Forum Index » GEAR » Mid layer down jacket for tall female

Display Avatars Sort By:
Lindsey Givens
(Linz82)
Mid layer down jacket for tall female on 02/21/2014 19:30:10 MST Print View

I'm having a hell of a time finding a down jacket that fits. I want something with about 4oz of quality 800ish down with a hood. I'm 6'-0" tall, 150 lbs, 34 inseam and muscular. My problem is I have to wear a large in women just to get the sleeves and shoulders to fit, but then I'm swimming in the rest if the jacket. I'm between an men's small and medium. Someone's men's small is still a little short in the sleeves, but medium is borderline To baggy.

I'm just looking for some general advice from those tall people with long inseams. Can you recommend a good Down jacket that has a nice long body and arms? Anyone have the Montbell ultralight down parka or smoke line parka?

I have the Rab neutrino In men's small and it fits great. It doesn't look like they have a lot if light weight mid layer options at Rab?

Thanks

hwc 1954
(wcollings) - M
Marmot Quasar Hoody on 02/21/2014 20:05:42 MST Print View

Try a Marmot Quasar Hoody. Meets all of your criteria. 900 fill down -- probably in the 3 ounce fill range. Pertex GL 10D shell. Stuffs into its own pocket for backpacking. It's a decidedly thin athletic cut so a men's medium might well fit you pretty well. Basically a RAB Continuum jacket with a hood. Marmot's claimed weight is all wrong. My men's medium weighs 310 grams or 10.8 ounces.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Mid layer down jacket on 02/21/2014 20:21:14 MST Print View

Lindsey, try MontBell. Both the EX Light and Plasma 1000 are unisex (though you may need to look for them under "Men's") and true to size for men - at least this 6-4, 200 lb guy. Very athletic fit. The two are quite similar; the Plasma is an ounce or so lighter and $70 more expensive. Both do their work as insulating layers very well.

Cheers, Richard

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Mid layer down jacket for tall female on 02/21/2014 20:41:51 MST Print View

Eddie Bauer makes their Downlight Hooded jackets in Tall sizes for both men and women. They have ~4oz 800FP down and 20d shell fabrics. Should be regularly on sale for under $100 in the coming months.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Uniqlo? on 02/21/2014 22:24:14 MST Print View

Your bargain option would be an ultralight Uniqlo, which has a definite vertical cut to it. The FP is not quite up to your standards tho, at (arguably) 700-740. These come on sale frequently at surprisingly low prices ($60-ish), so wouldn't make a big impression on your pocketbook to try one while you hunt for your ideal jacket.

Edited by Bolster on 02/21/2014 22:28:52 MST.

Lindsey Givens
(Linz82)
Montbell on 02/22/2014 00:02:31 MST Print View

Thanks for all the replies. So I'm kinda leaning toward the Montbell Frost Smoke Parka or the Montbell Ultra Light Down Parka. Does anyone have the ultra light down parka? Is this jacket warm enough to keep you warm at camp in the 20's? I run cold. The frost smoke parka is back ordered 3 months, ARG! I tried on a Outdoor Research filament jacket in medium and it fit good, but i don't think it could keep me warm enough, and the transcendent is a bit to heavy at 15.5 oz. :(

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: Montbell on 02/22/2014 00:22:10 MST Print View

For static use in temps in the 20's (F) you need to move up a class from the typical UL parka. 4oz of 900 fill minimum for a man. 5-7oz would be better for a woman. Your best bets are the Golite Bitteroot, MB Mirage, and the RAB Infinity.

hwc 1954
(wcollings) - M
20 degrees on 02/22/2014 01:14:45 MST Print View

I carry the Marmot Quasar as my winter rest-stop top layer. It's similar in weight to the Montbell Smoke. Probably 3 ounces of 900 fill down. I've worn it over a Capilene 4 baselayer stopped in 11 degree (F) temperatures. No problem at all, although I was not sitting for hours and hours.

Around camp at 20 degrees, moving around, cooking, setting up a shelter. No problem. Sitting for hours at a time? Probably need to layer it or get in a sleeping bag. If I were going to be standing around (not generating heat) for hours at a time at 20 degrees, I'd grab a warmer down jacket. Or, for max flexibilty, layer it with my Zeus jacket. That pair is VERY warm and the Zeus is big enough to layer over the trim cut Quasar.

These ultra light down hoodys are fantastic because they weigh so little and pack so small, that you can always carry them and have a very warm option for rest stops or for emergency use when you probably wouldn't need it otherwise. But, the tradeoff for being something that you carry and use all the time is that you are giving up the ultimate warmth of a heavy down parka. F

Edited by wcollings on 02/22/2014 01:19:46 MST.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Down on 02/22/2014 06:31:35 MST Print View

"Does anyone have the ultra light down parka? Is this jacket warm enough to keep you warm at camp in the 20's? I run cold. "
You won't find it near satisfactory. You might be happy to 40F around camp with the UL Down Inner.

MEC and Arcteryx make down jackets that have a longer/slim fit.
http://www.mec.ca/product/5023-363/mec-light-degree-hoodie-womens/?h=10+50093+50020+50122+50021&f=10+50021+50093+51000

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Womens&category=Insulated_Jackets&model=Cerium-LT-Hoody-W

As mentioned, First Ascent has "tall" options in their down garments. I haven't tried one but it looks promising. Consider their "Downlight" or "Downlight Linear" womens jackets in the "tall" version.

Edited by dandydan on 02/22/2014 06:32:53 MST.

Joshua A
(Aberrix) - M
First Ascent on 02/22/2014 07:08:23 MST Print View

I will echo the comments on Eddie Bauer / First Ascent. I'm 6'4" 190lbs and its really nice to see a manufacturer producing 'Tall' sizes. I own the downlight and the peak xv from FA both in Tall Large and they fit really well in all regards.

Jesse Anderson
(jeepin05) - F

Locale: Land of Enchantment
Re: First Ascent on 02/22/2014 07:46:24 MST Print View

I'll add to this as well, I have the hoodless Downlight jacket and love it. It has become my go to jacket on our cold days here in NM. Not the lightest, but as many has said, they can often be found for a great price, you can try them on in store to know if fit will be good, and EB's return policy is held in quite high regard. At 5'11" I'm not using the tall variant, but is sounds like that could be right up your alley.

Paul Hatfield
(clear_blue_skies) - F
Eddie Bauer Downlight jacket on 02/22/2014 10:49:13 MST Print View

Even though it's not the lightest option, I love my Eddie Bauer Downlight jacket (non-hooded)... but I could do with about 2" of less fabric in the waist and chest. If you have access to a Eddie Bauer store, you could see if a size that fit you in the shoulders, and then order the tall version if they don't have the tall version in-store.

There are so many down jacket options out there, there's got to be one that will fit you well.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Another Vote for First Ascent on 02/22/2014 11:28:56 MST Print View

I'm not sure that Montbell is going to work out well for you, even if you wait for the backordered Frost/Smoke -- MB makes things in Japanese sizes (a race not known for their 6ft tall women, LOL). I think you'd have the same ol' fit problems with any of the MB stuff (if sleeves long enough, the rest of jacket HUGE for you).

So I'm a +1 for a Women's Tall First Ascent for you. Get the puffier Downlight (rather than the MicroTherm, which wouldn't be warm enough). I run cold, too, and I find that my MH Ghost Whisperer just isn't enough in most conditions, because I run cold, but the Downlight is just right!

Lindsey Givens
(Linz82)
FIRST ASCENT DOWNLIGHT on 02/22/2014 14:50:32 MST Print View

I've researched the Eddie Bauer FIRST ASCENT DOWNLIGHT (hadn't even thought of Eddie Baur, thanks for that!)and I'm liking it. I was ready to purchase the jacket and EVERYWHERE, seriously everywhere is sold out of a small long! Bummer. I get so excited about new gear and so bummed when i can't have it now. haha! Not sure if i'll have to wait until next season or what.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: FIRST ASCENT DOWNLIGHT on 02/22/2014 17:25:37 MST Print View

Now that I reread your op Lindsey, not sure why you are looking for another down piece to keep you warm in the 20's when you just got a Neutrino, which is good down to ~15F.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Mid layer down jacket for tall female on 02/22/2014 17:27:43 MST Print View

Lindsey, the scene in your avatar looks a bit like Rae Lakes. Is it?

--B.G.--

Lindsey Givens
(Linz82)
Rab Jacket on 02/22/2014 20:46:06 MST Print View

(Now that I reread your op Lindsey, not sure why you are looking for another down piece to keep you warm in the 20's when you just got a Neutrino, which is good down to ~15F.)

I will use my Rab jacket in the winter months, mountaineering etc. But for 3 season wear when it will occasionally dip into the 20's in the Sierra's, I would burn up and don't want to carry something that heavy.

The Rab has 8 oz of fill, I'm looking for something more around 3.5 oz.

And yes, that is Rae Lakes! :)

Lindsey Givens
(Linz82)
Eddie Bauer Downlight on 02/22/2014 21:00:26 MST Print View

I've been reading reviews on the Eddie Bauer Downlight womens jacket. It sounds like there are a lot of complaints that the long is still really short and they run really small. Anyone own one that can comment to size?

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: Rab Jacket on 02/22/2014 21:45:45 MST Print View

Yes, but you are in kind of pickle here because a 3.5oz of 800FP down still won't be warm on its own for a female standing around at 25F even with base layer and 100wt fleece. It's gonna need a booster so plan to use the 3-season strategy of rain jacket and 20F sleeping bag as warmth boosters when the temps occasionally plunge below freezing.

Anyway as a point of reference, my wife's Womens RAB Infinity USA Small weighs 13.5oz with a little over 6oz of 850FP down. Torso length of 23.5" and sleeve length of 31.5"

Lindsey Givens
(Linz82)
Layering on 02/22/2014 23:14:47 MST Print View

Yea, if non active I would plan on layering. 250 smart wool base layer, down insulation and hard shell. I've used this layering system for awhile and it seems to work okay but my insulation layer isn't quite enough right now. It's an old synthetic down jacket at the end of its life. Hence the hunt for something a little beefier and in between my light weight and Rab jacket. I got the men's Rab jacket wit the 8oz fill. I kinda look like the Michelin man. Haha. I will have to check the specs again but I thought the jacket was over 20oz.