Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hyperlite Mountain Gear UltaMid 2 Shelter Review
Display Avatars Sort By:
J P
(jpovs) - F - M

Locale: North Shore
Re: Comparison with the Locus Khufu and use of DPTE on 02/13/2014 10:27:16 MST Print View

-

Edited by jpovs on 06/15/2014 14:01:39 MDT.

Andy Jarman
(AndyJarman) - M

Locale: Edge of the World
HMG Ulta Mid Vs Bear Paw Pyra 2? on 02/13/2014 17:47:06 MST Print View

Having complained about no mossie net (my post above) I took a look at the Bear Paw Pyra 2. Lo ! it can be fitted with an internal mossie net/bug bivy, hurrah.

Now, what I'd really like to know is why would I look at an HMG Ulta Mid when the Bear Paw Pyra 2 is nearly half the price, lighter, the same size AND I can add a bug bivy during mossie season? Can anyone shed light on any pros and cons between these two shelters?

Edited by AndyJarman on 02/13/2014 18:09:10 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Hyperlite Mountain Gear UltaMid 2 Shelter Review on 02/14/2014 16:27:49 MST Print View

From Kevin :
"aggressive caternary cut in the corner "
If you still have the shelter try this :
When you stake down the corners don't pull the fabric taut but leave some slack.
(the more tension you have on the 4 sides before putting the pole in , the greater the catenary curve will be)
Once you place the pole in and it is up then pull the corners taut if they need to be.
May not work for you but try it.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Sloped door on 02/15/2014 06:18:29 MST Print View

Could those people that have used shelters of this type comment on how the sloped entrance works on a rainy night? It does seem like LOTS of water could come in during avery short time if you have to get out during storm. I ask this because I often camp with my kids, and there is little hope of controlling when they decide to go.
Thanks,
Tom

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Sloped door on 02/15/2014 08:15:17 MST Print View

Don't put anything below the door. Consider that spot an entrance area. Close door, shake off rain jacket and put aside. Move to the other area that's dry.

With one person, I open the door on one side and leave the other side closed, where my sleeping bag is, dry.

With two people, I stake the middle of both panels, so the wet area is in the center, and the foot of both sleeping bags points point to the corners on both sides.

Kids are maybe a little less under control - harder to constrain water to just that one spot.

Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
UltraMid Review on 02/15/2014 19:59:27 MST Print View

After posting complaints over editorial drift into areas like pack rafting and heavy backpacks, it is nice to see a review of a newish UL product. I have always enjoyed Will's reviews.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Sloped door on 02/15/2014 20:31:49 MST Print View

---- drifting ----

Tom -
"Could those people that have used shelters of this type comment on how the sloped entrance works on a rainy night? It does seem like LOTS of water could come in during avery short time if you have to get out during storm. I ask this because I often camp with my kids, and there is little hope of controlling when they decide to go."

Have you considered a Mountain Laurel Designs' TrailStar?

TrailStar
It's got a very functional all-weather entry...

...or a SuperMid

SuperMid

...in "half-door" mode?

----- end drift

Edited by greg23 on 02/15/2014 20:46:35 MST.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Hyperlite Mountain Gear UltaMid 2 Shelter Review on 02/16/2014 10:06:15 MST Print View

"Taking into account that a center pole is required for these shelters (unless you suspend it from a tree branch), the narrower Mids (60 and 64 in/152 to 163 cm wide) seem inadequate for two sleepers; the wider widths would be preferred, especially if you use it for winter camping."

At another site one reviewer of a center pole tent liked the center pole as a nice divider between users. My wife and I are usually debating which of us is over the center line. Center pole might be good for us?

Is the center pole really a problem for two sleeping people? Neither of them should be taking up the center spot anyway.

Edited by lyrad1 on 02/16/2014 10:52:31 MST.

Will Rietveld
(WilliWabbit) - MLife

Locale: Southwest Colorado
Re: Hyperlite Mountain Gear UltaMid 2 Shelter Review on 02/17/2014 12:00:28 MST Print View

Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions.

CORNER CATENARY CURVES: The corners do have a catenary curve, and yes that does reduce interior headroom. Raising the shelter up a bit helps a lot to increase sidewall headroom. It snowed on the shelter only one time when I was testing it. It was about 1" of wet snow that stuck to the tent; it really flattend the lower sides of the shelter and did not readily come off. It was not very inhabitable under those conditions. I did not use the shelter for camping in dryer snow.

CUBEN FIBER WEIGHTS: I incorrectly stated that HMG uses a heavier weight of Cuben Fiber. Upon further research I find there is some variation in the stated weight from .74 to .78 g/sm, but in fact they are all exactly the same thing. Only ZPacks uses a lighter weight. CT2E.08, about 26g/sqm, .75oz sq.yd, break strength 105 lb/in is the Cuben Fiber used by most manufacturers; CT1E.08, about 18g/sqm, .53oz sq.yd, break strength 68 lb/in is the one used by ZPacks.

SEAM CONSTRUCTION: The four corner seams have two lines of stitching and are taped on both sides with 1.25" wide Cuben tape. See photo below.

HMG UltaMid Seam