Bacon
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Bacon on 02/09/2014 18:12:52 MST Print View

Is there anything like this on the market?

This was state-of-the-art fine dining for backpackers about 35 years ago. This and powdered eggs represented all we needed for breakfast.

bacon bar

--B.G.--

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Bacon on 02/09/2014 18:51:35 MST Print View

Perhaps not exactly, but the Oberto bacon jerky is pretty darned good.

http://store.oberto.com/product/All_Natural_Bacon_Jerky_25_OZ/98152.aspx

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Bacon on 02/09/2014 19:05:04 MST Print View

Yup, you can find several brands of pre-cooked packaged bacon in the supermarket now. Perfect with instant mashed potatoes.

Timothy Epp
(Rush2112) - F

Locale: Southwest British Columbia
PRE-COOKED BACON on 02/09/2014 21:20:24 MST Print View

I'll second the pre-cooked bacon, but the Hormel 3oz packages of real bacon bits are also great for mashed potatoes and well, just about everything.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: BACON on 02/09/2014 21:58:44 MST Print View

Yup, if women really wanted to attract men, they should chuck the Chanel #5 and get bacon perfume. They will have very protective dog friends too :)

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Bacon on 02/09/2014 23:02:47 MST Print View

I have found oscar mayor brand pre-cooked bacon at my local safeway. It's dry but not too dry and last for a while when opened.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Bacon on 02/09/2014 23:06:17 MST Print View

Basically, the answer seems to be that there are no more bacon bars.

--B.G.--

William F
(wkf) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Bacon on 02/10/2014 13:51:56 MST Print View

Maybe others are wondering like me, what is that stuff Bob? My friend's dad makes his own homemade "bacon bars". My friend brought some with him to his dorm back in college (I lived across the hall) and I can remember those things stinking like no other. Our hall monitor-person or whatever you call them made him get rid of them (and we all fully supported that).

Brian Crain
(brcrain) - F

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Re: Bacon on 02/10/2014 14:01:44 MST Print View

Roses are red.
Bacon is also red.
Poems are hard.
Bacon.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Bacon on 02/10/2014 14:08:53 MST Print View

Bob, I know of what you speak*, but I haven't noticed any for a few decades. That said, a trip to Safeway and 2 minutes with my vac-packer and I could recreate that at a little lower weight. How much are you looking for? A restaurant supplier (like my next-door neighbor) could probably get real bacon bits in #10 cans or a 5-pound pouch for not nearly so much per pound. Then hammer it into a hockey puck shape and vac-pack it.

The stuff keeps just fine without vac-packing, but I note that every time I've had to chase a black bear off from a companion's backpack in CA, the bear had gone for the pack with salami in it.

*I backpacked with a young women in 1984 who worked at a different BP store. She'd been told to "hang up the bacon bars on the display rack" and hole-punched all 24 right through the vac-packed portion. So she had bacon bars on LOTS of her trips that year.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
1960's comfort foods on 02/10/2014 14:11:06 MST Print View

I predict that Bob's next thread will be about Hershey's Tropical Chocolate Bars and how he traversed Panama (before the Canal) with nothing but a rucksack full of them.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Bacon on 02/10/2014 15:04:12 MST Print View

I suppose that I could empty several bags of bacon bits into a metal form and then beat it all into submission, but I think something would be missing in the texture. It needs some sort of meaty binder.

--B.G.--

Dave Heiss
(DaveHeiss) - M

I remember those on 02/10/2014 16:19:58 MST Print View

As David said, the bags of precooked bacon bits you can buy nowadays are just a non-vacuum packed version of the old bacon bricks we had in the 70's. I suppose you could add a little bacon grease as a binder if you'd like to pound the bacon pieces into a form that holds its shape.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: PRE-COOKED BACON on 02/10/2014 16:44:29 MST Print View

"I'll second the pre-cooked bacon, but the Hormel 3oz packages of real bacon bits are also great for mashed potatoes and well, just about everything."

Including issuing an invitation to every bear within a mile or so to drop in for a late night dinner. A great addition to almost any meal, but it does come with that downside.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
. on 02/10/2014 16:50:44 MST Print View

Bacon.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
chocolate bacon bar.... yea... on 02/10/2014 16:59:38 MST Print View

http://www.madeinoregon.com/Lillie_Belle-s_Chocolate_Bacon_Bar.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Froogle&gclid=CI2l3qngwrwCFUdqfgodT2UAVQ

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Re: chocolate bacon bar.... yea... on 02/10/2014 17:08:52 MST Print View

I prefer white mint cake with my bacon bars. Maybe this is what destroyed my descending colon, I may have confused my esbits and Mint cakes.

Bacon bar

Kendal

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
Bacon Bars! on 02/16/2014 18:02:39 MST Print View

I had forgotten about Bacon Bars, but they were pretty wonderful. We used those, and salted beef slices that was sold in glass jars. I don't remember us ever using beef jerky in the 60s, I wonder why that was not available?

Hershey Tropical Chocolate Bars! Those were absolutely not that great, but they didn't melt, did they? I later found out that payday bars don't melt either.