Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB Lite weight 20 degree small sleeping bag and free standing lite weight tent for Philmont

Display Avatars Sort By:
JC Root
(evilroot) - F - M

Locale: Central Oregon
WTB Lite weight 20 degree small sleeping bag and free standing lite weight tent for Philmont on 02/19/2014 18:09:29 MST Print View

My son is heading down to Philmont Scout Ranch in July for a 10 day 130 mile trek and he is in need of some lite weight gear. Just picked up an Osprey Exos 46 on sale hoping that should work for his pack! He has most of his funding in place and is over 90% of his goal mainly from gofundme.com (still looking to fund the rest of his trip-if anyone cares to donate go to gofundme.com and type in 97701 and scroll thru the pages look for Jared-Philmont)

#1-20 degree bag lite weight around 2-3 lbs
#2-Lite weight 2-person tent free standing 4-lbs and under ie...Big Agnes Slater UL2+ or Tarp Tent Double Rainbow ( has to be a 2 person since the Scouts have to double up)
#3-Thermarest neo-air or a pro-lite sleeping pad regular size

Thanks--JC

Edited by evilroot on 02/20/2014 09:16:11 MST.

Chris Bell
(Hobbit) - MLife

Locale: PA Wilds
EMS Velocit 1 on 02/20/2014 05:40:46 MST Print View

PM sent on EMS Velocity 1 tent that may of interest to you.

Chris

Bruce Kolkebeck
(cjcanoe) - M

Locale: Uhwarrie National Forest
Philmont tent on 02/20/2014 10:39:14 MST Print View

Philmont provides tents at no charge to all that have paid for a trek. Save your money and use what they have.

BK

JC Root
(evilroot) - F - M

Locale: Central Oregon
Re: Philmont tent on 02/20/2014 11:16:41 MST Print View

We are trying to go as lite as possible taking one of their 6lb+ tents defeats the purpose. Most of our scouts are on the smaller younger side too. We are a new troop that is only 3 years old, but we are going to cover a record number of miles and peaks while at Philmont under the leadership of a former ranger and ultra-lite guru.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
2lb Tent For Sale on 02/20/2014 11:21:15 MST Print View

I have an UL tent for sale! Take a look!

PM me if you want to negotiate a trade, too

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=87716

Bruce Kolkebeck
(cjcanoe) - M

Locale: Uhwarrie National Forest
Philmont tarp/tent on 02/20/2014 12:39:56 MST Print View

Makes sense on the ultralite. You may want to make sure that the tent meets Philmont's requirements. They had a problem with tarptents folks brought last year. Never heard why. But my Six Moon Design was ok with the screen and floor. Can't hurt to check the Guidebook to Adventure.

There are a few good articles on backpackinglight about Philmont that cover this?

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: WTB Lite weight 20 degree small sleeping bag and free standing lite weight tent for Philmont on 02/20/2014 13:41:17 MST Print View

Hi JC,

I don't have any gear to give you but here are some ideas:

"#1-20 degree bag lite weight around 2-3 lbs"
Keep an eye on Gear Swap, geartrade.com, Amazon, and ebay for a Kelty Cosmic Down 20*. I picked one up for the kids for $89 from Sportsman's Warehouse but I haven't seen that deal in a while. Just be sure you get the Cosmic _Down_ vs the plain ol' Cosmic which is synthetic, much cheaper, but much heavier.

"#3-Thermarest neo-air or a pro-lite sleeping pad regular size"

I've never owned a neo-air but I've owned a few TAR self-inflating mats over the years including the prolite. I'd err towards the pro lite for durability reasons as they've been Scout-proof for me over the years from a durability standpoint. I still have my TAR mat from Boy Scouts; it still holds air and doesn't have a single patch on it.