Forum Index » Gear Swap » 1st Post "I'll take it"

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Miller
(millergear) - F

Locale: SE
1st Post "I'll take it" on 02/11/2014 16:24:32 MST Print View

How about a rule, 1st Post "I'll take it" gets it?

It's been very frustrating to me both as a Buyer and a Seller when deals are offered/struck off Thread.

Opinions?

Eric Johnson
(unimog) - MLife

Locale: Utah
Up to the seller on 02/11/2014 17:02:55 MST Print View

I'd say it is up to the seller. If they want to monitor BPL to see what is going on, then they can state, as others have, that the first post on BPL determines the buyer. When there is a little negotiation or clarification of shipping, etc, that is pretty hard to carry out on the forum.

William F
(wkf) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: Up to the seller on 02/11/2014 17:30:42 MST Print View

I think "PM sent", and if that deal goes through, "payment sent" are sufficient. This puts the responsibility on the potential buyer and not the seller, who may or may not be responding as quickly as some buyers would like. "PM sent" and "payment sent" are status updates for all potential buyers. If you have "PM sent" down first then you are first in line, but not necessarily guaranteed the sale (until you actually pay). If the owner doesn't want to honor first come first serve then that is their call, though I would think most people expect and do honor that unwritten rule. I would hope so at least. Sometimes people make honest mistakes, particularly on an item that is highly coveted and may be a matter of minutes difference. This is just my opinion, does anyone else agree? Or have a better suggestion?

Steven Miller
(millergear) - F

Locale: SE
1st Post "I'll take it" on 02/11/2014 17:58:27 MST Print View

The issue I see with "PM sent" is that it isn't clear. Was it a commitment to buy. A question? An offer (below the asking price)?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: 1st Post "I'll take it" on 02/11/2014 18:11:05 MST Print View

Either way works for me and I buy and sell a lot.

I am more concerned with the timeline, if I tell somone I
want to buy an item I pay within a few minutes or tell
them I will pay in X amount of time. Often folks say they will
take something and not reply back for hours and others are queing up.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Rules don't work. on 02/11/2014 18:25:30 MST Print View

I think any effort to further regulate things will just fail.

People who care don't make issues and everything goes smooth. People who don't care or are discourteous wouldn't be more inclined to do things nicely if we add more rules.

Better to just encourage good behavior with clear parameters in your FS post.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Rules don't work on 02/11/2014 18:37:28 MST Print View

I got a PM the other night and had no way to respond as they did not have a PM set up nor had any posts to figure out who they were nor did they supply an email addy. I had a few stoves for sale earlier in the winter they were asking about.
Duane

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Up to the seller on 02/11/2014 18:50:33 MST Print View

"If you have "PM sent" down first then you are first in line"

Not necessarily true. Some folks just send a PM to the seller without posting that in the forums, which might be one of the things Steven is getting to in his initial post. I've done it myself. I don't see an issue with it. I guess I figure it's up to the seller to keep everyone informed in his/her FS thread, and I think most sellers sell to whoever contacts them with the first "I'll take it, what's your paypal addy," whether that's by PM or thread posting.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
With Max on 02/11/2014 18:53:50 MST Print View

I agree with Max.

Ryan "Rudy" Oury
(ohdogg79) - M

Locale: East Bay - CA
Re: Re: Re: Up to the seller on 02/11/2014 18:58:59 MST Print View

Yea, to max's point, certainly seems to me that any "rules" would be pretty useless, generally ignored and impossible to police. Its a bit of a crap shoot as a buyer, especially if trying to buy a really popular item. But it is the seller's responsibility to state their personal selling rules up front and to be fair, though there isn't anyway to know if they are. Just gotta understand that going in...

Trace Richardson
(tracedef) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Keep it simple on 02/11/2014 19:30:20 MST Print View

My take: Keep it simple, no rules. Seller dictates whether PM, email or thread response .... If someone doesn't have PM's turned on or whatever .... that's their bad. Just be clear on how you expect a response and if someone doesn't follow your instructions, too bad ... there may be gnashing of teeth and tears flowing, if they don't get item, but that's on them.

Robert Jones
(rjones07) - MLife

Locale: San Diego
Other site thoughts on 02/11/2014 19:30:29 MST Print View

To help in using this site:
Clothing - in heading indicate size, man or women's
Hiking gear - indicate weight
Sales - when certain item is sold edit item and Post SOLD IN HEADING

This will help in searching for items.
RJ

Jason Guerricabeitia
(BasqueJ88) - M
rules on 02/11/2014 19:43:27 MST Print View

I agree with this^^^. Also, I think leaving up the final selling price is nice as well so sellers down the road have some sort of guideline on how to price their item based past sales.

Mike Prohoroff
(Mjprohoroff1)

Locale: Southern Oregon
"I'll take it" on 02/11/2014 20:36:14 MST Print View

Hammock forums uses the "I'll take it" rule and it seems to work really well. They do have mods that keep everything running smoothly. For what it's worth, I like the "I'll take it" method.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: 1st Post "I'll take it" on 02/11/2014 20:52:31 MST Print View

It seems simple to me: Everyone who can read the ad also has the ability to respond to the ad in the thread. If the seller has posted his terms clearly, and a buyer declares "I'll take it!", then to me that sounds like a done deal. PMs can also be sent to alert the seller that he has a buyer, in case he's not monitoring the thread. General questions should be asked in the thread because someone else might have the same question. There might be some confusion if a seller is listing multiple items. In such cases, the seller should spell out whether or not he will break up the set. Shipping terms should also be spelled out. If a potential buyer still has questions, he should try to get an answer either in the thread or via PM before announcing "I'll take it" in the thread. "PM sent" in the thread is too vague.

Edit: Did not realize that non-members could read gear swap threads. I never experienced BPL as a non-member.

Edited by pitsy on 02/12/2014 14:14:17 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
eBay on 02/11/2014 21:10:29 MST Print View

Problem solved.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: 1st Post "I'll take it" on 02/11/2014 21:51:45 MST Print View

"Everyone who can read the ad also has the ability to respond to the ad in the thread."

That's not true. I bought a few things on Gear Swap before I decided to buy a forum membership. Free accounts are still able to see the Gear Swap forum, and they're still able to PM.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: 1st Post "I'll take it" on 02/11/2014 21:59:42 MST Print View

"I'll take it" is pretty clear. "PM sent" just means a message has been sent, further complicated by sellers using email accounts they don't monitor directly. A simple solution would be for the prospective buyer to be more succinct: "PM sent with questions" or "PM sent with offer" to which the seller might respond with "still available" if the offer was not accepted. Just good clear basic communication.

BTW, "I'm interested" means nothing and is really weak. If you want the thing, say so. If you have a question, ask!

+1 on posting size, gender, etc in the title. Giving basic measurements for clothing helps too: across the armpits, back length, center of collar to cuff for tops and across the waist and inseam for bottoms. Weights of course. Photos, definitely yes.

As to leaving the prices up, the sales are ultimately private transactions. If the seller wants to leave it, fine; if not, it really is no one else's business. There are so many variables that it is pretty much useless anyway.

Honesty, courtesy, and personal integrity are the keys.

The forum format is not a perfect world and the sales should be kept in perspective: this is small stuff. Breathe.

I would like to add something on Pay if Forward offers: if you accept a PIF item, follow through with a reciprocal PIF and keep the spirit of the thing going.

My $0.02

Edited by dwambaugh on 02/12/2014 13:11:43 MST.

janos mathiesen
(janosm) - F

Locale: phinney ridge
My 2cents on 02/11/2014 22:21:05 MST Print View

I also think it's the sellers option to sell to whoever he/she pleases even if for hard-to-understand reasons. Buying and selling is a fluid affair that has elements of timing (whether seller or buyer checks computer often etc...), indecision (buyers and sellers both back out for a myriad of reasons) and personal preferences. I'm just saying that attempts to regulate how we buy and sell (short of dishonesty and misrepresentation) does not seem appropriate, tenable or needed.
Again, my humble opinion.

Thayne N
(teethless) - MLife

Locale: SF CA
^ on 02/11/2014 22:57:45 MST Print View

Janos and Dale nailed it.