November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
what trips does your troop have planned for this year?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Vincent Lauricella
(1776SM) - F
Summer Camp on 03/26/2014 05:24:01 MDT Print View

Has your troop ever been to Camp Durant? We have a group going there at the end of July for a second week of summer camp.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Re: Summer Camp on 03/26/2014 10:38:50 MDT Print View

Vince - I don't believe so - we've gone to Grimes every year as far as I know... I can ask around at the next meeting however! Troop has been in existence since 1966 or so with a fair number of multi decade participants so it is possible!

Monique Schaefers

Locale: PNW
2014 backpacking with scouts on 05/29/2015 11:13:45 MDT Print View

My two boys - 17 and 11 are in Boy Scouts. My older two kids - 17b and 14g are in Venture Crew.

March - Redwoods, 35 miles, VC
April - Rogue River Trail, 50 miles, VC
June - Souther Oregon Coast, 52 miles, BS
July - Middle Sister summit, 32 miles, BS (French Scout joined us)
August - Jefferson Wilderness out of Camp Pioneer, 66 miles, BS and VC

Every month (except December and January) there is at least one backpack trip and one car camping trip with the Boy Scouts offered each month. Mileage varies between 6 miles and 25 miles. The Venture Crew does one a month in June, July, August. Mileage is 25-100 miles. They do lots of canoeing, kayaking, climbing, shooting the rest of the time.

Elizabeth Kunkee
(ElizabethK) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Girl Scout Backpacking on 06/02/2015 14:24:58 MDT Print View

Our Girl Scout troop is nicknamed "Shark Bait" and is a large multi-age troop encompassing grades 6-12 (Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors). We are based in Palos Verdes, in Southern California (Los Angeles metro area).

Our troop's first backpacking trip was last September at Topanga State Park.

In March we did a Friday night hike from Altadena up to Henninger Flats trail camp, where on Saturday Ranger Johan Lockard led an excellent nature hike, and guided the girls as they did a trail maintenance service project.

In June we will be backpacking in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. Each backpacking trip has gotten a little more challenging and we have about 8 girls and 2-3 adults on each trip.

Our troop provides high quality lightweight backpacks (such as REI Flash 50), Z-rest pads, MSR canister stoves and cook sets, and REI Half-dome tents. Girls just need to provide sturdy trail shoes, sleeping bag, and personal gear. I borrow the backpacks, stoves, and Z-rest pads from the Hermosa Beach T860 Boy Scout Troop but someday we'd like to build up Shark Bait's backpacking gear stock. Our troop is actively recruiting adventurous girls, and we draw members from several area cities.