Forum Index » Photo Gallery » Aurora Borealis

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Bernard
(DispatchesfromtheNorth) - F - M

Locale: Lake Laberge
Aurora Borealis on 02/19/2014 23:19:23 MST Print View

I'm not exactly a photographer, but we've had some great aurora's here the last two nights. I've seen a lot of northern lights but tonight blew my mind...

Edited by DispatchesfromtheNorth on 02/19/2014 23:20:03 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Aurora Borealis on 02/19/2014 23:47:16 MST Print View

Very nice. It's been years since I've seen any that good. (And one of the times I did, was near there).

". . .The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge . . ."

-Robert Service

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Aurora Borealis on 02/20/2014 00:15:24 MST Print View

Oh. My. Gosh. Those are amazing. I was thrilled to see the aurora many years ago in Alaska in the summer, up around Admiralty Island, but they were tame compared to these.

Looking at this on my phone right now, can't wait to see them tomorrow on the full computer screen. Maybe someday I will get back up there to see more in person.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Aurora Borealis on 02/20/2014 07:11:26 MST Print View

Amazing is right! Thanks for posting.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Aurora Borealis on 02/20/2014 08:04:29 MST Print View

Awesome.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Aurora Borealis on 02/20/2014 09:04:38 MST Print View

Those are great pictures. It's been over a decade since I've seen them in upstate NY. Truly an experience I'll never forget.

The conditions were right for a great show here in Washington a couple months ago but sadly it was cloudy all week.

Maris L
(Ablaut) - F
Re: Aurora Borealis on 02/20/2014 10:59:55 MST Print View

Incredibly beautiful. Thanks for taking the time and sharing a few photos.

Matt Dirksen
(NamelessWay) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Re: Aurora Borealis on 02/21/2014 10:48:16 MST Print View

Breathtaking!

Thank you!

(I saw them only once about fifteen years ago, on a cool evening in Mt. Airy, Maryland, of all the places in the world to see them.)

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
Wow! on 02/21/2014 11:54:54 MST Print View

I am pretty sure you live in heaven.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Aurora Borealis on 02/21/2014 13:42:55 MST Print View

epic. wish i can experience even a fraction of that one day.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: "Aurora Borealis" on 02/22/2014 11:44:07 MST Print View

I was living in North Idaho and was working the swing shift at the sawmill and was driving home one night when I noticed a bright light to my left as traveled from west to east. At first I thought it was the moon rising until I realized that the moon doesn't rise out of the north. I pulled into an overlook and was treated with the best display of my life. I sat on the hood of the truck for about 45 minutes just watching them swirl above me.

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Locale: SouthEast
wow. on 03/04/2014 23:16:52 MST Print View

What is this/are these called? I personally have never seen anything like it before!

getup

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Aurora Borealis on 03/05/2014 11:29:51 MST Print View

Nice work!

The Northern Lights are fascinating, reminding us that we are on a ball of rock spinning in space. I've seen them maybe twice in Seattle over the years.

We took a sub-Polar flight to Europe in the winter of 1986 and saw the Northern Lights for HOURS. It really was amazing. I have a window seat and my forehead kept getting cold from leaning on a window over the Arctic at 30,000 feet.

One the return flight, we went over Greenland in broad daylight and it was crystal clear, which is really rare. That was fantastic too, like another planet.

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Lovely! on 04/04/2014 10:43:23 MDT Print View

I was lucky enough to see them in March of 89, at the Army's Winter Warfare School. They seemed so close, it was if you could actually hear them. It was almost a soft humming static electricity sound, really don't know how to describe it or if it was all our imagination.

Virginia Craft
(aletheia.va) - F

Locale: Feet dangling from the perimeter
Woop! on 05/08/2014 13:36:54 MDT Print View

Heck yea! Those photos turned out incredible! Great job!

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
what camera? on 06/16/2014 12:51:26 MDT Print View

Hey what kind of camera and light settings were you using there? I assume you had a nice tripod or was it bright enough to not need one? I once was lucky enough to see them in Amherst, MA. Looked like a multi-colored cathedral from the rennaissaince period. So epic.