Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Sweden's E1 Trails

Display Avatars Sort By:
Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
Sweden's E1 Trails on 02/17/2014 05:47:56 MST Print View

Just finished the first section of these trails, trip report can be found here:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/02/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

I will post more reports in this thread in the future as I chip away at this 1200km system of trails.

74 pics to match roughly 74km length of this first section, though I did cheat a bit and skip out on some boring suburbs and farmland hiking by taking a bus out to where the woodsy part of the trail begins. Completed the rest in two section hikes.

On my second section hike I ran into one of the oddest and more difficult trail hiking I've done in some time. Let's just say I have a new found respect for tightrope walkers.

Hope you enjoy, and as always questions and constructive feedback always welcome :)

M L
(Ablaut) - F
Thanks! on 02/17/2014 13:10:03 MST Print View

Thanks for the report and pictures!

It looks like the fallen trees could be the damage of something like a smaller microburst. I've seen this sort of damage plenty of times in southern Michigan. Friends in Latvia have said they rarely see that sort of severe weather in the region, but I don't know how accurate that is or whether that's accurate for across the Baltic as well.

Personally, I don't mind the tree-hopping! But the clean-up takes a tremendous amount of work and time, and can further mar the surroundings when trucks have to get in somewhere more remote.

German Tourist
(GermanTourist) - F

Locale: in my tent
Sweden's E1 Trails on 02/17/2014 15:36:22 MST Print View

Cesar, please keep up the good work. I will hike the entire E1 in Sweden and Norway up to the North Cape in 2015 as part of my project to hike all across Europe from its Southernmost point (Tarifa in Spain) to its Northernmost point. I have just finished the first part from Germany to Tarifa (3,800 km).

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.de/search/label/Southern%20Europe

It would be a great help for future thruhikers if you could include resupply information into your report (food and especially gas canisters).

I have bookmarked your blog and will definitely use it as a planning resource for my upcoming trip.

Thanks for all the work you put into your trip reports - future thruhikers will really appreciate it.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Re: ML and die Deutsch Touristen on 02/18/2014 13:16:06 MST Print View

ML - Thanks for the kind words. I don't mind tree hopping either most of the time, when conditions are safer and I am not in a race with the sun. I crossed 5 or 6 different trees, one of which was not very thick, and all of them were wet. Not to mention that some were also a few meters above the ground, and all the jagged branches around, and wind. Not trying to sound over-dramatic, but honestly that's a realistic description of that situation. Not so fun during, but I am a bit proud of myself now after the fact.

Tree crossings I like are in the heat of the summer climbing on a tree that hangs out into a lake and then jumping in, now that's a good time. I hope they clean up that mess, and as I said in my blog, I did indeed not only send the Hallands tourist site an email, but called them as well (but the guy in charge of the trail I was connected to didn't pick up).

Christine - Thank you for the kind words and helpful feedback. In past trip reports, like for Bohusleden, I did include resupply points. I think I was excited to get this first E1 guide out that I skipped that without meaning to, but I will soon go back and edit in some more info. I nearly always update my reports after publishing them to fix typos, add some details, etc. I can tell you right now that gas cans are a bit trickier to get. Alcohol can be found at nearly all gas stations and camping grounds with stores, and Esbit is only at specialty shops. Places I know that have gas cans are some gas stations (bigger ones like Q8 and Shell especially), Naturkompaniet, a fair amount of larger supermarkets, and hardware stores like Clas Ohlson and Jula. I don't use gas, so I am just going of memory of places I have seen them, so there could be more options.

I noticed your blog and I am in awe of the amount of trips you have under your belt. If ever there was a 10th degree black belt in backpacking, you'd probably be one. I will check out your report shortly, and good luck on your continued trips. And keep up the good work yourself!

Whenever you get to Sweden you are welcome to contact me. Maybe I can show you around, we could get a beer, or something? I'd even be down to go with you on a section hike if it's possible. And in the mean time feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns about backpacking Sweden. :)

I should have up a few more reports on the next E1 trails in the next few weeks or so.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Three more trip reports! on 03/20/2014 07:15:13 MDT Print View

Finally found the time to update my ongoing E1 adventures with three more sections. Think in total I uploaded around 60 pictures, most of which for Knalleleden.

Part 2 of northern Hallandsleden: http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/03/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden_20.html

Vildmarksleden: http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/03/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

Knalleleden: http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/03/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden_5208.html

As always, questions and feedback are welcome and encouraged.

I hope to complete the next two sections of trail (about 70km combined) by the end of April.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Another (huge!) trip report on 05/05/2014 02:56:30 MDT Print View

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/05/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

New personal records on my last section hike on 06/01/2014 12:46:39 MDT Print View

Just got back from a three day trip from my ongoing E1 quest, this time roughly half of the Västra Vätterleden. Much better trail than the one before it on the E1 system.

I set two new personal records, and I feel inspired as I get closer to a long time goal of mine of putting in a full marathon (42km) day of hiking. First is my longest ever section hike, where in 3 days I hiked around 90km. I beat my previous record by a full day, as it used to be 90km in 4 days. I also put in a 37km day, edging out my previous record of 36km. Only 5 more kilometers to go for a full marathon, and I feel confident that I will be able to do this eventually--if not the near future. A big help has been my snack routines--especially large doses of both candied almonds and dates--as well as taking frequent small water/photography breaks.

This hike covered 4 different stages of this particular trail, so I will write up a report for each one sometime soon and will throw up a link here when I am finished with them.

That's all for now. I know these personal bests of mine are no big deal to some of you hardcore hikers, but just wanted to share my progress in the meantime while I write up my reports :)

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Another long trip report with 80 pics on 06/03/2014 13:23:29 MDT Print View

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/06/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Another long trip report with 80 pics on 06/04/2014 09:52:28 MDT Print View

Cesar,

Great work on your reports. I think a guidebook is in your future :)

In a year or two I'll be visiting some family in Sweden and staying for a short time. I hope to get out and explore some of the trails while I'm over there. Needless to say, your trip reports are an invaluable source of information for me. Keep up the good work.

Cheers!
Jacob.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Re: Re: Another long trip report with 80 pics on 06/05/2014 03:01:28 MDT Print View

Jacob, thank you very much for your kind words. I am glad that my reports will be helpful for you in the future! I am sure you'll have a great time visiting your family over here. If you happen to be around the Gothenburg area and have the time (and I'm not busy either) I could show you around if you want. Regardless, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions or concerns you might have for your trip here.

I hope that I can one day get a guidebook published. I have contacted a few book companies that focus on outdoor trail guide type books, but unfortunately no dice. I hope that in the future, perhaps after finishing both the E1 trails and Kungsleden, a publisher will pay more attention to me. We'll see. Until then I am happy to have my guides up as a free service on an advert-free blog.

My next section hike will probably be in about a month, where I hope to finish the VV trail.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

One of my favorite trips yet, aside from the ducky thing on 06/30/2014 07:39:41 MDT Print View

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/06/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden_30.html

I also plan on doing a post-hike video to put up on youtube to discuss gear and other nuances of this last trip.

As always, feedback encouraged and appreciated :)