/03/2014 22:03:34 MST Print View

Bump!

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Locale: PacNW
Re: Backpacking Light Stealth NANO Ultralight Backpacking Tarp on 03/03/2014 22:46:24 MST Print View

MLD Grace Solo. Remove linelocs, under 5 oz.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=132

Christopher Gilmore

Backpacking Light Stealth NANO Ultralight Backpacking Tarp on 03/03/2014 23:07:12 MST Print View

Thanks Matt i'm looking in to it right now.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Hexamid Solo or Pocket Tarp on 03/04/2014 08:25:36 MST Print View

the beak added to the solo pushes it to 5.5 oz.

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Re: Hexamid Solo or Pocket Tarp on 03/04/2014 09:26:15 MST Print View

I wouldn't recommend a hexamid with a bivy. Granted I used that setup for two years but it is less then ideal due to the low head height of the hexamid when the bivy needed to be strung up. A-frame tarp is the way to go for bivy use.

Christopher Gilmore

Hexamid Solo or Pocket Tarp on 03/04/2014 10:51:26 MST Print View

I have looked at the Hexamid tarps but their pitch type is limited to 1 and I want something that is a bit more flexible (although the price is very attractive). I'm actually looking at Zpacks 8.5 x 8.5 flat tarps. This is square and based on my reading that gives you the max number of possibilities for different pitch types.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
CG

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Re: Hexamid Solo or Pocket Tarp on 03/04/2014 19:58:28 MST Print View

Since nobody else is really jumping out to help here, I'll throw in my pennies on flat vs. a cat tarp. I always have a bivy and a tarp on me. I sleep out ~60 nights a year. Of those nights I'll typically only set up the tarp 3-5 times and that's to cover me from rain. So from my perspective, I don't need a tarp that's uber flexible in pitching options, as I just need something with decent coverage and in an a-frame configuration since that works best with my bivies. I choose cat cuts because they're simple to set up and take minimal tweaking to pitch tight. I also always sleep by myself under it though so if you're sharing the space, a bigger flat tarp may be a good option for you.

My tarps are like rain gear for me. Rarely used so my requirements are pretty sparse; be simple, light, and keep me dry.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re: Hexamid Solo or Pocket Tarp on 03/04/2014 21:29:13 MST Print View

I would rather get a rectangle tarp not square. 9.5 x 8 or 8.5.

I'm a fan of the hexamid though. Just too easy and good coverage and side entry. I don't have or need a break, pitch low and use a jacket to block spray.

Christopher Gilmore

Hexamid Solo or Pocket Tarp on 03/05/2014 10:23:57 MST Print View

Micheal,
Why would you choose a rectangle tarp vs. a square or Hexamid? It seems like flexibility is a good thing given the many different kinds of scenarios you can run into.... I'm highly interested in your experience/logic on this.

Thanks
CG

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re: Hexamid Solo or Pocket Tarp on 03/05/2014 13:06:56 MST Print View

Im not an expert. It seems like a better use of material to use a rectangle, because we are as humans Not square. When set up as a A frame I would rather take a foot off the width and add to the length.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Hexamid Solo or Pocket Tarp on 03/05/2014 13:49:27 MST Print View

Setting up the tarp reduces the width, invariably, so a square is good.

Oware's square tarps are the most versatile I've seen. Though anybody's would be just as good, with appropriate use of tie-outs.

Christopher Gilmore

Hexamid Solo or Pocket Tarp on 03/05/2014 23:40:37 MST Print View

OK so I have to now ask the question about how hard is it to make a cuben fiber tarp and where would be the best place to buy the materials?