Forum Index » GEAR » "When your pants are kinda heavy..."

Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: missing the point on 02/17/2014 08:01:23 MST Print View

"And we KNOW just how many miles are chopped off your day per pound weight extra. See Ryan's article on the [Arctic 1000] trip, where he spells the numbers out clearly."

True if you are operating day after day at the limits of your physical abilities. But for many, a day of hiking is well below that, with the extent limited by smelling the roses, photography, daylight, etc.

Your days May be enjoyable with less weight, but the tipping point will vary, depending on strength and ambition.

Owen McMurrey
(OwenM) - F - M

Locale: SE US
Re: Pants on 02/17/2014 09:13:50 MST Print View

wcollings:
"In the summer and fall, I wear Marmot Cruz pants. A lightweight "peached" nylon hiking/travel pant...They also make identical shorts and the obligatory "convertible" version. I find that I prefer to just wear the shorts or the long pants.

In the spring and winter, I wear the Marmot Scree pants. Awesome unlined stretchy softshell pant...I've yet to be cold yet winter hiking or snow shoeing with these over baselayers. These weigh 15.4 ounces."

Always wondered if I had a long lost twin! Those are my exact pants/shorts choices.
I'm kinda distraught over the newer versions (edit: of the Scree) with numbered waist(2012 and up?), as they are indecent on me in both the 32 and 34 while the old Medium is perfect. I haven't found anything comparable(for me) in fit and comfort.

Edited by OwenM on 02/17/2014 09:15:01 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: "When your pants are kinda heavy..." REI Sahara cargo pants ~13 oz on 02/17/2014 10:05:03 MST Print View

REI Sahara cargo pants / pockets, convertibles zip, medium:
2006 model, built in belt: 374g, 13.19 oz
2013 model, detachable belt, longer zippers: 360g, 12.70 oz

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Heavy is Better Sometimes on 02/17/2014 12:11:42 MST Print View

I bought and tried 8oz Outdoor Research nylon pants. I found them annoyingly slim, non-stretchy, and I longed for a few simple features.

My 13oz Prana pants are stretchy, comfortable, have neat features like snaps to roll them up and a small belt for a snug fit, have a liner in the waist to prevent chafing, have a cargo pocket on the side with zip openings in two directions... Do I need all these features? No! But they make for a much more "livable" pair of pants.

However, when I bike tour, I bring a 3.5oz pair of wind pants as my only long trousers.

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: Re: missing the point on 02/17/2014 18:57:06 MST Print View

"And we KNOW just how many miles are chopped off your day per pound weight extra. See Ryan's article on the Arctic 100 trip, where he spells the numbers out clearly."

Can someone point me to this article? Looked for it for a bit, but no luck.

Thanks!

Bill S.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
When your pants are kinda heavy on 02/17/2014 19:17:51 MST Print View

I think that this is the article in question :
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/calculating_range_in_lightweight_backpacking.html

BTW, it was the Arctic 1000 not 100. I think that I could handle the 100 version...

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: That's it on 02/18/2014 15:43:51 MST Print View

Thanks, Franco.

Some interesting ideas, but I'm not so sure about some of conclusions, or underlying explanations. IMO, it's really *not* all that clear exactly how much a few extra ounces matter. Would be interesting to break it all down.

Fwiw, I usually wear pretty lightweight nylon pants (more like 8 oz than 11 oz), but there is a price - I usually shred about one pair per month on the trail due to bushwhacking damage or unplanned "glissade." The heavier pants do much better.

Best,

Bill S.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Heavy is Better Sometimes on 02/18/2014 16:14:23 MST Print View

"However, when I bike tour, I bring a 3.5oz pair of wind pants as my only long trousers."

I'm curious, have you ever fallen off your bike in ultralight windpants? I imagine them shredding almost instantly.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: When your pants are kinda heavy on 02/18/2014 17:10:48 MST Print View

I'm sorry...i can't stop thinking of this every time I see this thread:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwhl4IrPNc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtMwhl4IrPNc

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: That's it on 02/18/2014 17:21:09 MST Print View

"Some interesting ideas, but I'm not so sure about some of conclusions, or underlying explanations. IMO, it's really *not* all that clear exactly how much a few extra ounces matter. Would be interesting to break it all down.

Fwiw, I usually wear pretty lightweight nylon pants (more like 8 oz than 11 oz), but there is a price - I usually shred about one pair per month on the trail due to bushwhacking damage or unplanned "glissade." The heavier pants do much better."

I didn't realize that my stripped down non convertible REI Sahara pant were heavy at 11oz. But I can tell you that they finally blew out the butt seem after hiking the PCT in 2011 and having glissaded thousands of ft along the way. I would not want anything any thinner, too many trade offs with durability.