Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 11:54:54 MST Print View

I knew Cody was too honest for "reality" TV. Good for him. The world didn't need another Bear Grylls. By his own words, the show was all "TV" and no reality. Good for him.

From Cody Lundin's Facebook page:

Dual Survival Update

Dear Campers,
Unfortunately, I have been fired by Discovery Channel for differences over safety and health concerns on the show and will no longer be a part of Dual Survival.

Although I’ll miss elements of the show, what I’ll miss the most are my fans and the opportunity to teach - on a global level – life saving skills, indigenous culture, and values of integrity and respect toward our natural world.

I have received numerous letters from viewers. Many are from kids, or their parents or grandparents, describing in detail how the show has changed their lives. It has brought families together, inspired kids to go outdoors, and motivated moms and dads around the world to take that family camping trip, many for the first time. If I can use a TV show to encourage people to turn off TV and turn on nature, I have done my job.

Thank you all very much for your support over the years. Be safe and prepared, and maybe I’ll train with you in the woods some day!

Stay classy,
Cody Lundin

c

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 14:09:45 MST Print View

Thanks Matthew,

I didn't care for that show, I lost interest at the barefoot Fabio thing. Although good for Cody to stick to his principles. We all have to reconcile our actions against our values at the end of the day, and reflect upon those choices in our golden years.

One the up side, he keeps his dignity and will not be known in TV history as the clown who drinks his own kidney flush. That's another flying monkey.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 16:05:07 MST Print View

I really enjoy this show and like/d how their personalities conflicted and complemented each other. I really appreciated Cody's contributions to the show as his behavior is closer to how one should actually behave in a survival situation.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 18:28:05 MST Print View

I get tired of the drama. Not enough useful survival info.

There must be 100 different shows, from survival, to gold mining, to un-real housewives, to cooking, to..., all primarily focused on the drama - people getting mad at each other

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 18:42:35 MST Print View

"I get tired of the drama. Not enough useful survival info."

Pretty much my reasoning for turning off all of the cable news channels.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 19:32:37 MST Print View

"I get tired of the drama. Not enough useful survival info."

Which differs from BPL how?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 19:41:17 MST Print View

"Which differs from BPL how?"

I've been surviving for 37 years with relative success.

I definitely come for the drama.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 20:05:14 MST Print View

Ian,

You should snip that cable. You won't miss it.

We have been cable free for going on 3 years now. Best side effect is it irks my FIL when he visits ;-) That is priceless...lol!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 20:17:55 MST Print View

Does that mean he leaves earlier?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 20:24:11 MST Print View

"You should snip that cable. You won't miss it."

I agree! I had mine snipped more than 10 years ago and haven't missed it at all!

Wait, what were we talking about?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 20:48:50 MST Print View

"You should snip that cable. You won't miss it."

I've had that conversation, several times, and have been shot down 3-1 each time. There are a few shows I like to watch but I can catch them all on Apple TV or wait to rent the DVDs.

Oh well

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 20:55:06 MST Print View

I got rid of cable more than 8 years ago and I've never regretted it. I cannot imagine paying for all that crap out there...I have netflix and can stream other stuff thru iTunes or amazon when I want it.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/17/2014 23:04:15 MST Print View

"I got rid of cable more than 8 years ago and I've never regretted it. I cannot imagine paying for all that crap out there...I have netflix and can stream other stuff thru iTunes or amazon when I want it."

Truth. Haven't had cable ever since i've been on my own and haven't missed it at all. Ok, there were a couple of times where there were some shows i wished i had been able to see as they were originally playing, but other than that, haven't missed it.

Oh, and Cody Lundin. I think he can be a little stubborn at times, but for whatever reason(s) really like the guy. Maybe he will be able to do a show more independently and have more control over it. That would be cool.

Edited by ArcturusBear on 02/17/2014 23:06:19 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/18/2014 01:12:23 MST Print View

Good for him.

Discovery is making a mockery out of survival/bushcraft skills. It would be nice if he got his own show on the science channel next to the new survivorman episodes.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/18/2014 08:08:45 MST Print View

My name is jerry and I'm a TV addict.

Mostly it's just background noise. Good shows on PBS. Discovery Channel has some good shows, like about geology or asteroids hitting the earth. I have to admit I've watched pretty much all of Breaking Bad and Dexter. For domestic tranquility I watch The Batchelor although that is total drama. I refuse to watch any of the Unreal Housewives shows, if that means divorce so be it...

. Kirby
(Kirby805) - F
Re: Re: Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin. on 02/18/2014 10:05:29 MST Print View

"Discovery is making a mockery out of ..."

Everything?

If there was ever a sign that the country is heading down the tubes, just look at what happened to the History Channel. There is or was a primetime television show about people who buy unclaimed baggage at the airport. Seriously, I am not joking. Who thinks of this stuff? Better yet, who the heck watches people rummage through other people's unwanted suitcases? I'm sure it all ties in to people's fascination with getting rich quick and whatnot, but things have officially hit a new low.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Survivorman on 02/18/2014 14:17:34 MST Print View

I always strongly suspected that the interpersonal 'drama' on Dual Survival was contrived. I guess that if this was one of the issues of contention that I'd have to back him up on his decision. Because TV needs more drama, right?- like on Man vs. Wild? This is also one reason that, though he is clearly an accomplished outdoorsman and adventurer, Bear Grylls' show annoys the hell out of me and I refuse to watch it. Each episode is 30 minutes of my life wasted that I'll never get back. I interpret it as a total sell-out on Bear's part.

I did like Cody, though. He's also my my 7-year-old daughter's favorite: "The barefoot guy! Yay! Is he going to eat that snake?!?"

That's why I'm a Survivorman guy, myself, if I must pick one of those shows to prefer.

Man, Woman, Wild was amusing at times, too, and the occasional conflict and drama did not seem contrived in that I actually believe that she is in fact just that much of a slight drama queen. After all, she is a television journalist and actress... The expert-vs-neophyte angle was a nice idea, too. (Well, sort of neophyte- she is clearly at least well traveled.) Perhaps their new show Lost Survivors will be similar.

Naked and Afraid is also an interesting angle, though I again suspect that at least some of the drama is contrived, if only because the subjects might be told to "express all of your thoughts and feelings" or somesuch, which leads to them all sounding whiney.

Dude, You're Screwed is also amusing, but in an entirely different way... :)

Personally, I would LOVE a more realistic survival show, or even just a primitive skills show since we're talking about Cody Lundin. A good show might be him placed in various survival situations with a non-survivalist neophyte (or several, it could vary) so that the skills teaching involved can be included in a non-contrived way.

Edited by acrosome on 02/18/2014 14:34:34 MST.

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
Cody who? on 02/25/2014 03:09:27 MST Print View

Seriously... Ya'll watch too much TV.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Not really. on 02/25/2014 10:38:35 MST Print View

No. We just watch more obscure TV than you do. I think I might watch six hours of TV a week, max, and it's all History Channel, Military Channel, Discovery, and stuff like the Olympics. (I don't watch TV news- it's pointless.)

I couldn't even name which reality singing/dancing shows are currently playing, let alone the people involved in them.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
Unemployed? on 02/25/2014 12:04:00 MST Print View

I just saw Cody at Fry's grocery store yesterday. I thought about asking him if he was there to fill out an application but decided not to. He's a lot bigger than me.