1st Post "I'll take it"
Display Avatars Sort By:
William F
(wkf) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: ^ on 02/11/2014 23:39:40 MST Print View

I agree, "I'll take it" makes more sense than "PM sent", but in the end no "rules" seems to be the consensus. It does help to hear what others are thinking so that we can avoid future miscommunications though.

Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
I'll take it on 02/12/2014 00:24:33 MST Print View

I buy and sell a bit on the Gear Swap Forum. I have missed out on items, sometimes for reasons I can't understand, but that is just too bad for me. It is the quick and the dead on the GSF and life isn't always fair. Losers will weep and rend their merino garments in rage and frustration while winners will wrap themselves in whatever cuben goodness they just scored and roll around the front yard in it laughing manically with glee. Wait a minute, that would be weird. I have never done that. Ever.

A seller can sell to whom ever they wish for what ever price and terms they want. If I feel a seller has treated me unfairly I would post it loud and clear and then never buy from that person again. When I sell, I make an effort to take the first firm offer I get. Not "I'll take it but I have few questions first",or "I am interested but have to sell some blood first to get the funds together" but rather "I'll take it at the price you want on the terms you want." I then make an effort to post a timely update. I don't wait just because someone was quick to ask me questions or express interest in an item. A simple "PM" or "PM Sent" in regards to a sale item is totally meaningless to me and in no way means dibs or I'm first. Posting "Dibs" or "I am first!" means I am first to me. Crazy, I know.

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 02/12/2014 00:26:01 MST.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: I'll take it on 02/12/2014 07:38:59 MST Print View

I've been trying to clear out my overflowing gear closet and selling stuff - I'm new at it, I'd never sold anything before. I get a notice of PMs in my inbox, I don't always have access to BPL while at work (whereas my email is always up).

I go by the first solid "I'll take it" either on PM or posted...once I see something in my inbox I try to check the forum to see if someone else was first, but to me the email/PM is much easier to manage throughout the day.

D S
(smoke) - F
Email on 02/12/2014 07:46:38 MST Print View

Let's face it folks, the BPL PM system is the SUCK. I don't like using it at all, as it has no History unless both parties copy/paste every time. I much prefer that the seller provide email info for contact. I like the White Blaze format, where user's emails are available as an option in the profile.

And as Dale said, sales are private transactions, so I don't like the "I'll take it" either.

Edited by smoke on 02/12/2014 07:54:13 MST.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Price on 02/12/2014 08:23:39 MST Print View

I wish the original seller would leave the price in the ad, after it has sold. Instead, we can't tell what that item is worth in the future if we sell an identical item.

Or, if you are not in the know you could just unknowingly sell it for 1/4 of it's worth, whatever...

Steve

Mark Andrews
(buldogge) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: I'll take it on 02/12/2014 08:38:31 MST Print View

I prefer the "looser" system we have here.

True, the PM system is archaic, with poor notifications, no history, no inbox, etc.

The hammockfroums system is a little flawed…Many sellers put very little info, and by the time you ask a question to get some clarification…the item is gone by the "I'll take it" method.

As others have mentioned…an ad with as much info as possible and clear pics would go a long way to making for quick transactions.

Also, if a seller is comfortable with it, email addresses in-ad make for quicker sales as well.

So…leave well enough alone, and all of us make concerted efforts to post "better ads".

My 2c.

-Mark in St. Louis

Ryan "Rudy" Oury
(ohdogg79)

Locale: East Bay - CA
Re: eBay on 02/12/2014 08:55:59 MST Print View

yeaaaaa... I dunno about that. GSF is a little wonky to use, but I used to sell a lot of things on eBay and its gone downhill. Way too many people bid on things, win, then back out of sale... sellers using "ghost" accounts to bid up prices... inaccurate descriptions w/ no good recourse... and don't forget that you have to pay FEES on eBay, whereas GSF is free.

Certainly eBay is a more professional venue, but I don't like it anymore. I'll live w/ the slight goofiness of GSF to not deal w/ eBay when buying/selling UL gear. After posting here and getting little interest, I have sold a fair bit of non-UL stuff on Geartrade.com. It does have fees, but guarantees payment, easy returns, no time limits or worry of selling for too little. For me, eBay is pretty much last resort now.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: eBay on 02/12/2014 09:07:21 MST Print View

I don't much about Gear Swap. In 5 years I have sold 1 item and bought 2. But many people seem to complain about it. I don't understand why so many people need to sell their gear either.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
No more stinking rules on 02/12/2014 13:03:26 MST Print View

I'm with Jennifer M. I may post something on gear swap, but that does not mean I am monitoring the thread. If you want an item PM or email (do as the seller instructs if he or she bothers to) immediately. You could be typing I"ll take it in the thread while another would-be buyer is PM-ing or emailing the seller to claim your item. I think what happens in the thread is secondary and incidental to contacting the buyer directly and committing to buy the item in a definite (or immediate) period of time. Just my $0.02. I know it's frustrating, but such is life. Excellent lesson without real pain or loss - in fact you SAVE money.

Rick Adams
(rickadams100) - M
who cares? on 02/12/2014 13:15:32 MST Print View

This alledged problem isn't even worth talking about. You win some you lose some. No need for rule changes for percieved wrong doings. If you don't like how gear swap works don't use it. Damn, fret over real problems.