Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
210d Dyneema X Gridstop-Question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
210d Dyneema X Gridstop-Question on 02/18/2014 08:54:44 MST Print View

I prefer a drawstring closure for the top of my backpack bag. Has anyone used a drawstring closure with 210d Dyneema X Gridstop from thru-hiker?

I'm wondering if the stiffness of the Dyneema interferes with the fabric gathering as the drawstring is tightened.

I've only used uncoated ripstop (<2 ounces per square yard) on previous packs and it gathers easily when closed.

I'd like to get some closure on this topic.

Matthew Pullan
(Skyaddict) - F - MLife

Locale: Steiermark
Dyneema drawstring closure. on 02/18/2014 09:08:33 MST Print View

My old Golite Gust backpack is made of dyneema gridstop and has a drawstring closure at the top. It closes just fine. I can't decide if I should unpick the whole pack and use it as a pattern for Dyneema/Cuben hybrids. I really love it as a pack and of course once it's gone...
Matt

Edited by Skyaddict on 02/18/2014 09:38:11 MST.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
separate tunnel on 02/18/2014 09:35:21 MST Print View

If you have doubts about the stiffness, just make the actual tunnel out of a different fabric, lighter and more flexible.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
X on 02/18/2014 12:12:44 MST Print View

Daryl, the X Grid closes just fine.
It only gets slightly thick.
We do it all the time.

How tall the tube is has a bearing on it also. A tube short in height would be harder to close than a taller one. Ours must be close to 1.5" to 2" tall. (I'm away right now so can't measure.) Grommets are the alternet, but drawstrings can hang up on things you are trying to stuff in small circumference packs.

Edited by wildlife on 02/18/2014 12:20:44 MST.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: 210d Dyneema X Gridstop-Question on 02/18/2014 12:22:57 MST Print View

Mathew, Paul, Dan,

Thanks for the responses.

I am now more than prepared to move forward with confidence toward closure on this subject.

David Olsen
(bivysack.com) - F - M

Locale: Channeled Scablands
alternate to grommets on 02/18/2014 12:27:30 MST Print View

sew in a bunch of tiny loops of grosgrain or webbing can take the place of grommets.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: alternate to grommets on 02/18/2014 12:33:14 MST Print View

David, great idea, I never thought of that.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Re: alternate to grommets on 02/18/2014 13:38:31 MST Print View

Another way is to heat a hole through the fabric with a paperclip, or thicker. High heats will burn it (like red hot. Slow work, it may take 5 minutes to do a pack. The melting seem to form a good ring around raw fadric. On heavier stuff, like tarp/staff keepers, I use a 12 or 16 penny nail.

Matthew Pullan
(Skyaddict) - F - MLife

Locale: Steiermark
Golite Gust drawstring on 02/19/2014 05:49:07 MST Print View

Hi Daryl,
if it's any help, here are a few photos of the Golite Gust.Golite Gust

Here is a closeup of the collar. It has a good 1 inch tube for the drawstring, as mentioned above.Gust drawstring open

Here it is closed up:Gust drawstring closed

There is slight resistance to the drawcord when you close it up, but that is from the heavy PU coating. The grommet is just straight through the dyneema, but I would be tempted to add some grosgrain and go through both layers with the grommet. Personally, I would also use 140d dyneema for the whole of the collar as it is a low wear point. Good luck.
Matt

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Golite Gust drawstring on 02/19/2014 09:06:34 MST Print View

I'm adding the grommet ideas to my trick bag. I'm sure they will come in handy somewhere.

Mathew,

Photos were very helpful.

Thanks.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
210d Dyneema X Gridstop-Question on 02/19/2014 21:24:29 MST Print View

Daryl,
I did what David Olsen suggested with a dark green 'white widow' spectra gridstop pack made in 2007. The fabric is similar in weight, around 4 oz. For strength, a light half inch webbing was used rather than grosgrain or twill tape for the loops.

The sleeve does not go completely over the pack contents, leaving an opening of a few inches when tightly cinched at the top. But this is OK, because there is another sleeve sewn inside it made of lighter WP fabric that has lighter loops of quarter inch wide cord with another drawstring and cord lock. The inside sleeve cinches up to a tight closure (there is a top pocket that goes over this).

The idea was for the outside sleeve to take all the pressure of compressing the pack contents, and the inner sleeve to provide water resistance. It has worked very well, with no loops pulling out. I don't think grommets could have withstood the pressure I put on the outside sleeve when jamming everything in for a week.

Sorry I don't have a photo of the pack with the top pocket off and the sleeves in view. The dark green gridstop makes it hard to see any detail anyway. Here, you can see what I mean:
AD pack-full

In addition to the top pocket and tailored bottle pockets on the outside, there is an additional envelope pocket on the inside for maps, notebooks, flat items that need to be kept dry.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: 210d Dyneema X Gridstop-Question on 02/19/2014 22:05:37 MST Print View

Samuel,

"Sorry I don't have a photo of the pack with the top pocket off and the sleeves in view."

No problem. Your words paint a good picture.
Thanks for the example, experience and info.
That's a nice looking pack.

Edited by lyrad1 on 02/19/2014 22:06:23 MST.