Forum Index » GEAR » Hammock camping with dog?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Pagnutti
(lowflyinyj) - F
Hammock camping with dog? on 07/27/2007 19:15:48 MDT Print View

I've been hiking for years with our 60lb Lab and want to move from my MSR Trekker tent (fly only) to a Hennessey Hyperlight A-Sym. The only problem is that I want to keep him comfortable and out of the elements as well. I was thinking of a larger tarp and small pad to curl up on. Any suggestions would be great.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Tarp Tent / Hammock Bivy, etc on 07/27/2007 20:04:54 MDT Print View

Look at this link on Just Jeff's site: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

There are a few ideas on hammockforums.net, too.

Edited by funnymoney on 07/27/2007 20:05:33 MDT.

Lapsley Hope
(Laps) - M
doggie on 07/30/2007 06:49:54 MDT Print View

When I bought my Hennessy Hammock I did an "overnighter" in the backyard so I would be familar with the set up etc (I would strongly advise you do likewise before hitting the trail). At about 5:30 AM my wife let out the dogs and "River" the 100 lb German Shepherd didn't realize it was me in the cocoon hanging between the trees in the far part of the yard. He starting barking and barking....I called him and when he realized it was me he became overcome with doggie joy and nearly ripped me out of the hammock!
Anyhow I would suggest getting the optional large tarp, as I did, as it will offer plenty of cover for your dog underneath. Have a great time backpacking with your Lab.