Forum Index » Gear Swap » FS- Hilleberg Kaitum 3 + footprint. ** New **

Display Avatars Sort By:
stephen billings
(stephenb) - MLife

Locale: oregon
SOLD-- Hilleberg Kaitum 3 + footprint. ** New ** on 02/17/2014 22:08:46 MST Print View

Tent is now Sold

I am selling a New Hilleberg Kaitum 3 in green. Also have the footprint if someone wants that.

Tent has only been set up in my bonus room on carpet. I removed the metal zipper pulls ( a lot of them) and replaced with Kelty Triptease pulls. This made tent somewhat lighter and should make much quieter.

This tent was purchased last year and is the current model.

Selling the tent for over 30% off current price ( $270 off the now $895 new price )

If someone wants the footprint ( new also in it's own stuff sack) - I will sell that at 40% off- $65.

*** Selling tent for $625 plus $15 ( $640) to ship in the CONUS. If you want the footprint also will sell that for $65.

**Will accept- (Paypal; Money order, cashiers check, etc) For PP- either add 3% for fees, or use the personal option.

pic

pic

pic

Edited by stephenb on 02/19/2014 23:57:18 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: FS- Hilleberg Kaitum 3 + footprint. ** New ** on 02/18/2014 06:16:22 MST Print View

Off all the tents I have used in the last 25 years this is far my favoutite.

Best of luck with the sale.

Stephen

stephen billings
(stephenb) - MLife

Re: FS- Hilleberg Kaitum 3 + footprint. ** New ** on 02/19/2014 14:03:56 MST Print View

Any interest here in this tent?

Eric Osburn
(osb40000) - MLife
Interest on 02/19/2014 17:13:37 MST Print View

PM sent.

Kenda Willey
(sonderlehrer) - M
This is a great tent! on 02/19/2014 17:24:54 MST Print View

Like Stephen M, I'm cheering this tent on, without buying it myself. I already have two Hilleberg tents so I don't need any more, but I'm here to tell prospective buyers that the comfort is worth the weight. Hillies are incomparable winter tents--high-quality, spacious and warm, and if you backpack in a group, you can divide up the weight.

Eric Osburn
(osb40000) - MLife
Winter worthy on 02/19/2014 18:07:57 MST Print View

As a red label tent, how will this tent do in the winter? This tent would be my winter tent since I have other shelters to use the rest of the year. Is a black label necessary? There seems to be quite the weight penalty when moving up to a black label.

Anthony Huhn
(anthonyjhuhn) - F - MLife

Locale: Mid West
Re: Red Label on 02/19/2014 18:18:52 MST Print View

Red label would be fine for winter.

The difference is
Kerlon 1200 vs Kerlon 1800 fabric
9mm vs 10mm poles
Lighter inner fabrics and floor fabrics
And lighter zippers

As someone who owns a akto I am not afraid for the fabrics at all.

My single pole is iffy for snow loading but the Katium has 3 poles which should be just fine.... you even have the option of double poling if you are going to have a ton of snow or wind

Anthony

Brian Reyman
(breyman) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountains
+1 on Winter Use on 02/19/2014 20:20:54 MST Print View

Agreed on winter use. I have 4 Hillebergs and red labels are definitely up to 95% of folks' winter use. The main thing I might hesitate on would be extended trips to places like Antartica. Other than that. I'd only consider needing black label if a similar tent wasn't available in red (not the case here) or I was going to use it for a very long period of time - the better zippers and fabric will hold up better for hundreds and hundreds of nights of use. Everywhere/anything else is fine for the Kaitum.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
Black vs red label on 02/19/2014 20:27:43 MST Print View

Black label tunnel tents like the Keron are designed for polar expeditions. They carry a hefty weight penalty over the red label equivalents. Frankly they are overkill for much of what we encounter in the continental US.

As the flagship red label model, the Kaitum is a terrific winter tent that is usable year round. I have owned one for use in the Rockies for a couple of years. It has a massive inner tent space thanks to the three pole design and vertical doors. The two vestibules provide plenty of space for gear and the best ventilation of the red label tents. The K3 is palatial for two and comfortable for three. This is a shelter that will outlast pretty much anything else you own.

James Harris
(OZvqQ7d2ckuKeB) - MLife
Re WInter worthy on 02/19/2014 20:33:55 MST Print View

Eric, as a current owner of a Soulo and a former owner of an Akto, I wouldn't worry at all about using Red Label tents in winter conditions. I've used both in some seriously windy and rough places and had no troubles with either.

Edited by OZvqQ7d2ckuKeB on 02/19/2014 20:34:51 MST.

stephen billings
(stephenb) - MLife

Sold on 02/19/2014 23:56:02 MST Print View

Tent is now sold