Forum Index » Chaff » Southeast posters unite - snowmaggedon Feb 2014!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Southeast posters unite - snowmaggedon Feb 2014! on 02/11/2014 07:37:40 MST Print View

Sitting here watching some light flurries and awaiting what may be, for us at least, a significant winter weather event. Schools already closing early, airport questionable, etc...

I'm in Charlotte - as usual right on the fault line between snow and sleet (I've always wondered if there is an actual climatalogical or meteorological reason for this or just 100% bad fortune...) and I'll take 1 foot of snow versus any sleet/ice.

Hoping for all snow and no power outage. I have a generator just in case, gas fireplace, etc... and inlaws not too far away who hopefully will have power if we dont.

How are other southeasterners doing today? IMBY observations, hopes, dreams?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Southeast posters unite - snowmaggedon Feb 2014! on 02/11/2014 14:01:17 MST Print View

I'm in the DC area, so it's heading our way tomorrow. I'm hoping for a foot of snow, but doubt we'll get anything near that.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Southeast posters unite - snowmaggedon Feb 2014! on 02/11/2014 17:20:19 MST Print View

I'm in Richmond and was planning to head to NYC on Thursday. Guess that is cancelled!! Expecting a mix of heavy snow, sleet and freezing rain. I have my esbit stove at the ready and dehydrated food in case the power goes out.

Sean Heenan
(roadster1) - M

Locale: Southeast mountains
Re: Southeast posters unite - snowmaggedon Feb 2014! on 02/11/2014 18:45:38 MST Print View

I agree, hoping we don't get freezing rain, and just snow but it seems that the temps that we are supposed to be at will make it a close call. Thankfully it will be short lived supposed to be in the 40's Thursday and up to 60 by Sunday. I for one am looking forward to Spring, it has been a cold gray winter, I want some nice warm sunny days. I'm in Charlotte also and it's been an unusual winter.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
unusual indeed on 02/12/2014 08:47:29 MST Print View

definitely a colder and grayer winter than usual in the CLT. I don't play with ice - the forecast seems to call for a greater risk yesterday - so I've stocked in a bit more supplies than I normally would for a snow event.

Losing power poses a variety of different issues. One thing I've got plenty of light and batteries(too many flashlights than I should have when all lined up... doh)

Sean Heenan
(roadster1) - M

Re: unusual indeed on 02/12/2014 09:27:36 MST Print View

Snowmageddon started a couple of hours ago and hopefully it stays snow and not turn to ice/sleet. If it keeps going like this all day we will get maybe a foot of snow. I've got my stoves out and headlamps/flashlights are at the ready, some wood for the fireplace but without heat I don't know how long we'll last, praying for power.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: unusual indeed on 02/12/2014 11:22:25 MST Print View

"praying for power."

Have you already lost power? that sucks. One of my best purchases over the last three years was a generator. About $600, but it will run my fridge and my gas fireplace and a few incidentals. Enough to keep the food fresh and me and the pup warm.

Sean Heenan
(roadster1) - M

Re: Re: Re: unusual indeed on 02/12/2014 13:33:31 MST Print View

No, I'm sorry my post was unclear and did make it sound like we'd already lost power, not yet. It has stopped snowing and changed over to sleet and freezing rain. My neighborhood seems to be the first to lose power, but so far so good.