Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 02/26/2014 00:43:08 MST Print View

Great to have you along Andy :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/04/2014 10:59:42 MST Print View

Its all coming together now :-)

Edited by stephenm on 03/05/2014 12:29:51 MST.

Rob P
(rpjr) - M
Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/12/2014 20:32:52 MDT Print View

I might be able to do this…is there still room?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/13/2014 04:53:24 MDT Print View

Hi Rob,

We have plenty of room :-)

It would be great to have you along.

Edited by stephenm on 03/19/2014 09:53:58 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/19/2014 09:55:06 MDT Print View

Folks,

My proposal would be to do the full circuit on both sides of the river.
What are folks thought?

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/19/2014 12:04:35 MDT Print View

Stephen

By this you mean the Manastee River Train and the North Country Trail? Honestly, I'm down for anything. The more hiking and the more we see, the better in my mind.

I'm down for April 25-27 BTW. What would be the planned time to meet up on the 25th and where?

KJ

Edited by f8less on 03/19/2014 12:07:11 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/19/2014 12:25:15 MDT Print View

Hi Kenneth,

Thats right, we would either combine the Manistee River & North Counry Trial in to a loop or else do an out and back on the Manistee, I dont mind which one.

I am thinking we would meet either at the trail head or in the town of Mesick which is about 10 miles aways.

It will depend on what time folk want to meet but I can meet any time after 2\3pm, It won't be dark until 8.30\9.00 so we could meet much later also.

I will get everyones email closer to the trip and we will work out the logistics offline.

Nathan V
(Junk) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lake State
Re: Re: Re: Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/19/2014 15:37:05 MDT Print View

The full loop around both sides of the river is fine with me too. Also, I can meet up any time on the 25th. What trail head are you referring to? I usually park at the south end of the loop at the gravel lot, East of the bridge on Coates Hwy.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/19/2014 16:14:47 MDT Print View

Stephen, I will know the Friday morning of the decided date. I don't know what my work schedule is like in April. However, I may be able to get my wife to go instead of being a hiking widow.

Edited by asdzxc57 on 03/19/2014 16:15:24 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/19/2014 16:41:06 MDT Print View

Hi Nathan,

If we do the full loop it would be best to start at Marilla Trail head and do the route
Anti clockwise, we would need to "camel" up with water for Friday night/Saturday morning as getting to the river
Can be a pain from the North County trail, we would then hit the river and have as much water as we want
For the rest of the weekend. My buddy reckons doing this way is better than doing it clockwise.

Hi Tim,

It would be great to have you and your wife along.

Nathan V
(Junk) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lake State
Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/19/2014 17:17:43 MDT Print View

That sounds like it would work, I've not done the trail that particular way before.
I have done it several times clockwise and counter-clockwise, but always from the south side of the loop. Each of those ways works well too. If you do the west side first, you just have to carry enough water till you get to Eddington Creek (maybe about 8 miles), then after that, water is usually plentiful.

Edited by Junk on 03/19/2014 17:28:29 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/19/2014 17:31:16 MDT Print View

Sounds good Nathan,

I have often parked at Seaton Creek campground, it does add a few more miles on to the loop though.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/20/2014 19:23:41 MDT Print View

Camping on the NCT side (west) is wild, but less water and less people.
But the view is not as good. FS side (east) more water, better, view, but fixed sites.
It really doesn't matter to me, all hike is good hike.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Michigan GGG (or just a plain old backpacking trip) on 03/20/2014 19:32:17 MDT Print View

Hi Tim,

An out and back on the Manistee Trail is definitley more scenic.

Lets see what the collective thinks.

Kyle Tayler
(recover1) - F - M

Locale: Michigan
Room for one more? on 03/21/2014 10:39:32 MDT Print View

Very new here and not sure how this works, I don't want to invite myself if this isn't that kind of event. However, if you will take a stranger and you have room for one more this sounds great. My cabin is just down the road at Caberfae and I was already planning to head up there.

Edited by recover1 on 03/21/2014 11:02:27 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Room for one more? on 03/21/2014 11:03:05 MDT Print View

Hi Kyle,

You are welcome to come along, the more the merrier :-)

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Room for one more? on 03/21/2014 21:30:47 MDT Print View

I am unfortunately not going to be able to get up there for the weekend. I broke my ankle last month and I'm not going to be going for any walks just yet. Sniff, sniff....

But my favorite way to do the loop is to stay at the red bridge campsites right by the highway on Friday night, hike north along the NCT Saturday and camp about a third of the way back down the MRT side. Then hike back to the cars Sunday. I think I'm one of the few people who actually really like the NCT side. The MRT side is soooo crowded these days and I really like the terrain of the NCT side...no need to do an out and back.

So if I were going that would be my vote ;)

Have fun guys....I'll be sad.......

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Room for one more? on 03/22/2014 06:28:19 MDT Print View

Hi Jen,

That's a shame you cannot come along. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hopefully we will meetup later in the year.

Edited by stephenm on 03/22/2014 13:02:50 MDT.

Andy Berner
(Berner9) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Michigan GGG on 03/22/2014 11:02:12 MDT Print View

Id be interested. I really don't have my gear anymore but I might be able to put together something. I could at least do a long day hike(I've hiked the loop in a day two times before. Makes for an exhausting day). If anyone else wanted to do half the loop we could car pool. Sounds easier to me.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Michigan GGG on 03/22/2014 13:04:45 MDT Print View

Hi Andy,

It would be great to have you along, are you short much gear?