Forum Index » SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » 1 oz, Durable* Cook kit

Display Avatars Sort By:
todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Inner Ring on 02/27/2014 11:44:19 MST Print View

Thanks for the tip, D S, on the ring removal - worked like a charm and I don't know why I didn't think of it. It has been the reason I haven't taken the BD can on a trip! Duh.

I had to try my version of this kit (SORRY - I haven't weighed it!!!!) :(
I use the BD can w/ 10oz 62deg water, Ti-wing Esbit stove, tealight (standard) w/denatured alc., roasting pan windscreen w/holes punched along the bottom, foil lid.

This thing can boil (full rolling boil) 9-10oz every time (yes, controlled environment, but I wouldn't hesitate to do this in the field since I don't need rolling boils to rehydrate my meals - HOT water will do) on just over 1/2 (1/4 ounce-ish) of a tealight of alcohol.

What will make me try this in the field is that after using the ring removal tip from D S, the plastic lid still fits :)

Edited by funnymoney on 02/27/2014 11:45:02 MST.

D S
(smoke) - F
More info on 02/27/2014 12:32:37 MST Print View

On the BDA can - if you want a metal lid, the safety cut lid off a fruit can will fit like a glove. My BDA can uses the fruit can lid with a spectra loop and vent hole, together with the plastic lid that has the center cut out for holding it all together.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: More info on 02/27/2014 12:40:47 MST Print View

Cool. What kind of fruit can?

D S
(smoke) - F
Take your BDA can with you - on 02/27/2014 12:44:15 MST Print View

I used a generic store brand pineapple chunks can. Just take your BDA can to the store and size it up. I'm pretty sure the fruit cocktail can was the same size.

Added bonus - you can get one lid off the top and another off the bottom.

Edited by smoke on 02/27/2014 12:46:52 MST.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Japanese bottle cans on 02/27/2014 21:41:46 MST Print View

I just picked up a couple of Aluminium (I think) screw capped bottles from a nearby convenience store. Both are around the 400gram mark. One of them, a black coffee, has a plastic/paper label which I've taken off, so its already nice and shiny. I finished the other, a fizzy fruit juice and it definitely seems pretty light. I'll weight them both soon and figure out the volume. I think the gauge of the metal in them is a little stronger than normal Australian soft drink (eg coke) cans, but not overly so, plus the cone head does seem to make them quite rigid and of course I'm not cutting that off, so the integrity is quite good. They would definitely last a long time kept in a shoulder bottle pocket.

I'll have to pick up some Esbit too from the local outdoor store to try, only brought a gas stove with me to Japan.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: Japanese bottle cans on 02/27/2014 22:26:37 MST Print View

Just weighed these, details in this thread (Matt's original thread with the concept) so that I don't cause too much thread drift, sorry!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process#forumtop

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Aluminum and steel Diamond Nut cans on 02/27/2014 22:30:19 MST Print View

"Which ones are made of aluminum?"

"Every one of the Blue Diamond Almonds cans that I looked at today at the store.

--B.G.--"

This must vary by region, then. I buy lots of these cans to snack on at work.

http://www.bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navId=31

The can is thin-walled, a gold-ish color on the outside and grey on the inside, and a magnet sticks to it great.

Andy
-----------------------------------

Hey Andy, that's interesting. Didn't think they would have 2 packaging companies using different cans. Wonder where Bob lives that he found the aluminum cans. I'll check the local stores to see what I find. Thanks for posting your findings.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Aluminum and steel Diamond Nut cans on 02/27/2014 22:41:37 MST Print View

"Didn't think they would have 2 packaging companies using different cans."

Not only that, but there were no 10-ounce cans. All I found were 9 ounces. Blue Diamond does not want to make it seem like they are jacking their prices up. Instead, they keep the price the same and reduce the can size.

--B.G.--

Andrew Stow
(AndyS) - F - MLife

Locale: Midwest USA
Re: Re: Aluminum and steel Diamond Nut cans on 02/28/2014 09:29:46 MST Print View

"Not only that, but there were no 10-ounce cans. All I found were 9 ounces."

I can only find the ones I want (salt 'n vinegar) in 6 oz cans. I don't think I've seen even the more common smokehouse flavor in bigger cans. The next size up is a 1 lb bag.