Forum Index » GEAR » Looking for a new winter jacket

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Looking for a new winter jacket on 03/02/2014 10:46:27 MST Print View

I think I am ready to get a new winter coat and am wondering what people would suggest. I am tall/big and would need an XLT/XXL. I was thinking of something around the warmth of a Montebll Alpine Light. This also would be my everyday jacket that I would use on the bus, in my car and walking around in addition to hiking/camping. I have a cap of around $200. What should I be looking at? Thanks.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Looking for a new winter jacket on 03/02/2014 10:47:30 MST Print View

Do you have a weight restriction Brett? What's your expected temperature usage?

Edited by stephenm on 03/02/2014 10:48:54 MST.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

clarifying on 03/02/2014 11:17:43 MST Print View

Not really on the weight but would like to keep it in the light category is possible, doesn't have to be ultralight. And the winters around here only get down to about -10F usually and I can always layer an R2 underneath of it.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: clarifying on 03/02/2014 11:27:48 MST Print View

Much similar conditions to what I see in Central Michigan.

For around town use in 20f to -10f I use a Parka with 12oz of down and that keeps me warm enough.

Edited by stephenm on 03/02/2014 11:31:22 MST.

hwc 1954
(wcollings) - M
Zeus or down sweater on 03/02/2014 11:59:54 MST Print View

If I had to pick one down jacket for everything in New England, it would probably be my Marmot Zeus or a similar Patagonia Down Sweater. Heavy enough for an around town car jacket down to 20 degrees F, but light enough to be perfectly comfortable up to perhaps 35 to 40 degrees. Packs into its own pocket, not as small as an ultralight, but small enough to put in a backpack. And, looks better for around town than the ultralight hoodies. Weighs about 14 ounces with 20 denier non-shiny polyester ripstop.

I think the Zeus is probably in the 4 ounces of down range, so something like that or the Montbell seems sensible.

I also have super warm baffled down jacket with 10 ounces of 800 fill down. That's fantastic on very cold winter days 0f to 10f, but too much jacket most of the time.

REI has them on sale for $120. Sierra Trading Post has a couple of bright colors for $92 with their e-mail discount codes.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

thnaks on 03/03/2014 17:05:18 MST Print View

Thanks, I liked the Zeus at the local store but they did not have an XXL and the XL barely fit. Will try on the down sweater if they have one.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
First Ascent on 03/03/2014 17:36:27 MST Print View

First Ascent/Eddie Bauer makes their Downlight parka in a tall option. It's similar or a bit less warm than the MB Alpine Light and the usually have great end of season sales.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: First Ascent on 03/03/2014 17:51:07 MST Print View

I second First Ascent. I'm a Large/Tall and have many FA garments, including the down jacket. Their talls really are tall (not necessarily true of their Eddie Bauer street clothes), the quality is good, the weight is reasonable, and the price is okay as long as you don't do something silly like paying the tag price. Wait a week or three and you can almost always find stuff 25% off, sometimes a lot more. I'm a happy customer.

hwc 1954
(wcollings) - M
Zeus XXL on 03/03/2014 22:27:55 MST Print View

>> Thanks, I liked the Zeus at the local store but they did not have an XXL and the XL barely fit. Will try on the down sweater if they have one.

REI has XXL on sale for $120 in three colors: bright navy (blue), cinder (gray), and methyl blue (aqua).

Sierra Trading Post has XXL's in neon green and bright yellow. $130 and I think there's a 35% off coupon from their mailing list.

I got mine at TJMaxx for $99. They have gotten a couple of colors each year recently. Heck of a nice lightweight down jacket for $99...

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

price on 03/04/2014 07:34:34 MST Print View

There are also some decently priced ones on eBay. Looking only to spend around $100 if I can but I think there is a selection out there for that price. My TJ Maxx never gets anything good in but I will take a look again. Thanks.

The only way I would get a First Ascent piece is if it was about half price since I don't see their quality to be much better than Marmot.

Edited by bpeugh on 03/04/2014 07:35:58 MST.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: price on 03/04/2014 20:23:30 MST Print View

"The only way I would get a First Ascent piece is if it was about half price since I don't see their quality to be much better than Marmot."

The OP asked about tall sizes, which eliminates Marmot and darn near every other brand. That said, it's usually possible to find First Ascent stuff at 40% off if you're willing to wait and watch.