Forum Index » Winter Hiking » Your coldest night camping?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Minus on 02/07/2014 18:01:57 MST Print View

Now I understand why SoCal is overpopulated.

And soon to be underhydrated maybe?

One can get cold acclimated somewhat. I do so by under dressing somewhat and allowing myself to be slightly cold for shorter everyday exposures.

This winter has been "real" (some call it "real ____" ... omitting a word that obscenity filters moght not allow:-) The low temp here has been 0F or lower 18 of the last 19 days in the heart of a major city ... colder out of town.

I walked about a mile to a destination at 9am today with temp at zero and was never tempted to take an indoor alternative for about 1/3 of the distance. Walking back four hours later it had "warmed" to +10F and I didn't remember to put on mittens until I got to the exposed part of the route and felt the wind.

But the first windy sub 30F morning 3-4 months ago felt like I'd been teleported to Antarctica!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
WOW! on 02/07/2014 21:16:18 MST Print View

Holy Chit man! I didn't realize so many prople read Winter Hiking.

Well, my best sleeping bag/mattress combo follows:

OUTER BAG-> -20 F. MH synthetic (Polarguard Delta) bag W/ zippered expandable gore
INNER BAG-> +20 F. WM Megalite down bag (fits inside the expanded MH bag very nicely)

MATTRESSES-> Thermarest Trail Pro regular over a Ridgerest regular

That combo of bags and matresses SHOULD get me comfortably to -30 F. with a thick balaclava and Psolar breath warming mask.

Edited by Danepacker on 04/03/2014 15:07:23 MDT.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Minus on 02/08/2014 08:04:15 MST Print View

Perhaps you've heard no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing ??

OK, enough cabin fever here. Where are my snowshoes?

Mark Andrews
(buldogge) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Your coldest night camping? on 02/08/2014 18:11:54 MST Print View

Coldest night was just experienced this past year at LCW in CO…around -7 actual air temps, 9500'.

I was in my TT Notch and used both my Pinnacle and a Marmot Nanowave as an overbag…atop my NeoAir AllSeason.

Wore 200wt merino top, bottom, and beanie.

Slept nice and warm…didn't want to leave the tent in the morning though!

-Mark in St. Louis

Edited by buldogge on 02/08/2014 18:13:08 MST.

Travis Bernard
(DispatchesfromtheNorth) - F - M

Locale: Lake Laberge
First Winter Camp Tonight on 02/08/2014 19:06:25 MST Print View

Set up camp this afternoon on a little island (Dog Island) about 600m from our cabin. Going to be my first real winter camp. Got burbot set-lines set up too, so hopefully I'll have fish for breakfast. Temperature at our place is -19C right now (-2F) but it should get down to -25Cish (-13F) tonight. North wind started blowing in at around 5pm, so with windchill I expect it to be a tad colder than that. I'll report back tomorrow...

Dog Island Winter Camp

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
friday night on 02/09/2014 07:45:04 MST Print View

Coldest camp this year was a balmy 2F on Friday night.

Edited by stephenm on 02/09/2014 16:55:07 MST.

Charley White
(charleywhite) - F

Locale: Petaluma, CA
coldest night camping on 02/09/2014 11:38:49 MST Print View

Two at minus-twenty-something F.

First: I was twenty-something, with GF>wife, went in Miller Meadows above Tahoe West shore, mild day, NF dbl-wall pup-tent, 15 degree Snow Lion SuperLite down bag, on--blue foam, cause too poor for ensolite! Slept on stomach, shivering up enough warmth to fall asleep; shiver; repeat. Early hours, began hearing large-caliber rifle fire all around us. Got home & mutual friend said, "whoa, it was twenty below at Tahoe this weekend."
Expect expansion of water in dead tree limbs produces rifle sounds.

Second: Marcy Dam in Adirondacks, with 13yo nephew/godson on our first outing. Above freezing when we got NNN-BC gear at Adirondack Loj. Eschewed lean-to for Megamid. Two Marmot goretex (I know) Snowgoose 0deg down bags on thermarests on ridgerests. Massive ice plate on bag by chin; only ever frost before. Rental boots solid ice. Twenty minutes jumping-jacke; fire stove & feed nephew; get everything together while P still in bag; say, "Now!" Balmy zero back at the Loj, where they said it was twenty below last night. To cheat death we had brushed out teeth with Skittles.

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Travis' Camp on 02/09/2014 12:05:01 MST Print View

Travis, your camp looks very inviting. How did you fare after? Please let us know.

Derrick

Travis Bernard
(DispatchesfromtheNorth) - F - M

Locale: Lake Laberge
Cold Camp on 02/09/2014 12:33:53 MST Print View

Made it back to the cabin about 40 minutes ago after spending last night at camp. Didn't have a thermometer at camp but when I got back to the cabin it was -28C. I'm guessing it got down to at least -30C (-22F) last night. A few observations:

-Zippers suck in cold weather if there is any moisture. My sleeping bag zipper was tough to work as was my down jacket.

-2mm lightweight guylines might be too finicky in really cold weather. I was able to tie my guylines without gloves, and without too much hassle but any colder and it would have been a terrible experience. I think paracord would have been easier to work with.

-I wish I could use close cell foam pads year round, but I find them too uncomfortable. So great to have it as a seat cushion. Also used it on the ice when I was getting my setlines ready.

-I need a little thermometer to take along.

-A small cooler is certainly not lightweight, but if you are using a sled it's really handy. Keeps things from freezing, stores fragile things well, and can be used as a seat around camp.

All in all, it was a pretty great night. After I packed up camp this morning I headed out and checked the 4 setlines I set the night before. Caught 1 pike and 1 burbot. Looks like it will be burbot for supper tonight.

Cheers,
Travis

This was the view I had when I woke up this morning:
Morning View

Mitchell Rossman
(bigmitch)

Locale: Minneapolis-St. Paul
Coldest night camping on 02/10/2014 19:28:19 MST Print View

At least -25f in an open bivy at Arrowhead Ultra. No big deal.

Very common to see large crowds doing the same at the various snowmobile shelters scattered along the race course.

If someone starts a fire, he will draw a huge crowd of very happy racers. Must be a throw back to our primitive past.

Joshua A
(Aberrix) - M
BWCA on 02/11/2014 09:59:38 MST Print View

-38F in the BWCA, northern Minnesota. slept great, just didn't wanna get out of my bag in the morning :)