Forum Index » Gear Deals » Titanium Ultralight Tent Stakes

Display Avatars Sort By:
Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Titanium Ultralight Tent Stakes on 02/18/2014 21:21:02 MST Print View

Back Instock for good.... I am now manufacturing them with a point.

LawsonEquipment.com

Thanks,
Lawson

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Titanium Ultralight Tent Stakes on 02/18/2014 22:03:48 MST Print View

Good. Some kids over here will be thrilled

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=87298

Edit: thanks Roger

Edited by kthompson on 02/19/2014 18:52:32 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Titanium Ultralight Tent Stakes on 02/19/2014 10:52:00 MST Print View

6.25" long, weigh 6.2 grams each
and now with pointy tips
*droooool*

ps: Ken, your bpl url is bad.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
tops on 02/19/2014 11:10:19 MST Print View

best tent stake ever...

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
lawson stakes on 02/19/2014 20:34:41 MST Print View

I highly reccomend these, they are designed not to bend when you are attempting to insert into hard soil.

They dont flip around easily and if they do the aggressive backbend holds the guyline.

I have the painted red version without a perfect point.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: lawson stakes on 02/19/2014 22:27:16 MST Print View

Thanks for the heads up Lawson. Just ordered some with some glow wire.

Mark Andrews
(buldogge) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Titanium Ultralight Tent Stakes on 02/20/2014 07:37:37 MST Print View

I've been waiting for this…just ordered 8 last night.

Thanx…

-Mark in St. Louis

Noel Tavan
(akatsuki_the_devil) - MLife
re on 02/20/2014 08:57:43 MST Print View

Perfect timing. got 6 more for my new 6 moon design tent. you gotta have a set for each tent.

Edited by akatsuki_the_devil on 02/20/2014 08:58:23 MST.

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
A set for ea tarp on 02/20/2014 10:03:15 MST Print View

Dang, you're right. Good thing shipping is free over a $10 order. Guess I might have to order more already!

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re: Re: lawson stakes on 02/23/2014 02:00:22 MST Print View

Just to confirm these are not painted red line they used to?

I have some red ones but might pick up a few more.

Just to repeat myself, these stakes are the best in it's class. A lot of people love these because they are so light but are designed so well. If you have not liked ti wire stakes in the past, try these you will like them!

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
Re: Re: Re: lawson stakes on 02/24/2014 21:21:43 MST Print View

Received my order today. Bare and without paint, but pointy.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com

Thanks for all the business. I am glad everyone likes these stakes. I have sold ALOT of them over the years.

John Jonas
(hjuan99) - MLife
painting red on 03/26/2014 15:00:58 MDT Print View

If we were to buy them, how would you recommend that we paint the tops for better visibility?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: painting red on 03/26/2014 15:30:55 MDT Print View

I think you want to paint them any color that contrasts with the color of the ground in the area where you operate. That is likely to be red or blue, and it is unlikely to be tan or green.

I'm not so concerned about seeing them in daylight. I am more concerned about seeing them at night so that I don't trip and break my fool neck. So, I paint mine with glow-in-the-dark paint which looks kind of yellow by daylight, and it glows yellow green at night.

--B.G.--

John Jonas
(hjuan99) - MLife
paint application? on 03/26/2014 16:04:06 MDT Print View

Ok, but what kind of paint? Are you brushing a particular type of paint that sticks to titanium or using a spray paint, etc? Suggestions on how many coats, etc?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: paint application? on 03/26/2014 16:18:26 MDT Print View

I'm not brushing or spraying any paint.

It takes good paint to stick to titanium rod, so you should first rough up the metal surface, then dip it in some kind of white epoxy paint. Once that is completely dry, then you can dip it in glow-in-the-dark paint that contains strontium aluminate. The white color of epoxy acts like a reflector, so the glow appears brighter.

Unfortunately, all of the glow-in-the-dark paint that I have is latex-based, so it is not very hard when dry. I try to beat that a little by coating it with some clear fingernail polish.

If you erect your shelter before sunset, then the glow-in-the-dark paint will collect some sunlight, and then it glows better. If you wait until after sunset, the glow won't be as bright. You can always shine a flashlight on it, and that helps a bit, but an hour of sunlight works the best.

Now, if you think about this... where should the paint be, exactly? If you paint the very top of the stake, it may be impacted by a rock used to pound it into the ground. However, somewhere near the top will be best for visibility. I generally dip mine for about one inch, but I don't concentrate on getting the very top spot covered.

If you do this, you should be adding a negligible amount of weight to a stake.

--B.G.--

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Titanium Ultralight Tent Stakes on 03/26/2014 17:43:52 MDT Print View

Hey, Lawson...can you make one like this next?

t

Edited by bigfoot2 on 03/26/2014 17:44:22 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: painting red on 03/26/2014 18:08:56 MDT Print View

Red enamel in spray can?

You don't care about even coverage or anything. After a while a lot will scrape off but there'll be enough left to find stake. One can will paint hundreds of stakes, so if it starts wearing off after a few trips, just repaint. Just wash and dry stakes first, maybe rough up a little with fine sandpaper?

If it comes off too quickly, maybe prepare better the next time?

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
coloring tent stakes on 03/26/2014 19:43:06 MDT Print View

The few that I have used that were painted, either by me, or from the company, never lasted long at all... The best thing that I have found is to anodize them. It can be done pretty easily with some diet coke and a few 9V batteries. The color may not be as bright, but it beats being a dull gray, or silver... mine are a bluish color.

ti stakes

anodize

James Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
Powdercoat on 03/26/2014 21:49:07 MDT Print View

Look for local powdercoat shops. Powdercoating is the most durable paint type finish. will be a little heavier than regular paint, but will last much longer and can be done in a variety of colors. You might be able to get a deal if you are willing to wait and not to picky on exact color, just have the stakes done at the same time as another job in a color you want.