(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Sleep System for Bikepacking. on 02/07/2014 00:53:45 MST Print View

Thanks Dale.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Poncho on 02/07/2014 08:37:37 MST Print View

A poncho isn't a perfect system for me for a couple of reasons. Firstly, a poncho is redundant with my rain jacket and rain pants, which I'm already bringing for use on the bike. So, the role it fills isn't ideal, even if it is slightly more comfortable at rest, perhaps.

Secondly, if I were to bring a tarp, I'd bring something like an MLD Dog Tarp for the head section of the bivy, which is smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a poncho.

Dale's point was, however, well understood and there didn't need to be a question raised there.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Poncho on 02/07/2014 10:42:52 MST Print View

There's a lot to be said for the tarp/eVent or Goretex bivy combo. The largest reason I don't use that system now is that no matter how I slice it, I can't put that combo together in a way that's lighter than my Zpacks tent.

I do like the fact that I can throw the bivy down just about anywhere and not worry about stakes getting pulled out in a windstorm, etc. I often used the USGI bivy with a poncho tarp in the military. We never used poles or stakes. Just tied the ridgeline up between two trees and tied the corners down to deadfall, rocks, bushes, whatever were within reach.